What People Want BASSISTS To Play

kennywtelejazz

50 minutes ago, Shane_B. said:

Bass players are like children. They should be seen but not heard . . .

😁

I give him kudos for wearing headphones and not being a nightmare of a neighbor.

Most millennials don't have that level of awareness and maturity.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

As a bass 'doubler' I believe a bassist should always play something that works with the drummer, supports the song, adds tasty licks when appropriate and never competes with whoever is singing or playing the melody.

Although sax is my primary instrument, I played bass full-time during the psychedelic era when nobody wanted to hire a sax player.

Before and after that, I really enjoy doubling on bass.

IMO the guy in the video is overplaying and just showing off, but I must add, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Notes

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 7:13 AM, RobertWS said:

I give him kudos for wearing headphones and not being a nightmare of a neighbor.

Most millennials don't have that level of awareness and maturity.

+1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:28 PM, Notes_Norton said:

As a bass 'doubler' I believe a bassist should always play something that works with the drummer, supports the song, adds tasty licks when appropriate and never competes with whoever is singing or playing the melody.

Although sax is my primary instrument, I played bass full-time during the psychedelic era when nobody wanted to hire a sax player.

Before and after that, I really enjoy doubling on bass.

IMO the guy in the video is overplaying and just showing off, but I must add, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Notes

I have paid some dues playing Bass . I was cool with the playing part , I just didn't like having to lug around a refrigerator sized amp up and down 4 flights of stairs .

Yes he does show off a bit ...I do like his sense of humor and love the way he plays ..

On 8/24/2021 at 2:08 PM, Bapu said:

I invented the Am bass note. It takes care of everything. No need for slappin, or trying to be a lead guitarist.

🤣

On 8/24/2021 at 4:03 PM, craigb said:

There were a LOT of highly listenable moments in that!  Very creative presentation too but, what kills me, is just how damn easy he makes it look!

That  pretty much sums up how I feel . thanks for sharing

On 8/24/2021 at 6:43 PM, dubdisciple said:

so accurate

Yeah +1000

On 8/24/2021 at 4:03 PM, craigb said:

just how damn easy he makes it look!

On 8/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, Bapu said:

When the lovely lady sees me programming she says

Yup ! That was fast That was easy ....😁

Kenny

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

in reply to the op i (didn't watch the vid)

Nice of you to show up fully prepared 😄

9 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

i'd say something that you can dance and/or bug out to

There you go, I guess you didn't have to go over the material after all ... I like your answer it earns you an A

Kenny