Winding Down

mark skinner

Hello , here's another new one that's turned into an instrumental. I may revisit the vocals later. SI and MT drums , my G&L electric and the first time recording a small section with a Washburn acoustic. Nits , crits , and suggestions are welcomed . Thanks for your time ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 3

@PJH Thanks for the listen and bass observation. I'll see what I can do with it. It's not really cutting thru the mix very well , I think it's more than a volume problem. I just ordered new strings ,  I change them every 10 years. Coming from the King of guitar tones I "really" appreciate it. @Wookiee Thanks for the response , it's always nice to hear your opinion. @KurtS Thanks for confirming a bass issue. The 3 electric guitar tracks were recorded with different pickup selections , I think that helped with the separation between them. I'll probably EQ them further to carve a hole for the bass. @Larry T. Appreciate it , seems like my lead work is mainly "fills" without any actual  "solo".    I'm trying to work on that ..  Thanks  ..mark

Edited by mark skinner

@jack c. Thanks , I wish I could play like Larry Carlton ..  @garybrun Thank You , I'm Never satisfied until You are. I don't think I'm playing any tighter ,  just getting better at editing..  @PJH I revisited my mix and saw that at some point I turned the comp. off on my bass track and failed to turn it back on before exporting. I did a little more EQ work on it also , I think it's better. I'll repost later.    Thank You ..  mark

• Like 1

Hey Mark . . . you are master of that smooth guitar groove. (Hey! I can totally use this for neck exercises after a stressful day, cuz' I'm just luvin' it, makes my head swivel) 

Your comment up top makes me think you want to add vocal to it, make it a song with lyrics . . . well, as you know there would be difficult decisions about which tasty licks to move back in the mix. I think it would work well as a song, or a guitar groove. Of course, I would lean towards making a song from it . . . maybe a repetitive groove melody (with harmonies) could work . . . it seems to suggest that to me.

After the guitar intro . . . at 0.25 I tried singing some random vocals, and I found there is a very obvious vocal groove there, easy to find, very jazzy . . . I made it about "winding down" after a long day . . . this could totally be a chill out after a long work day commute, like it was for me :)

Anyways, you did ask for suggestions . .  it's so musical, it could be sung in a lot of directions, but I heard a jazz vocal, with lots of possibilities.

• Like 2

Great mix. Nice playing.

With basically one drum beat the length is about right. Any longer and it might be time for a change up. A cymbal here and there of a fill would help. If you're like me you aren't a drummer though, so those things are easier said than done sometimes.

• Like 1

@noynekker Thanks for the reply , I'm really glad you enjoyed it. The slightly to the right guitar used in the intro , was what I used to play the vocal line  (that I had been singing .. with some fills) . It would be interesting to hear other peoples choice of a melody.  PM me if you want to give it a go ..  @Tim Smith I appreciate the comments , and no I'm not much of a drummer or bass player. @Douglas Kirby Thanks , yeah it was Barry's comment that inspired me to download it. There's actually not much of it here except for some fills and I piano rolled some cymbal stuff in. I've started a new song and going to try and give the drums a proper workout. There's a Lot of cool stuff in them. @David Sprouse  Thanks , no sub on the kick . Most of it was SI drum loops. I just looked at it closely and there is a lot of sub freq. coming thru on the kick. Do you monitor with subs ? I low passed the entire mix before I could hear it.  Thank You All ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner

Hi Mark. Great song - love the vibe. You've got some really good playing there. Two very minor things: I thought the bass was a tad quiet (as mentioned above); also, it seems like there's a cymbal crash on the first beat of nearly every bar - it might have a bit more emphasis if played a little more sparingly.

• Like 1

I will add my vote to the "nice groove" category (and the well played cat as well).

I'm not sure the bass is too subtle, I don't "love" the bass heavy mixes that seem to define most genres of late.
Vinyl limits the amount of bass in a mix, and to "purists" vinyl is "king".
Go figure....

t

23 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

MT drums sounded excellent in this - I had never even heard of it until Barry mentioned he used it as well

Mark turned me on to MT, a lot to work with, and the price is right! (I did donate...)

• Like 2

Very nice playing Mark and great chops - I'm jealous of anyone who can play anything that passes for lead guitar (I'm clueless at lead, despite playing guitar for decades) and this definitely cuts the mustard to my ears.

Great groove - minor crit: maybe a bit more variation on the drums, but this is a minor nitpick. Overall,really enjoyed it.

Andy

• Like 1

@antler Thanks for the comment and suggestion. I deleted some of the cymbal crashes , but it seemed to leave a hole so I just turned them down giving them a little more "ride" sound. @DeeringAmps @AndyB01 @Paul Bush Thank you for your time and comments. I cleaned up some of the noises in the tracks, fixed some timing issues, adjusted the crash cymbal and EQ'd and brought the bass up a little. The original link now reflects this remix.  I may go back in and add some more bass notes on the 1 beat , I think that's where I'm not satisfied with it. I'm going to get away from the song for a while.   Thank You to everyone for helping me with this instrumental.            mark

• Like 1