I may have to go out and buy a snow shovel if things keep it up

kennywtelejazz

5 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

Doesn't the word 'global' mean 'everyone' or are we going to go down the 'well you are effected but you just don't know it' invisible boogie man path?

Just the Northern Hemisphere, afaik. The wacky jet stream itself is therefore not a "global" phenomenon. It is, however, caused by warming oceans, which is global.

There will be areas that are less affected than others, of course. But everyone will be impacted eventually, as more of the planet becomes unsuitable for agriculture or , in some cases, human habitation. The good news is that you and I will probably be dead before then. With any luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

western europe checking in: snow on april 1st (yeahright, spoilt my wife's annual fools joke "oh look it's snowing"), back up to seasonal norm the next day (16/17C), then hailstones last saturday, now up to 22C today just 2 days later, up and down like a *****'s drawers

and windy, generally windier all the time last few years

Edited by pwalpwal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Just the Northern Hemisphere, afaik.

Thanks. 

I don't know what the answer is. I think people have believed the sky was falling since the beginning. I also believe that if the people who we have placed in decision making positions truly believed this is happening, they would be focusing on fixing the largest contributors to the problem, not financially punish the ones who are forced/locked in to using what those largest contributors provide.

The longer I live and the more I see from these people in decision making positions, the more I realize that pretty much the opposite of what they say is what is really going on.

That said, I have seen several cycles in my 50 years from what they said was normal at the time to abnormal back to normal and so on. There's also proof it has been constantly changing since before people were established as we are on the planet. I do not think we're the full cause or will be the demise. I've been hearing we have 5 years left since I was a kid ...

18 minutes ago, Wibbles said:

The usual suspects are all here ... Let's play crank bingo! 

• Anti-vaxxers - check
  • Covid deniers - check
  • Climate-change deniers - check
  • Gold-standard advocates - check
  • Conspiracy theorists - check

Well, considering all of those are actual facts, so be it! 😜

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

Personally speaking, I'm not anti anyone or anything. I just want the truth and everyone to pick up a little garbage on their way out ...

Some folks need to be collecting their trash on the way in too 🤣

• Haha 1

It seems the snow has cleared up around here in my part of town . Already the weather folks are talking about another round of snow possibly starting tonight.

I did learn something new today when I heard a weather man say a phrase that included " Spring Winter Weather " as a description in his forecast . 

Must be a new thing huh ?

A few fellas here  mentioned they were from states that got a lot of snow . New York State where I'm from held its own in that regard .

We got a decent amount of snow and although the volume trialed by comparison to a couple of states mentioned , it wasn't by  as much as one would think .

I remember the first time I considered taking an Anger Management Class .I was out in the cold wet snow shoveling my car for about 3 and a half hours  .

I was feeling strong too man , I had even broken a nice hot sweat and I figured I only had about 20 mins of work left to shovel and my car would be fee and out of the snow .

Out of nowhere came a large N.Y.C. Snowplow heading right at me . I started waving my arms frantically thinking he would go around me . No such luck , he held the line and I wound up getting out of his way . Literally in the span of seconds the snowplow packed enough snow back into my car to the point where it even went above my cars roof .  🥶

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

It seems the snow has cleared up around here in my part of town . Already the weather folks are talking about another round of snow possibly starting tonight.

I did learn something new today when I heard a weather man say a phrase that included " Spring Winter Weather " as a description in his forecast . 

Must be a new thing huh ?

A few fellas here  mentioned they were from states that got a lot of snow . New York State where I'm from held its own in that regard .

We got a decent amount of snow and although the volume trialed by comparison to a couple of states mentioned , it wasn't by  as much as one would think .

I remember the first time I considered taking an Anger Management Class .I was out in the cold wet snow shoveling my car for about 3 and a half hours  .

I was feeling strong too man , I had even broken a nice hot sweat and I figured I only had about 20 mins of work left to shovel and my car would be fee and out of the snow .

Out of nowhere came a large N.Y.C. Snowplow heading right at me . I started waving my arms frantically thinking he would go around me . No such luck , he held the line and I wound up getting out of his way . Literally in the span of seconds the snowplow packed enough snow back into my car to the point where it even went above my cars roof .  🥶

Kenny

I had that happen to me too. There's a plow driver around here that I could see ending up missing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I'm in a circle and the snow plow literally comes through and  the snow slides off the plow right in front of our driveway.  It couldn't be timed any better 😮

Most snow shoveling heart attacks occur at the end of a driveway.  

Don't be a statistic, send your wife out.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RobertWS said:

Most snow shoveling heart attacks occur at the end of a driveway.  

Don't be a statistic, send your wife out.

I want to move to someplace where they don't get snow .

Then I can lay up in the hammock , eat a few bon bons and watch the wife mow the lawn .

Kenny

On 4/12/2022 at 9:23 AM, bitflipper said:

The point of Kenny's post is that it doesn't snow much in his area, even during the coldest months of winter, so snow in April is indeed a very rare occurrence. I'm a few hours north of there, and even though we're farther north than notoriously snowy places such as Chicago and Buffalo, the jet stream usually protects us.

Well put Dave ! I couldn't have said it better .

That's what's spooky about the changes going on now - the jet stream has become unstable. That's why you can have devastating winter weather in normally-moderate Texas, oranges freezing on the trees in Florida, and snow in April in the Pacific Northwest. Those things happen when the jet stream deviates from its normal patterns. So yes, while it may be counter-intuitive to blame unseasonably cold weather on global warming, that is indeed the case.

Yes , these types of weather occurrences seem to bring up more questions than answers ...

I struggle every year deciding whether or not to buy a snow shovel. My personal theory is that as soon as I buy a snow shovel, it will never snow here again. Just like the time I bought an air conditioner in July 1979 during a hot streak and never used it again. Left it behind when I moved. Then July 2021 happened. In an area where 90 degrees F is considered a crazy hot day, it hit 115 here. Time to buy another A/C, I think, for the good of all.

😅

OK you heard it here first . Lets all chip in and buy Dave a shovel so it won't snow here any more ...

Yes , that 115 day we had last year was totally freaky ....I stayed indoors w the pooch , we toughed it out as best we could

all the best,

Kenny