Why Humans Have Holidays

Tim Smith

1 hour ago, Jesse Screed said:

How could I possibly know who you are talking about if you don't tell me? 

My deity is Jesus, but I hesitated to say it because they say no religion is allowed.  When talking about the Christmas holiday, it's really hard to avoid, even though the holiday never originated from him per se. It's a pagan holiday that Christians also celebrate. We can thank the RCC for that. I am not RCC. The Jewish things are really more pivotal.

I don't really see the holiday as a religious holiday, but it includes religion. How about Easter? Kids under 10 it's about the chocolate easter bunny.

Sort of the same as veteran's day maybe. I appreciate the efforts of those who have fought for freedom, but I wonder how many people actually think about it when having those cookouts?  

Now Halloween....that one has extremes on both ends.

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

My deity is Jesus, but I hesitated to say it because they say no religion is allowed. 

OK Tim, now I understand you better.  Thanks for clearing it up.

1 hour ago, Tim Smith said:

Sort of the same as veteran's day maybe. I appreciate the efforts of those who have fought for freedom, but I wonder how many people actually think about it when having those cookouts?  

Well, I don't know where the tipping point is for you, but there are over 16 million veterans alive in the US today, and I would guess that they care about Veterans day, and their families might also. 

I have been surprised so many times by what I thought people actually think and then I ask them or they tell me. and then I know how wrong I was.

Thanks for the clarification, and I hope you have a great day off.

Also, keep making that great music you present on the forum.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

My deity is Jesus, but I hesitated to say it because they say no religion is allowed.  When talking about the Christmas holiday, it's really hard to avoid, even though the holiday never originated from him per se. It's a pagan holiday that Christians also celebrate. We can thank the RCC for that. I am not RCC. The Jewish things are really more pivotal.

I don't really see the holiday as a religious holiday, but it includes religion. How about Easter? Kids under 10 it's about the chocolate easter bunny.

Now Halloween....that one has extremes on both ends.

Since most religious scholars place both his birth and crucifixion in September, other existing pagan holidays (one that celebrated evergreen trees to provide hope to get through the winter, and another that celebrated the fertility of spring) were borrowed.  I personally just enjoy the atmosphere of the occasions and know that over-thinking any of them tends to be a buzz-kill.

The higher levels of all these subjects are very far beyond the scope of this little forum! 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 3:56 PM, pwalpwal said:

thanks to the trade unions that got us holidays (and so much more)

Yep, this month alone they've given us no nurses, no ambulances, no trains, no buses, no postal service, no immigration staff, no luggage handlers, no driving tests........

Who couldn't love the unions ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paulo said:

Yep, this month alone they've given us no nurses, no ambulances, no trains, no buses, no postal service, no immigration staff, no luggage handlers, no driving tests........

Thank Bob the pubs remain open, ya??? 😮

59 minutes ago, paulo said:

yeah i wonder why they're doing this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

Hmmm, let me think about that........... busy time of year.........so.......not much chance that the boss will let them have very much time off............ what to do, what to do....?

7 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

Some people have so little understanding about what's going on, it's saddening. The ignorant lap up the bullshit fed to them by the right-wing press,

This should help explain it for the hard-of-thinking: