My so very big Christmas Gift (to myself)

Bapu

I picked up a 2nd Universal Audio Apollo x8p interface. I'll now have 16 channels of Unison capability plus the 2 extra from my Apollo Twin X.

I also have an ebay offer/bid on an 3rd Apollo x8p that I'll know tomorrow midday if I get that one.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

@Bapu

So how heavy can you load these bad boys up when you are tracking?
Is it the equivalent of having an SSL or NEVE board and a shirtload of rack gear at your fingertips?

t

I'll be putting them thru the paces, but with a HEXA core processor per unit and my two UAD OCTO Core Satelites I'd say I can load a significant amount into each unit.

These are the Unison preamps and channel strip options:

API Vision Channel Strip Collection
Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Collection
Neve Preamp
API Preamp
SSL 4000 E Channel Strip Collection
Avalon VT-737 Tube Channel Strip
Neve® 1084™ Preamp & EQ
Century Tube Channel Strip
V76 Preamplifier
Helios Type 69 Preamp and EQ Collection
Korg® SDD-3000 Digital Delay
Neve 88RS Channel Strip Collection
Manley VOXBOX Channel Strip
UA 610 Tube Preamp & EQ Collection

All the "amps" are also Unsion capable.

Since I own the whole line of UAD plugins I'm sure I'll find my "go-to" recording chains.

And if that is not enough, you can print all the inserts on a channel to the track in the DAW as you are recording live when using the UAD Console.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 11:59 AM, Bapu said:

I picked up a 2nd Universal Audio Apollo x8p interface. I'll now have 16 channels of Unison capability plus the 2 extra from my Apollo Twin X.

I also have an ebay offer/bid on an 3rd Apollo x8p that I'll know tomorrow midday if I get that one.

SHOW OFF !!!!   LOL    Be gone you mere mortals

image.png.773575f7e4aaf4197efc3a92b939b9a0.png

• Haha 6

On 12/13/2022 at 5:59 PM, Bapu said:

Animal !

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zo said:

@Bapu unison recording

That plus 24 mic inputs instead of 20 (4 on UFX and 8 each on the two OCTAMIC II). And since I got the Apollo Twin X it's actually 26 Unison mic inputs.
Lastly the RME only had 8 line outs (2 for monitor, 6 extra) now I have 24 line ins and outs.

So much more flexibility for my 4 hardware compressors (Serpent 500 series bus, TK Audio 500 series, Warm Audio Bus Comp and Heritage Audio Successor).

I'll start out with doing final mixes with:
HRK tape emus into Serpent - Master Bus 
HRK tape emus into TK Audio - Vocals Bus
Fatso into Successor - Drum Shells  Bus
HRK tape emus into Warm Audio - Bass Bus

I've yet to acquire the Fatso and the HRK emus for the bass (these will be bought in 2023).

My old band (from High School Days) is getting together here in February. I need 16 mics for drums, 2 for bass amp (10" and 15"), 2 for Guitars (amp and DI) and 2 for vocals. If we have a third guitarist I will need 2 for him as well (amp and DI).

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bapu said:

That plus 24 mic inputs instead of 20 (4 on UFX and 8 each on the two OCTAMIC II). And since I got the Apollo Twin X it's actually 26 Unison mic inputs.
Lastly the RME only had 8 line outs (2 for monitor, 6 extra) now I have 24 line ins and outs.

So much more flexibility for my 4 hardware compressors (Serpent 500 series bus, TK Audio 500 series, Warm Audio Bus Comp and Heritage Audio Successor).

I'll start out with doing final mixes with:
HRK tape emus into Serpent - Master Bus 
HRK tape emus into TK Audio - Vocals Bus
Fatso into Successor - Drum Shells  Bus
HRK tape emus into Warm Audio - Bass Bus

I've yet to acquire the Fatso and the HRK emus for the bass (these will be bought in 2023).

My old band (from High School Days) is getting together here in February. I need 16 mics for drums, 2 for bass amp (10" and 15"), 2 for Guitars (amp and DI) and 2 for vocals. If we have a third guitarist I will need 2 for him as well (amp and DI).

True , i do like the overwall universe , the mixer in RME is like windows 98 versus UAD lol im might consider one but problem is actual desktop witch is more and more pushing to upgrade (need those usb c witch will open apollo world for me) .... your HW choice by the way is exellent , TK audio are higly underated imho , as for warm and heritage , you tell me what you think versus UAD 's for exemple .

Some fun on the menu for you !! if ya  need help for mixing and editing (vocals ect ...holla at ya boy Zo ;)) 

Zo, for me thr Unison technology has really worked well. I have only used it for vocals and guitar, but it is like night and day compared to what I was recording with my RME Fireface 400.

That said, I wished I never would have sold my RME Fireface 400. That thing was rock solid.

I am really surprised that more people aren't jumping on the Unison technology of the Apollo. For mic pre-amps,  channel strips, and guitar amps use it's a dream come true for home studio users.

23 minutes ago, Grem said:

Zo, for me thr Unison technology has really worked well. I have only used it for vocals and guitar, but it is like night and day compared to what I was recording with my RME Fireface 400.

That said, I wished I never would have sold my RME Fireface 400. That thing was rock solid.

I am really surprised that more people aren't jumping on the Unison technology of the Apollo. For mic pre-amps,  channel strips, and guitar amps use it's a dream come true for home studio users.

Do you compare appolo unison to rme fx ? Or dry witch isn t fair ...

yep drivers are rock solid , and the sound , sync, ect is rock solid. With rme ....also notice as an exemple that my voice in videos is useing their  fx section : eq , comp , expander gate ...even a touch of reverb if i recall well ...

Having an isa one (neve certified design) with the old transformer ... i dont know ifi would skip this for a software pre to be honest ( oh yeah my voice goes there before via a rode k2) ... but i the case of bapu multi recording scenario , it s indeed the best solution hands down ...

Are those silent (no vents ? ) becuase they tend to heat quiet much at school (desktop verisons) for students and teacher ...