Can someone define 'Soon' in musical terms?

Thank you for your fine responses, now deviating a little but staying with the 'Soon' theme, what would you say would be the outer limit in time to the usage of the word 'soon'. For example 'Coming Soon' when would it be no longer 'soon', 1 month, 2 months, 8 months, a year, or is it open ended?

A lot of folk seem to be unhappy with Cakewalks use and understanding of the term 'soon', what gives?

I don't believe it would align with Promidi's post above, so what is it to be understood as. and are people right to be unhappy, angry even with the Cakewalk 'Soon'?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heath Row said:

Ah, you need no definition of 'jibba jabba', being a fine exponent of the art of 'jibber jabbery '

The label was a fine piece of work used quite humorously.

perhaps jibberish was derived from such classical statements?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Heath Row said:

Thank you for your fine responses, now deviating a little but staying with the 'Soon' theme, what would you say would be the outer limit in time to the usage of the word 'soon'. For example 'Coming Soon' when would it be no longer 'soon', 1 month, 2 months, 8 months, a year, or is it open ended?

A lot of folk seem to be unhappy with Cakewalks use and understanding of the term 'soon', what gives?

I don't believe it would align with Promidi's post above, so what is it to be understood as. and are people right to be unhappy, angry even with the Cakewalk 'Soon'?

Seems most just do NOT want to say Soon means actually what the dictionary states. soon is NOT later. everyone here knows this. everyone here knows the time length here is NOT soon.

I get why they shy away from it.

But I agree with you, we are way past the actual word "soon". 

I have my protective gear on for all the clever shots coming my way. But that does not change the fact that we all KNOW this is NOT SOON. 

Yes, we can stick up for CWBL, but for me, that does not mean making believe a word has no real meaning in the english language.

Dictionary meaning:

adverb

in or after a short time:

"everyone will soon know the truth" · "he'll be home soon" · "they arrived soon after 7:30"

Similar:

shortly

presently

in a moment

in the twinkling of an eye

early:

"it's a pity you have to leave so soon" · "I wish you'd told me sooner" · "it was too soon to know"

Edited by Pathfinder

"Soon" is a bit like "Tomorrow." Both terms are futuristic; neither really gets here.  "Now" and "Today" are situated in "The Present."

"Forthcoming" is like "Soon" but doesn't imply a generalized time frame.  I suspect even people who like to nit-pick, argue, etc. would probably agree that "Soon" implies a short period of time.

Carry on, but I really think this "debate" should be done in The Coffee House.

5 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I agree about the lounge\Coffee house but I, for one, do NOT agree is it trivial. or doesn't matter and all the other "jokes" when anyone dares to mention this.

For the record, I wasn't joking.  I was being seriously pedantic. That being said, I am a bit tired of these circular 'debates.

Also for the record, I genuinely appreciate Glenn's phraseology. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

For the record, I wasn't joking.  I was being seriously pedantic. That being said, I am a bit tired of these circular 'debates.

Also for the record, I genuinely appreciate Glenn's phraseology. 

I had no doubt you were serious. I appreciated your comments. The jokes and the rest, not so much. Why the smug jokes and sarcasm? Well, we know!

Posted (edited)

honestly? stressing over things out of our control is truly a waste. if someone said "it's coming soon" then in software paralance that's a minimum of 90 days to finish beta, bugs, package, market, commerce setup, banking, support, hypercare, etc. not trivial as "hey, let's drop a piece of software and charge someones credit card". so my understanding from Noel's comment - beta is done. so that was what? 2 weeks ago? so 90 days = ~12 weeks. 

so, soon: 8-10 weeks is my expectation based on 45 years of software and system design and development. if it comes in "sooner", i'll be pleasantly surprised and joyous.

so, meanwhile back to the "soon" snarkiness. 😉 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

honestly? stressing over things out of our control is truly a waste. if someone said "it's coming soon" then in software paralance that's a minimum of 90 days to finish beta, bugs, package, market, commerce setup, banking, support, hypercare, etc. not trivial as "hey, let's drop a piece of software and charge someones credit card". so my understanding from Noel's comment - beta is done. so that was what? 2 weeks ago? so 90 days = ~12 weeks. 

so, soon: 8-10 weeks is my expectation based on 45 years of software and system design and development. if it comes in "sooner", i'll be pleasantly surprised and joyous.

so, meanwhile back to the "soon" snarkiness. 😉 

I am not stressing Glenn- I am sad and disappointed.........Sorry I don't buy the excuses.......No pun intended. 
I'm Done! 

"stressing over things out of our control is truly a waste"

Yes.

Stressing things that cause dissatisfaction of perspective paid customers and questioning strange / delayed release tactics is OK. So the company is aware that some are not happy about this and have a valid reason to be concerned.  I don't view this as "circular" debates, but a reminder. Some companies tend to care what users have to say, some don't. I have no illusions about it.

I think it's simply unfair to keep in the dark those who put trust in the company in the last 5 years. Those who could of learned different DAW in that time, but decided to stick  on the premise that Cakewalk will be around, which seems is not the case going forward. I am not getting younger and it will be more challenging for me to get used to another DAW than 5 years ago. Subscription model is out of the question for me. 

BandLab please define "COMING SOON"

P.S.I have this strange feeling that BL is at crossroad at this time. They can make things amazing (which I am sincerely hope for) or take path of companies like Reason, Waves and a few other murky players. I guess we will find out "SOON" :)

• Like 2