Tracktion F’em $24 at JRR plus other 24 year discounts

kevin H

56 minutes ago, daveiv said:

Today I'm messing around with a 48-oscillator galore of sound synthesis, and an 11-operator FM workstation.

I'm waffling on the 11-operator F'em synth, even at $24. It's from the same demented mind that designed Biotek, Wolfram Franke.

But somehow I think FOMO may get the best of me, even though I had tried the F'em demo when it was first released and decided that one extremely complex synth was already enough (Biotek).

Might as well make it two! 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveiv said:

Can't find anything like that in the manual. @abacab should know if such thing exists.

IMHO patch randomization makes more sense in subtractive synthesis than FM.

Don't have F'em yet, so cannot speak to any randomize features in that one. But just guessing based on the Biotek 2 synth by the same dev, I doubt it.

There's just too many possible combinations of variables in a synth other than a pure subtractive synth to achieve anything useful at random. I suppose if you could freeze most of the preset and just randomize one section at a time that might be workable, but that's probably a huge ask to implement.

5 hours ago, abacab said:

Uh-oh. Now I have another dilemma... 🙄

Just realized that the Biotek 2 expansions that normally sell for $50 can be had at JRR for $25.20 with code "GROUP".

Do you do soundtrack stuff with BioTek? It's like it's made for modern film scoring needs

50 minutes ago, daveiv said:

Do you do soundtrack stuff with BioTek? It's like it's made for modern film scoring needs

Tracktion marketed BioTek as an "Organic" synth when it was first released. Apparently many folks assumed it was only good for cinematic soundtrack stuff. But most of the new sound banks are intended for edgier, modern popular music such as EDM, Raw Dubstep, Rap Trap, & Tropical House.

A synth isn't "made" for any specific genre. A synth is a synth. Presets can be designed and marketed to a target market, so you may see certain synths favored by certain crowds that favor presets made for their style of music. Did you check out the Arachnid bank for Biotek? It's expressly aimed at EDM.

My preference for synths is to get under the hood, using the presets as a starting point for understanding how sounds are made, and then tweaking them to taste. I guess that I lean toward ambient and chill music for my personal creative ambitions, although I like most styles of music, and have been to many hard rock concerts (but no dance music festivals)! :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 8:49 AM, abacab said:

Biotek 2 Arachnid expansion $30 now at JRR

https://www.jrrshop.com/tracktion-arachnid-edm-expansion-pack-for-biotek

Are the "vocal" snippits that appear here & there - part of the library?
The way they list the patches playing makes it a bit hard at times to tell which patch is being referred to.

Edited by TheSteven

4 hours ago, daveiv said:

Is there anything meaningful FM8 can't do that F.'em can?

FM8 can't scale the UI, but F'em can. F'em also has 2 sample operators and a noise operator, so a bit more capability for sound design. So it looks like F'em can do anything that FM8 could and more...

4 minutes ago, abacab said:

FM8 can't scale the UI, but F'em can. F'em also has 2 sample operators and a noise operator, so a bit more capability for sound design. So it looks like F'em can do anything that FM8 could and more...

FM8 can be an effect, and treat the incoming audio as an operator.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Are the "vocal" snippits that appear here & there - part of the library?
The way they list the patches playing makes it a bit hard at times to tell which patch is being referred to.

I don't have the Arachnid library, but just guessing here...

Since Biotek can load samples (even user imported) into any oscillator (4 osc per layer, 12 layers) it's quite possible the vocal snippets are part of the library used in the demo presets.

Tracktion apparently doesn't make any claims either way regarding the demo. The synth responds to all MIDI channels (omni), so there is no way to set individual synth layers to receive on a specific MIDI channel. The demo was probably done with layered multiple instances of the synth with different presets used for each instance.