New band - first single “Fimbulvetr”

projectm

I started a new band last summer, making a cross over between metal dub and ambient music, I guess. The really interesting thing is we have a singer of the Sami/Sapmi people, the indigenous people in Scandinavia, performing Joik for the vocals. We think it is pretty cool. We have a bunch of songs written for an album to be released late summer (we hope). This song, “Fimbulvetr”, was recorded in various places, mixed in Cubase. I’m curious to hear what you think. Link to streaming services and other stuff: https://lnk.bio/nordicgroovecollective 

Edited by projectm
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KSband said:

Pretty well done, certainly different . Not a genre that I usually listen to but sounds good.

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment ;)

9 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi

i think this sounds good - personally I would have liked the vocals up a little bit but apart from that, really good stuff

Nigel

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I can agree with that. It also needs a better recording of the vocals, so we’ll try that next time too 😛 Thanks for checking it out! 

6 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Mix sounds balanced, didn't understand a word, like Nigel the vox could be a little more forward.

There’s actually no words in the vocals. Joik is an emotional vocal style, I guess, and very rarely has any words. The closest he gets to any actual words is the “wah-wah-wah” phrase he does in the choruses which represents the wolf. On a side note, Fimbulvetr, the long winter before Ragnarok, was caused by the Fenris Wolf eating the sun. But he just do this joik thing after how the song makes him feel - which to me is a very powerful way of singing. And as far as we know, it hasn’t been done like this in a band setting before. 

Thanks for checking it out and commenting, Wookiee. I still check out your Sound Cloud when you drop something new ;)

16 hours ago, Wookiee said:

@projectm the "couldn't understand a word" comment a tongue in cheek joke, I was wondering if we were to get some throat singing. Which I always find intriguing and fascinating. 

Ha ha, gotcha. He does throat singing as well (I am currently practicing it my self) and he’ll be doing that on the album ;) 

• Great Idea 1

17 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

As has been said push that vocal up a bit.

👍's 👏

t

Thanks! This is great feedback and I absolutely agree. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment👍

• Like 1