I may have to go out and buy a snow shovel if things keep it up

kennywtelejazz

Heh, I've just been texting pics and video to friends too!  We've got about 3" and it's still dumping down.  I had a restroom trip at 3am and, when I looked out the window, it's was only wet outside.  When I got up at 4:30am, there was about 1/4" and my roommate was just leaving.  In a Prius.  Without chains (which I see are still hanging in the garage)!  He hates Mondays so I can only imagine the stream of expletives that he saying right now! 😆

• Like 1

Milo loves the snow , I'm probably gonna end up getting him out there for a while things are still fresh and playing with him .... When I walked Milo at 5 30  AM we were the first to make footprints in the snow . An hour later they were totally covered over as if we never set foot out there .

It seems to be coming down harder now that it did before .Thankfully the errands I was so posed to  do today can be put off a day or two until the road and things clear up.

Kenny

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Beautiful. Where is that?

Drum roll for Craig

12 hours ago, craigb said:

Vancouver, Washington.

Ah Yes ! Big Girl Central ! xD

12 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

I want to make sure I don't go there.

If you happen to see the sign for my Vancouver on I 5 , you just stay on I 5 North and keep going until you hit The Vancouver everybody want's to go to.

14 hours ago, craigb said:

In a Prius.  Without chains 😆

What ! Your Recording all the music  🎶 to a  ***** Film    🎥  with Big Red 👩‍🦰 and Sexy Sadie 🙆‍♀️ In a Prius  🆘  Without Chains :oor a Cowbell xD ?

Security!  apprehend that man and revoke his man card for Life 🤪

9 hours ago, paulo said:

Time for a new friend......

Yeah it's about that time for most of us  around here because I do get the distinct feeling we all  may need a new friend :P

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

In the past we have head a holdout winters where it snowed when people were already buying flowers.  Hasn't happened here this year. Go out and keep enjoying that snow man, sound like you're having fun and we know it won't last. You'll probably get up to 120F there again this year and you might be wishing for snow then.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobertWS said:

Has anyone heard, "Sometimes It Snows in April" by Prince on the radio?

I just fired it up to listen to it . . .  It is from the film "Under a Cherry Moon".   I live in Michigan and lately, It always snows in April. . .

Syphus

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Syphus said:

I just fired it up to listen to it . . .  It is from the film "Under a Cherry Moon".   I live in Michigan and lately, It always snows in April. . .

I've seen it snow well into May in NJ, PA, IA, and MO. It can snow anywhere, where it is normal to get snow, well in to May.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shane_B. said:

I've seen it snow well into May in NJ, PA, IA, and MO. It can snow anywhere, where it is normal to get snow, well in to May.

This is true, BUT IN THE OLD DAYS,  I do not remember it happening so often . . .   I'm  just waiting for that change when it snows all summer and is hotter than Heck in the winter . . .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Syphus said:

This is true, BUT IN THE OLD DAYS,  I do not remember it happening so often . . .   I'm  just waiting for that change when it snows all summer and is hotter than Heck in the winter . . .

Yeah. Times/weather changes. I remember when I was a kid the snow was all the way up to my chest. But I was just 5 years old and a lot shorter then. 😉

When I first moved to IA 24 years ago it snowed a lot more then. Then it warmed up. The guys at work were playing golf on Thanksgiving which was unheard of in IA. Now they're bitching because the winters are like 'the old days'. I have pictures somewhere of the road I lived on way out in the country. When I saw way out ... I had 4 acres in the middle of a 4400 acre farm. The snow drifts were up to the bottom of the road signs. Then nothing for years. Now it's back that way again.

When it comes to weather there is no norm. All kinds of things effect it 99.5% of which we have 0.5% control over.

The point of Kenny's post is that it doesn't snow much in his area, even during the coldest months of winter, so snow in April is indeed a very rare occurrence. I'm a few hours north of there, and even though we're farther north than notoriously snowy places such as Chicago and Buffalo, the jet stream usually protects us.

That's what's spooky about the changes going on now - the jet stream has become unstable. That's why you can have devastating winter weather in normally-moderate Texas, oranges freezing on the trees in Florida, and snow in April in the Pacific Northwest. Those things happen when the jet stream deviates from its normal patterns. So yes, while it may be counter-intuitive to blame unseasonably cold weather on global warming, that is indeed the case.

I struggle every year deciding whether or not to buy a snow shovel. My personal theory is that as soon as I buy a snow shovel, it will never snow here again. Just like the time I bought an air conditioner in July 1979 during a hot streak and never used it again. Left it behind when I moved. Then July 2021 happened. In an area where 90 degrees F is considered a crazy hot day, it hit 115 here. Time to buy another A/C, I think, for the good of all.

• Like 1

Yeah, generally, we'll get one day of what I call "postcard snow" around Christmas (...and it's gone!), then a few inches maybe in February.  There was a huge ice storm the first Winter I had moved up here (2003-2004), then one year with about three feet (total) of snow (2008-2009).  Other than that, we're lucky to get a few inches.  Yesterday, the storm total was 0.42" which equates to about 5" of snow (1" of precipitation = about 1' of snow), so it definitely was a bit unusual!  None today, though they're saying we might get some more tomorrow.

2004:

ice20040108-1.jpg

snow20040101-4.jpg

The ice got so deep that it actually filled the street up to the tops of the curbs!  It took a skip-loader to break it up.

Edited by craigb
  • Like 2

@bitflipper or anyone ...

Serious question (IBTL) because I truly don't know the answer to this. My question is ... does the Jet Stream effect everyone? I thought it did but I never actually looked in to it.

I ask because the weather here has been normal for this area (KC area) since I've lived here going on 10 years. Doesn't the word 'global' mean 'everyone' or are we going to go down the 'well you are effected but you just don't know it' invisible boogie man path?

Edited by Shane_B.