[SOLVED] new update is terrible

kasey haze

My cakewalk is starting to be very difficult to use. There is a massive delay whether I zoom in or out using alt + mouse scroll.  Usually 6 to 10 seconds and sometimes up to 15 seconds. Seems as though the further I zoom out the longer the delay. Also delays for 5s - 10s when I scroll using ctrl and mouse direction. I haven't changed any settings and the only thing I've literally installed in 10 months are the updates. Buffer size 23.2msec/1024 samples

I also have a latency issue I never had before. I've tried .20sec /8samples and still lags behind. 

I find each new update is making my cakewalk more unstable than the previous update. Each update I keep saying I won't install new updates but I do in the hope of more stability. 

Thank you all for replying.  My specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz   2.81 GHz processor, 64.0 GB ram, windows 10 pro, I have a basic sound card nothing special.

This happens with every project I have now and at times I can't even open up a project. 

Everything works just fine when I'm zoomed in at 1/64, 1/32, 1/16 but starts lagging at 1/8 (snap notes) 

I've deleted the picture cache folder which does not help.  

I haven't tried trouble shooting by removing plugins but I will attempt to today. 

I will also look to see if I have the most current updates for my pc eg. sound, graphics etc. 

19 hours ago, kasey haze said:

My cakewalk is starting to be very difficult to use. There is a massive delay whether I zoom in or out using alt + mouse scroll.  Usually 6 to 10 seconds and sometimes up to 15 seconds. Seems as though the further I zoom out the longer the delay. Also delays for 5s - 10s when I scroll using ctrl and mouse direction.

Interesting, I perceived the same behavior with the early access release (2021-09), very very slow zooming with alt + scroll wheel, unusable! Strange that not everybody noticed this! In Sonar Platinum there is no such issue!

So after much digging it turns out that cakewalk was creating unnecessary markers everywhere. Looks like markers on top of markers on top of markers with multiple markers on the same time. 010th of a second at times (if I'm reading the numbers correctly  I'd say they were in the 10's of thousands judging by the scroll. After deleting all the markers the program worked as before. Below us a screen shot of the markers of one song. First SS is start second SS is the end. 

damn.jpg

This makes very little sense to me. I know I've been using the same template for the songs. I just deleted all the tracks, adjust temp if needed and start recording again. I suppose it's possible that the markers weren't deleted and more were added over time. 

Edited by kasey haze

So I assume that when you deleted those bogus markers the video stutter went away?

Never seen anything like this, and don't have a good explanation, sorry. Although I'm pretty sure the final explanation won't be "the new update is terrible". :)

It's unlikely you accidentally hit "M" 10,000 times. More likely, the problem lies with the keyboard itself. Is it a wireless model and/or a programmable one? Do you use software that lets you define keyboard macros?

Have a peek under the "M" keycap and check for lint, crumbs or dead insects that might cause it to stick. True story: I had a keyboard whose spacebar would sometimes stick - removed the keycap and found a sticky orange residue in there. It was from my grandson's juicebox. He thought he'd cleaned up the evidence, but because he'd not yet entered grade school it had not yet been explained to him how liquids work.

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2021 at 2:38 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

Last time something like this happened, it turned out to be a sticky "M" key

On 8/27/2021 at 3:52 PM, chimkin2 said:

Yes I was about to say the same thing ☺️....try unplugging the KB

Maybe the M key got stuck after I smashed the keyboard a few hundred times out of frustration 😡

23 hours ago, bitflipper said:

So I assume that when you deleted those bogus markers the video stutter went away?

Never seen anything like this, and don't have a good explanation, sorry. Although I'm pretty sure the final explanation won't be "the new update is terrible". :)

It's unlikely you accidentally hit "M" 10,000 times. More likely, the problem lies with the keyboard itself. Is it a wireless model and/or a programmable one? Do you use software that lets you define keyboard macros?

Have a peek under the "M" keycap and check for lint, crumbs or dead insects that might cause it to stick. True story: I had a keyboard whose spacebar would sometimes stick - removed the keycap and found a sticky orange residue in there. It was from my grandson's juicebox. He thought he'd cleaned up the evidence, but because he'd not yet entered grade school it had not yet been explained to him how liquids work.

You are correct, the stutter went away. My KB is not wireless and I don't eat or drink anything but water in my studio. I have since vacuumed the KB anyways.  

22 hours ago, bdickens said:

Oh, how quick some people are to automatically blame the software before they do any of the most basic troubleshooting.

Oh, how quick some people are to make stupid comments before even asking what type of trouble shooting someone has done.  Because you know, looking to see if there are thousands of markers is "the most basic troubleshooting" Well played. 

2 hours ago, kasey haze said:
On 8/27/2021 at 7:49 PM, bdickens said:

Oh, how quick some people are to make stupid comments before even asking what type of trouble shooting someone has done.  Because you know, looking to see if there are thousands of markers is "the most basic troubleshooting" Well played. 

Oh, well since you didn't bother to mention any the myriad troubleshooting steps you took I can only assume You didn't take any.

Because that's how most people who  join the forum just prior to complaining about how "Cakewalk don't work" roll.

• Like 1