Your Secret is Safe with Me

Keith Wilby

very nice song, vox, arrangement, production, mix, mastering....I would consider adding backing vox to give the piece more depth....i assume you did everything (wrote, played, engineered, mixed, mastered....that's how i do my stuff), if so, you did a great job 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Another great song Keith, and you've got some great piano chops. I do like how the piano part follows the main melody during the verse, reinforcing the musical phrases. Nice use of the organ towards the end too to add some sonic variety.

• Thanks 1

Certainly a cool, thoughtful song. I happened to have the volume up a bit on the monitors when I listened, and I felt that the mix here might work well when listened to quieter, but I'd agree with the vocal getting buried a bit by the bass guitar's upper frequencies and/or the heavier bass in the piano part.  I could be all wet, it's a very subjective thing, you might try notching a bit on those and cranking your volume on the whole thing for a check. You could automate this carve-out for only when the vocals are doing their thing.

Otherwise, its a nice uncluttered mix that lets the song and the excellent vocal come through. I envy your vocal range! Nice and strong up there!!!

Another winner in my book.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

Very nice Keith - yes vox can come up a tad for me - your higher register stuff is great (as a baritone with limited range, I'm really quite jealous) - loved the organ chops and I particularly liked the rallentando at the end (or is it a ritardando - I'm never quite sure what the difference is) 😉

Anyway - great job - BGVs might be an interesting addition.

Andy

It's a great bit of work Kieth .. if I was in the chair I would start by doubling the vox with one track bounced 30 % left and 30% right, you could then sum it and use a widening tool to bring up the vocal with a little compression. From that I would keep the original vox track at center field on a different track and bring it up so as to enhance the overall fell of the vox.

Your voice is great and on tune just a little to weak in your mix (IMO) so the above might help anyway great sound great work .. most of all ..all you! and that I love

Steve 

19 hours ago, STEVE POOLE said:

doubling the vox with one track bounced 30 % left and 30% right, you could then sum it and use a widening tool to bring up the vocal with a little compression. From that I would keep the original vox track at center field on a different track and bring it up so as to enhance the overall fell of the vox.

Thanks Steve. I've never heard of that technique before so I'll give it a go. Always willing to learn new stuff 👍

6 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

Thanks Steve. I've never heard of that technique before so I'll give it a go. Always willing to learn new stuff 👍

Be careful of what is known as phasing ...where two identical tracks cancel each other out, you can use reverse phase on cake ...  that's why keeping the centre field vox is important ... hope it works for you as it has been successful with me on my stuff ...........