50% Off Hollywood Backup Singers at Best Service

cclarry

29 minutes ago, cclarry said:

That's very well done. And --probably like you, Larry -- I've been a Pink Floyd fan since I was a kid. And yet still, for some reason, this cover version came to mind. Sadly, I think once you hear it, you don't forget it: 

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

That's very well done. And --probably like you, Larry -- I've been a Pink Floyd fan since I was a kid. And yet still, for some reason, this cover version came to mind. Sadly, I think once you hear it, you don't forget it: 

Why did you do that?

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DO THAT?

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Why did you do that?

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DO THAT?

Fair enough. But you have to admit, the guy who heard Ono's performance and thought of this and then put this together is kind of a genius. Okay, maybe an evil genuis. It does represent the longest time I've ever listened to a Yoko Ono performance. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

I wonder what samples were on the sax and what phone controller he did those great slides and vibrato with????

Anyone know?

The sax looks like SWAM Saxophones by Audio Modeling (more specifically, it looks like the Alto from the video). It's modelled, rather than sampled. But to get best results you really need some kind of breath controller.

https://audiomodeling.com/swam-engine/solo-woodwinds/swam-saxophones/

Edited by antler
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes I hate the vibrato built into most samples. It’s never the right depth, speed, nor starting/ending at the right time. Yes it looks like an iPhone app??? Do you recognize it?

edit-

I don’t like implemented articulations. What was the problem with playing it in? (There are Exceptions like pizzicato etc)

You will never have enough articulations!

Edited by Max Arwood
Added - After edit

3 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

Yes I hate the vibrato built into most samples. It’s never the right depth, speed, nor starting/ending at the right time. Yes it looks like an iPhone app??? Do you recognize it?

Possibly GeoShred?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finall looked closer and saw the SWAM plain as day on the screen. I couldn’t read the patch *******-gig I think lol. 

Antler you are so right!!!  I took a snapshot of the video and cropped to the controller screen. Pulled up geoshred yep perfect match!! 

Have any of you guys ever played with either of these?

I got to try the app and I have a WX5 I need to dust off. Thanks a bunch!!!

10 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Have any of you guys ever played with either of these?

I've played with SWAM. For best results, you need a breath controller or something similar. At first, it's a bit strange co-ordinating between that and a MIDI controller for the notes. You might want some other devices/controller knobs for the other real-time parameters too.

Sounds great, but I found it a bit tricky to play properly. But then again, I'm not a particularly skilled musician, so YMMV.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I really like the sound of this library -- and also their Voices of Soul title -- but I can't help but see that we're on the cusp of getting this stuff with AI functionality and wishing for more intuitive UI's than we presently have, especially when it comes to approximating words using vocal libraries. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to technology replacing actual musicianship, but I do think it can help do a much better job in areas that are presently pretty clunky / poor, like background vocals. There's a lot of vocal AI tools on the market,  so I can't imagine it impacting plugins like this one is very far off. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I really like the sound of this library -- and also their Voices of Soul title -- but I can't help but see that we're on the cusp of getting this stuff with AI functionality and wishing for more intuitive UI's than we presently have, especially when it comes to approximating words using vocal libraries. 

Personally, I think AI's a funny thing: it seems everybody wants an AI assistant to help them do things, e.g. automatically write and respond to emails; but nobody likes being on the receiving end of an email that wasn't written by a person.

That said (and this is a music-related comment), the one product that's actually made me go 'wow' is Synthesizer V (not currently on sale).

https://dreamtonics.com/synthesizerv/

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, antler said:

Personally, I think AI's a funny thing: it seems everybody wants an AI assistant to help them do things, e.g. automatically write and respond to emails; but nobody likes being on the receiving end of an email that wasn't written by a person.

That said (and this is a music-related comment), the one product that's actually made me go 'wow' is Synthesizer V (not currently on sale).

https://dreamtonics.com/synthesizerv/

That is how a lot of folks, unfortunately are using AI. But AI is incredibly mainstream in the business world at this point, not just by poorly skilled digital marketing people. Right now, it's use in the business world by marketing and communications departments is over 75%.  Better writers and marketers aren't using it to churn out emails -- but solopreneurs and a lot of small business people are and yeah, I'm with you, they're annoying AF. I use AI daily for conducting research (always double checking, of course, but tools like Perplexity do an excellent job overall). 

I'm familiar with Synthesizer V, it's been around quite a while. I've been more interested in and impressed with some of the voice changing tools (maybe because I have a mediocre voice and like the idea of AI giving me a better version of my voice or maybe just replacing me with a better singer altogether). 

I have a unique personal history with AI. I discovered a couple of months ago that ChatGPT (3.5 -- which I really don't use, and especially won't after this!) tells users that I'm dead. On the upside, it gives me a lovely eulogy and states that I'm remembered fondly and my influence is still felt in the business world today (seriously! Haha!). So I've got that going for me, which is nice.*  Although, I'd still prefer to be not dead. 

* Bill Murray, "Caddy Shack" quote.  

Edited by PavlovsCat

10 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I have a unique personal history with AI. I discovered a couple of months ago that ChatGPT (3.5 -- which I really don't use, and especially won't after this!) tells users that I'm dead. On the upside, it gives me a lovely eulogy and states that I'm remembered fondly and my influence is still felt in the business world today (seriously! Haha!).

That's strange. Maybe there are people with similar names that are now deceased? If so, it's not too surprising given how ChatGPT is essentially a statistically weighted (partially) random word generator (an interesting insight of how it works can be found here: https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/).

Maybe I'm a bit too privacy-conscious, but I sometimes feel a little awkward using AI. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking that my input is just being used to train a model that someone else is profiting from when they sell their service.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, antler said:

That's strange. Maybe there are people with similar names that are now deceased? If so, it's not too surprising given how ChatGPT is essentially a statistically weighted (partially) random word generator (an interesting insight of how it works can be found here: https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/).

Maybe I'm a bit too privacy-conscious, but I sometimes feel a little awkward using AI. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking that my input is just being used to train a model that someone else is profiting from when they sell their service.

I have a pretty rare last name. But they had all of the facts correct with my career bio, just the dead part was wrong. So yeah, my guess was that they found someone with a similar last name.  They didn't show anything that would indicate I died in the sources they shared. But what a leap to make, that a person has died when there's not a legit obituary from a trusted source or a death notice in a government source. I mean, we already have to prove that we're not robots on a daily basis and now there's the added burden of having to persuade an AI that you're not dead...Now they've gone too far! 

Edited by PavlovsCat