Jump to content
Terry Williams

Somebody must have been able to download - look at all these posts!

Recommended Posts

Obviously some people have been able to download Cakewalk by Bandlab judging by the activity in this forum, but I'm not one of them!

As an abandoned Sonar Platinum owner, I thought it was great that there was a way forward, but I have not had any luck getting a download to happen.

When I download the Bandlab Assistant, All I get is a blank white window that just sits there staring at me and smirking.

I contacted Bandlab support, and they asked me to "repair C++ 2015/2017 which I dutifully did - they also asked that I run Bandlab Assistant as an Administrator - same result as before.

I have repeatedly tried to reply to the support email to see what is next, but they automatically reject any replies as spam so I am unable to reply with my results.

I'm going to just try to keep opening up new support tickets as a proxy for replying to their emails, in the hopes that a blind squirrel really can find an acorn once in a while, but in the meantime, maybe someone here has had a similar problem and can give me a hand figuring it out.

I am on a Windows 10 machine with all latest updates.

Please help me out if you have a fix for this issue - I would appreciate it!

Terry

BandlabFail.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry,

Use the chat link on this page to obtain a return email address.  Include the support ticket number listed in Support's reply email to you as the ticket number is unique to your original issue.  https://help.bandlab.com/hc/en-us/requests/new 

I had an issue updating and was able to proceed by:

01) Uninstall BandLab Assistant.

02) Delete whatever BandLab Assistant file you have.

03) Clear your browser cache and cookies.

04) Open a different browser than you used first time.

05) Use this link to receive your download:  https://www.bandlab.com/#download

06) Note: It does take a loooong time for the program to install and open.  I cancelled the install two or three times before I finally bit the bullet and just let it run.

07) Click on the cog wheel in the top, left corner of the BandLab Assistant header to open the Settings window.

08) Enter your preferred start-up setting, account information and note the folder locations.

09) Click on the "<" arrow in the header to exit the settings window.

10) Click on the Apps secondary header to switch from the Library page to the Apps page.

11) Click on the Cakewalk by BandLab icon. 

12) Click on the Open button.  The install file will download and install as a background task.  Again, it will be a loooong wait (about thirty minutes for me).  Do NOT surf the net or perform any other tasks while the file is downloading or installing at the risk of corrupting things and wasting your time.

13) The program opens to the start screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, no luck... still have the empty, white Bandlab Assistant window.

It was worth a try, guess I'll let the Bandlab support team shine like they never have before to provide the solution.

Thanks again,

Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you got any custom firewall software running? 

It sounds like something is blocking internet access to the BandLab Assistant.

Also, have you tried running the BandLab Assistant as administrator?

Edited by msmcleod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Terry Williams said:

Obviously some people have been able to download Cakewalk by Bandlab judging by the activity in this forum, but I'm not one of them!

As an abandoned Sonar Platinum owner, I thought it was great that there was a way forward, but I have not had any luck getting a download to happen.

When I download the Bandlab Assistant, All I get is a blank white window that just sits there staring at me and smirking.

I contacted Bandlab support, and they asked me to "repair C++ 2015/2017 which I dutifully did - they also asked that I run Bandlab Assistant as an Administrator - same result as before.

I have repeatedly tried to reply to the support email to see what is next, but they automatically reject any replies as spam so I am unable to reply with my results.

I'm going to just try to keep opening up new support tickets as a proxy for replying to their emails, in the hopes that a blind squirrel really can find an acorn once in a while, but in the meantime, maybe someone here has had a similar problem and can give me a hand figuring it out.

I am on a Windows 10 machine with all latest updates.

Please help me out if you have a fix for this issue - I would appreciate it!

Terry

BandlabFail.jpg

Hi Terry. I can’t help you sad to say, but if you need to (or want to work) in the interim that this is sorted out, you could download Command Center and use Sonar Platinum for now.  Or maybe you already have it. 

All the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Have you got any custom firewall software running? 

It sounds like something is blocking internet access to the BandLab Assistant.

Also, have you tried running the BandLab Assistant as administrator?

I think Mark may be on to something here. I just updated to the latest BandLab Assistant yesterday without issue.

One other thing to check could be the DNS server that your ISP is routing to. You might try temporarily switching to a free alternate DNS server, like Google DNS or OpenDNS. Your ISP automatically assigns DNS servers when your smartphone or router connects to the internet but you don't have to use those.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

An easy way to test for a DNS server issue is by typing a website's IP address into the browser. If you can reach the website with the IP address, but not the name, then the DNS server is likely having issues.

DNS servers are like the telephone books of the internet, providing the necessary translation between the domain name and the actual IP address that you need to connect to. If the DNS server that you are using is having issues, it could prevent you from connecting to a specific web site or service, without being completely down.

Edited by abacab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, abacab said:

I think Mark may be on to something here. I just updated to the latest BandLab Assistant yesterday without issue.

One other thing to check could be the DNS server that your ISP is routing to. You might try temporarily switching to a free alternate DNS server, like Google DNS or OpenDNS. Your ISP automatically assigns DNS servers when your smartphone or router connects to the internet but you don't have to use those.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

 

 

DNS servers are like the telephone books of the internet, providing the necessary translation between the domain name and the actual IP address that you need to connect to. If the DNS server that you are using is having issues, it could prevent you from connecting to a specific web site or service, without being completely down.

Another thing to try is flushing your DNS cache. Run the following from a command line:

ipconfig /flushdns

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Another thing to try is flushing your DNS cache. Run the following from a command line:

ipconfig /flushdns

 

That happens automatically when you reboot Windows, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, abacab said:

That happens automatically when you reboot Windows, correct?

The DNS cache doesn't ever flush, unless you explicitly tell it to or you make a DNS/networking related configuration change.

DNS records have a Time To Live (TTL) value associated with them which tells a DNS cache how long the particular record is good for. Records in the cache are kept for their TTL, then re-queried.

So a reboot isn't enough.

Normally this isn't needed, if a website's IP address is changed after the TTL value. But if the IP address is changed before the TTL expires, that's when you need to flush it.

If you suspect it's out of date, you need to manually flush it.

 

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downloading it doesn't mean you're out of the woods.

Mine is crashing consistently upon attempting to open a project after working fine for a while and so far everyone seems to be mystified as to why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonathan boose said:

Downloading it doesn't mean you're out of the woods.

Mine is crashing consistently upon attempting to open a project after working fine for a while and so far everyone seems to be mystified as to why.

Things to try:

Hold shift down whilst opening the project to open it in safe mode, to rule out any problem plugins.

If it's more of a general problem, then try deleting AUD.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core. Also try re-installing your audio drivers.

Check that no other processes are trying to access any of Cakewalk's files or your project files. Common culprits are virus checkers (including Windows Defender) and OneSync or any other cloud sync program. Make sure your the following directories are excluded from any of these programs:

  • All the Cakewalk folders, e.g. Cakewalk global audio folder, picture folder and the folders listed in Cakewalk preferences
  • Your VST folders
  • %APPDATA%/Cakewalk
  • Documents\Cakewalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Things to try:

Hold shift down whilst opening the project to open it in safe mode, to rule out any problem plugins.

If it's more of a general problem, then try deleting AUD.INI from %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core. Also try re-installing your audio drivers.

Check that no other processes are trying to access any of Cakewalk's files or your project files. Common culprits are virus checkers (including Windows Defender) and OneSync or any other cloud sync program. Make sure your the following directories are excluded from any of these programs:

  • All the Cakewalk folders, e.g. Cakewalk global audio folder, picture folder and the folders listed in Cakewalk preferences
  • Your VST folders
  • %APPDATA%/Cakewalk
  • Documents\Cakewalk

 

How much of the above still applies if I can open the project in X3 Producer without a problem?

Please respond on the thread. Thanks in advance.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/1587-crash-unhandled-exception/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

How much of the above still applies if I can open the project in X3 Producer without a problem?

Please respond on the thread. Thanks in advance.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/1587-crash-unhandled-exception/

You have a different issue than the OP. Suggest starting your own thread with the proper title if you want it to be seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Terry Williams

With regard to the blank window could you please try this and see if it helps. 

First make sure you shut down BandLab assistant. Either restart your PC or kill any running BandLab assistant tasks.

Next in File Explorer go to this folder by pasting this in the address box  %appdata%\bandlab-assistant\Cache 

In the cache folder select and delete all the files.

Now restart BandLab assistant. it should prompt you to log in again.

Hopefully this may get you past this issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks a little like my first try with the first Cakewalk by Bandlab. When i repeated everything a second time (with a new account) i noticed an email from the Bandlab account that i had to read and start the activation on the account. That got it working.

It probably sent an activation email in the first try but i never saw it.

If people still need to activate the account start a new or find out how to send a second activation email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate the help!

Unfortunately,  nothing seems to work.

I have totally given up on bandlab support - they have a totally incompetent ISP/email provider that rejects all of my replies to there responses to my support request tickets so I can never follow through with them.

I have created support requests to ask how to avoid the "Delivery status notification (Failure)" but they never reply to those.

I even tried logging new support requests with my replies to the previous ones that get the Spam rejection email but after one reply from bandlab support, they finally abandoned me - probably too much hassle for them.

I understand that it was a free fix for Sonar's demise and I really shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but when the gift horse is dead... 

Oh well,  I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go with pro-tools like almost everybody else in the world does.  At least there is less chance that they will die and leave everyone orphaned.

You guys are a great bunch of guys and I really do appreciate the advice and suggestions - I wish you all the best of luck!

Terry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terry Williams said:

I have totally given up on bandlab support -

You have Noel's attention in this thread - help with Cakewalk doesn't come much better than that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...