Softube - Fix for less

Sergio

They are IMO, simply the best sounding there is, especially so the Flanger, but be aware that it can't be used live/in real time, the latency is to much. It's not a bug as such, I read the story with the man behind it, and he said he was aware, but was unwilling to change it as he didn't want to reduce the quality of the sound. So  .  .  .

What I do, is use another flanger during tracking, say the eventide Instant Flanger MK II, or any really, same settings etc just to get the feel, and then when the track is done replace it with the Softube Fix Flanger.  *** NOT saying there is anything wrong with the Eventide, there isn't, it's excellent, but  .  .  . ***

Just my opinion, and method.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, heath row said:

They are IMO, simply the best sounding there is, especially so the Flanger, but be aware that it can't be used live/in real time, the latency is to much.

Hm.  Good to know.

I’m a hobbyist and been using plugins for live playing/practicing at home (lately using Gig Performer as the host).  Anything with significant latency won’t get used.

I’ve got AmpliTube, Amp Room, PA, NI GR, AA, Audified, Audiority, and Blue Cat guitar related plugins.  For live playing, what would you recommend?  Eventide was mentioned.  Is that noticeably better than what I have?

I'd go Eventide or PA's ADA Flanger or Kuassa next. Kuassa will be cheaper by a long shot, and perhaps another sale around BF, although they just finished a half price sale not long ago so maybe not, but it's only $25. Kuassa make good stuff, better than the price may reflect. The eventide is $125, and the PA ADA is $99 but can get it much cheaper on a sale, either $19.99 or $29.99 can't recall, and if you have a voucher even lower.

Eventide Instant Flanger MK II

PA ADA Flanger

Kuassa Efektor Flanger

Edited by heath row
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, heath row said:

I'd go Eventide or PA's ADA Flanger or Kuassa next. Kuassa will be cheaper by a long shot, and perhaps another sale around BF, although they just finished a half price sale not long ago so maybe not, but it's only $25. Kuassa make good stuff, better than the price may reflect. The eventide is $125, and the PA ADA is $99 but can get it much cheaper on a sale, either $19.99 or $29.99 can't recall, and if you have a voucher even lower.

Eventide Instant Flanger MK II

PA ADA Flanger

Kuassa Efektor Flanger

Thanks for the recommendations.

When it comes to plugins, I'm pretty patient to wait for sales.

I had picked up ADA Flanger for $15 net before (I think).  I'll have to put some time into exploring it.

According to Music Software Deals, the sale price for Instant Flanger and Phaser Mk II is $39 each.  They're on my radar now (looks like next summer sale).

I've been intrigued by Kuassa, but didn't want to put money into yet another guitar ecosystem (I guess my go to have been Nembrini).  I did like Amplifikation 360 a lot better than Nembrini Live Rig when I demo'd it.  I'll have to demo the Kuassa flanger.

Once again, I appreciate your input.

I ended up just getting the Phaser for $9 given everyone's effusive praise.  Brought it up in Amp Room and didn't have any issues with latency.  So I grabbed the Flanger and Doubler as well.  Now, I've got more modulation option in Amp Room (before was just tremolo and vibrato).

Thanks, all.

• Like 1

Doing more testing in Gig Performer.  I'm running my audio interface at 44.1 kHz, 64 samples.  The standalone Fix Flanger plugin reports 2650 samples of latency (60.1 ms).  But if I run it from within Amp Room (as the only plugin active), it reports 132 samples (3.0 ms), so a lot but not as noticeable.  Standalone Fix Doubler and Fix Phaser both report 4 samples of latency.

I compared with eight other flangers (Blue Cat, kHs, Melda, Nembrini, ADA, Audiority, AmpliTube, NI) and the most latency reported aside from Fix Flanger was 16 samples.

So, Fix Flanger is usable live but only from within Amp Room.  It does sound great, though.

Edited by ALC
Clarified: 16 samples
  • Like 2