PA ANY 2999 Sale

cclarry

From PA you can look into the  elysia alpha compressor, and the elysia mpressor... I believe they both offer Upward leveling.

They are not built for upward compression. But they can be used in a similar way which is also true for a fxchain if you build one in Cakewalk.

W.A. Productions The King 2 is in my wishlist on Plugin Boutique so i'll wait for that to come down in price. I'm in no hurry.

• Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, ZokZTM said:

Thanks Brian, why I asked is that I've demoed Townhouse a while back and found Acustica Audio  Sand4 to be marginally better. I have seldom used G-bus compressor other than on the mix bus, where I have a hardware. ITB for mixing I prefer Iron,  Elysia Alpha comp, Shadow Hills , Chandler Zener etc... The 9000J could be an interesting option especially for the on-the-road where Acustica Sand could easily be to hefty on the processing power.

Guys, any 1st hand experiences with Sand 4 vs PA 9000J?

For what it's worth, I prefer SPL Iron and Elysia Alpha Comp more than any SSL Buss compressor I've used. Once again both of these are different to each other.

Iron I use more for buss duties and glue, Alpha I use more for mastering, as it's so versatile and great sounding. I'll often A-B Iron against some of the various SSLs from a number of Devs on a song and end up using Iron more often.

But sometimes the SSL sound just fits better. That's why it's good having a few different options 🙂 

Personally I prefer both of these to Shadow Hills as well, even though I know the Shadow Hills are lots of people's favourite.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MusicMan said:

For what it's worth, I prefer SPL Iron and Elysia Alpha Comp more than any SSL Buss compressor I've used. Once again both of these are different to each other.

Iron I use more for buss duties and glue, Alpha I use more for mastering, as it's so versatile and great sounding. I'll often A-B Iron against some of the various SSLs from a number of Devs on a song and end up using Iron more often.

But sometimes the SSL sound just fits better. That's why it's good having a few different options 🙂 

Personally I prefer both of these to Shadow Hills as well, even though I know the Shadow Hills are lots of people's favourite.

Agree... exactly the same usage here, Elysia Alpha at mastering Iron at mixing... I also have real Iron and G bus clone (Tk Audio) on my hardware mix inserts. I like the results, but Tk g-bus comp does extremely little compression, sometimes not even visible at all - and at a ration of 1:2... nice additional glue. Iron hardware compresses more, on my hardware insert - about 1db on average.
PA Iron plugin is extremely good tool for mixing. Shadow Hills Mastering Comp I use for it's dual compressor capabilities at mixing stage and for a different flavour.... never in Mastering though 🙂

Just my 2 cents 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

Anyone willing to comment how does the  PA SSL 9000 J compare to channel strips by IKM?

I have both the Black and White IKM strips.  The White obviously being the 9000 "simulation"

I had the White before I purchased the PA 9000J and hoped that it would negate wanting the PA 9000J but when I tested the PA the difference in results I was getting quickly seemed obvious to me.  The IKM has some unique features such as Mid-SIde, but then again the PA has things like the THD and MIX on the comp.

I really like a number of IKM plugins, but the SSL channel strips they have don't seem like they are the best on the market at this point.  Perfectly usable for sure, but I prefer the sound of the PA one in this case.  I do like the fully resiable nature of the IKM where the PA is in limited percentages.  

The PA 9000J makes it on finished tracks, the IKM White sadly I don't think I've really ended up actually using it other than testing.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1