Spectral Layers

Grem

2 hours ago, InstrEd said:

On my wish list too to upgrade my copy but not an urgent as I have older version.

Ahem...
Steinberg SpectraLayers Pro 9 - Upgrade from SpectraLayers Pro 6 or 7  $59.99

Edit:
SpectraLayers Elements by Steinberg - Spectral Audio Editor VST VST3  $47.99
Steinberg SpectraLayers Pro 9 - Upgrade from SpectraLayers Elements 6, 7, or 8  $131.99
or get both $179.98 as save @20.01 over Steinberg deal.

I have Pro v8 - need to check new features before I jump...

Edited by TheSteven

This has also been included in the Samplitude Suite, but not sure prices (something to check as well). v4 was included in the Samplitude Suite at the time of the Gibson debacle, and when I got v7 it was the same price to upgrade SpectraLayers individually as to upgrade the Samplitude Suite to get it (plus Convology XT). If buying only SpectraLayers for the first-time, I am not sure if it will get better than the $179 (but check the crossgrade too!). As with a lot of these packages, the on-ramp is fairly brutal (then they bleed you slowly over the years to keep it updated).

Edited by mettelus
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, abacab said:

If you have iZotope RX do you really need SpectraLayers?

Kinda what I was thinking.  I was going to watch for SpectraLayers sale, but have since picked up RX 9 Standard on a pretty good bundle deal in Feb.  Gonna pass on Spectra, even if it goes to $119. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, abacab said:

If you have iZotope RX do you really need SpectraLayers?

Been playing with the demo of Spectral. It is easy to work with for sure. I am getting good results from just playing with it for a few hours. I was able to remove the vocal trk from a song really easy. Then the slight imperfections that was left were fairly easy (for a newb like me) to mitigate. I am sure it can do much more, but the UI is really easy to work with. They have won me over. And I have RX 10 Standard.

As a comparison I was opening RX 10 and trying to do the same things in it that I was doing in Spectral, and I ain't saying it can't be done... Spectral's UI made it a whole lot easier for me. And that's pretty much what won me over.

4 hours ago, mettelus said:

the on-ramp is fairly brutal (then they bleed you slowly over the years to keep it updated).

LOL!!! Well said!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 2

I have RX 9 Advanced, but really cannot speak to a comparison because I rarely use it. Over the past few versions SpectraLayers has added repair features seemingly identical to RX, but I use SpectraLayers to unmix stems more than anything (then tear into them). RX to me is more of a repair tool and I am not sure if it can unmix stems? Hopefully someone who uses RX regularly can speak to this better (I cannot).

11 minutes ago, mettelus said:

RX to me is more of a repair tool and I am not sure if it can unmix stems? Hopefully someone who uses RX regularly can speak to this better (I cannot).

Unmix stems? Not from the Standard version. I didn't see any way to do this.

Hopefully some RX users will chime in.

4 hours ago, Grem said:

Unmix stems? Not from the Standard version. I didn't see any way to do this.

Hopefully some RX users will chime in.

I have not used the stem separator, other than to observe the function out of curiosity.  I've only used RX 9 Standard for "fixing" problems (usually some kind of noise) in old recordings.  It is called "Music Rebalance" and you will find it referenced by same in the manual.  When you click "Separate" in the Rebalance window, it splits the audio into four stems vocal/bass/percussion/other as new tabs in the RX Editor.  Each tab can be edited, exported, etc. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

It is called "Music Rebalance" and you will find it referenced by same in the manual.  When you click "Separate" in the Rebalance window, it splits the audio into four stems vocal/bass/percussion/other as new tabs in the RX Editor.  Each tab can be edited, exported, etc. 

Thanks Brian. I will give this a shot and see what I get.

Will get back before too long.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

I have not used the stem separator, other than to observe the function out of curiosity.  I've only used RX 9 Standard for "fixing" problems (usually some kind of noise) in old recordings.  It is called "Music Rebalance" and you will find it referenced by same in the manual.  When you click "Separate" in the Rebalance window, it splits the audio into four stems vocal/bass/percussion/other as new tabs in the RX Editor.  Each tab can be edited, exported, etc. 

Thank you for posting this. I did a quick test of this (RX 9 Advanced versus SpectraLayers Pro 9), and the unmix stem results were comparable on the same song using default presets. Both of them took roughly 90 seconds to unmix stems from a song 7:30 in length. From that perspective, RX Standard would match that feature. SpectraLayers (Pro) will also drill down two more levels of unmixing, but it is very dependent on the reverb usage in the master to get a pristine (or even suitable) track. If mixing back into the same master, it is pretty transparent since the material missing that caused the phasing is in another stem. In many cases it can also be mixed into another composition. SpectraLayers Pro 9 also includes features of RX Advanced (Ambient matching and some of the more precision tools), so it really comes down to what you want to use it for (and if you already own RX Standard/Advanced). The display resolution in Pro 9 (and responsiveness of the GUI) is better IMO, and they are obviously monitoring each other's products (navigation is identical in many regards between them). As with all things, they each have a trial version to test out (highly recommended), and the comparison charts for RX and SpectraLayers are available.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I've not needed to unmix anything yet, but Music Rebalance is interesting in that it might be useful for creating a backing track minus one part for practice or jamming. Has anyone tried that?

This is primarily how I use it; either for practice, covers, or to redo a friend's work from 20+ years ago that only existed as an analog master. Drums can be redone with drum replacer (or similar) if not used outright, other tracks can be re-performed and matched as necessary. Depending on frequency content of a song, content belonging to one stem may end up in another, so a little surgery may be required for a jam track. This is often best done by bringing the stems into a DAW and moving that content to an additional track (also alleviates phasing issues from reverb in many cases), then muting the track(s) you want to remove.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Didn't this come with Cubase Pro?

Nope.  Cubase 12 (and maybe 11?) comes with "Spectralayers One".  Steiny allows no upgrade path to SpectraLayers Pro, according to the fine print on the upgrade page.

https://www.steinberg.net/spectralayers/compare-editions/

In regard to UNMIX function, "One" is limited to vocals only.  I own Cubase Pro 12 but have not tried that function, as so far I have not found a use for it.  Admittedly cool technology though.