Mix sanity check

jkoseattle

This is the very beginning of a much longer piece which employs a full orchestra. The ensemble here is two pianos, solo trumpet, solo cello and basses. I've used EQ and reverb in places. (The majority of the piece does not feature the trumpet or cello particularly, that's only for this opening bit.)

I am looking for feedback on a few things: 1) The mix overall. I need some objective ears on this. This isn't a final mix by any stretch, and some of it is going to depend on how the rest of the piece ends up sounding, but I'd like to get this project off to a running start. Any thoughts are welcome. 2) How fake does the fake trumpet sound? I'm using the best VIs I know, EastWest's Hollywood Orchestra, and I've messed with modulation and note durations and keyswitches to a certain extent, and though I know it won't fool anyone, I want it to be more or less non-noticeable. I already hear a couple necessary fixes. 

Edited by jkoseattle
  • Like 1

That does not sound like a  trumpet. Maybe pick a lead instrument that is more easily copied by a synth.  How about a violin or cello? There's someone on here that has a flute vst that sounds amazing but it wasn't cheap, usually the case with the good stuff.

I also think les verb would be better... except it makes your trumpet sound a "little more real"... is that why you chose it?
Spitfire Audio Labs Trumpet Fields is free and will sound better than the one you have.

8 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

Geez, it's not that bad. I'm new to this forum, and not a pluginster like sounds like you guys are. 

You will find we are all very polite on here..
Why did you ask for feedback?

Edited by garybrun

It was a mix sanity check. I should have specified that these instruments are what I'm going to be using so I'm not really interested in knowing what other instruments I could go out and procure. I was more interested in whether the articulations and mod wheel movements sounded decent, as this is a Cakewalk-related forum after all. Saying off the bat "That does not sound like a trumpet" is not helpful. Because, well, it actually IS a trumpet, and it sure sounds like one to me too. 

But I should have waited. Lots more instruments still to be introduced later in the piece, which will affect this.

I know, I've been on this forum many years, (though this is the first time venturing into this area). Everyone is really polite most of the time so I was taken aback. My experience has had me slaving away on a piece for weeks or months, then releasing it and only then being told the mix is no good. And yet, having people review my mixes along the way is hard to come by. 

Anyway, in the meantime, I'm moving on, already made some adjustments. Big piece to finish. Lesson learned, sorry everyone.

1 minute ago, jkoseattle said:

OK yeah, I added a bit because he's supposed to be far away, maybe it doesn't work.

If you want to create distance just reverb is not enough you need to narrow the frequency range as well, i.e. cut the top and bottom ends.

• Like 1

As an EX trumpet player , I would like to confirm , you "definetely" used the wrong trumpet vst , or it was mangled to the point of changing the basic sound of the instrument too much.  No "air" or proper attack. It Very much sounds "smooth" but not quite the sound to be going for to set the mood of the track to get your attention.   

I can get a better sound out of TTS .   Just another opinion to be dismissed ..    respectfully ..  mark

• Like 1

I think this is a very accomplished piece of music, and well written, I remember you from the previous cakewalk site, glad to hear you here . . . orchestral parts sound very convincing to my ear, from my vantage point at lower left orchestra row 5 . . . mix wise, I thought the overall level should be a little bit higher, as I'm comparing to other online pieces I've been listening to tonight, but I guess you will master that later. Can't wait to hear the full piece when you complete it, and hope you will give us a link when you're done !

• Like 1

TTS has crashed Cakewalk for me every single time. I so wish I could use it. Have never had time to figure it out.

Let me post this then and ask if these instruments also sound crummy to get an idea of the bar you are hoping I reach. The violin is the only live instrument in this track. Well, and the rain.

Anyway, thanks everyone, really, but I'm going to stop asking here. I do appreciate everyone's opinion, but this isn't going to be a trumpet-centric piece and I don't have the time to chase down versions of every instrument I'm going to be highlighting. I definitely posted too soon here before every other instrument comes in. I guess the trumpet bits are just gonna sound bad to trumpet afficionados, as I'm sure the oboe solos will to oboists, the harp to... you get the idea. Sigh... pressing on! Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:57 PM, KSband said:

That does not sound like a  trumpet. Maybe pick a lead instrument that is more easily copied by a synth.  How about a violin or cello? There's someone on here that has a flute vst that sounds amazing but it wasn't cheap, usually the case with the good stuff.

Sure, using a violin or cello as the lead instrument might be a better choice for synthesizing, as their sounds can be more easily replicated by virtual instruments. Flute VSTs can indeed produce stunning sounds, but quality often comes with a higher price tag. Nonetheless, investing in quality virtual instruments can greatly enhance the overall production value of your music.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice sounding mix and I like the arrangement. I agree with the others on the trumpet reverb. Glad you found a better solution to making it sound farther away.

One thing that I found jarring is that the piano notes sustain for a while and then cut off abruptly before being allowed to decay naturally. A pianist would likely hold the notes rather than lifting, to bring the listener to the next section. If you let them decay, it gives the ear something to hold on to before the next section comes in.

Can you let me know where you are hearing that piano effect? I'm a pianist myself so am very sensitive to minute piano details like that. However, as I type I realize that I hadn't finished this movement - far from it - so I haven't been paying the closest attention to those details yet.

Regarding the trumpet, turns out it was the wrong choice in the first place, and it's now a clarinet and much more appropriate for the musical moment. Now I'm on to part 2 of this track, different theme entirely, with solo strings and winds thrown in. Much consternation thereby.