Backstage Pass and Sonar Pricing

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

...a lot of stuff created these days it would be a stretch to call it a song😬

Haha! @John Vere, I believe you and I had this discussion a couple of years ago. The people who populate the Bandlab Universe can barely be called musicians, and the "work" they do bears only a passing resemblance to music. Great idea, facilitating collaboration, but during the worst of the pandemic I was able to produce several song projects with a five-piece band whose members are spread all over the country, without ever getting everyone together in the same room, and we even made videos! We drop-boxed files back and forth and it was not easy, but easier than using Bandlab.

Edited to add: I'm not including my colleagues here who have crossed over to become Bandlab users in the "barely musicians" category. You guys are the best, and you raise the quality level anywhere you go.

Edited by Larry Jones
  • Like 1

Hey @Larry Jones. Good to see you here. 
I made the mistake of publishing my (real) music to DistroKid and when I go in there to see what is going on all I see is an overwhelming amount of non music dribble. Today’s music distribution system could care less about what is being “created “. As long as people are willing to hand over money to get it “out there”. 
Playing live gigs is still my only saviour from all that BS. 
I hope you are out there once again too. Last summer was one of my busiest gig seasons ever.

I might even burn a few CD’s to sell for $5 each. That will be better than the $6 I got for 10,000 plays on all these so called streaming service. 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 11:41 PM, Terry Kelley said:

Long term pricing has not been announced. Right now you can play with Sonar via the Backstage pass. There is also no indication of the "official" launch date.

And this is the reason I've moved all of my current projects from Cakewalk to Reaper - the lack of news and information doesn't fill me with confidence. It's like 2017 all over again - at least that's the feeling I get. I'll stick with Reaper from now on, unless Cakewalk actually communicate what is going on with pricing and release dates.

Cheers,

Gary

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

Yeah, it’s hard to say what’s really going on. It sounds like they are still tweaking stuff but maybe Bandlab is flinching. We can all get it now at the Backstage pricing. Assume that’s final until Bandlab says otherwise.

I agree. All of these pricing and release questions need to be sent to Bandlab directly. We shouldn’t expect the developers to pass them on to Bandlab. Find an email for Bandlab and sent it there.

Edited by Terry Kelley

14 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

We can all get it now at the Backstage pricing. Assume that’s final until Bandlab says otherwise.

yep, i guess they're using it as a lure to the bsp program

• Like 1

So,  for clarity, if one buys the Bandlab membership subsciption, does that person have to pay an additional price for Sonar later?  Or will the Sonar price be included in that membership for the foreseeable future?

The bandlab membership price, if it includes Sonar without an additional Sonar price later, is fair.  One doesn't need to use the other bandlab membership services.

13 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

They already have. Whether Bandlab adds a one time payment or a cheaper price for those of us that don't want Bandlab remains to be seen.

I've never been able to figure out how/if a subscription was involved. I don' t use Bandlab and won't subscribe if that's required to use Sonar.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alan Bachman said:

So,  for clarity, if one buys the Bandlab membership subscription, does that person have to pay an additional price for Sonar later?  Or will the Sonar price be included in that membership for the foreseeable future?

The bandlab membership price, if it includes Sonar without an additional Sonar price later, is fair.  One doesn't need to use the other bandlab membership services.

I seriously doubt that is the case. Just my opinion of course. It's like you pay to try it out and when they come up with a price you pay again.
Now, I have said many times, I am READY to pay (NOT for ANY type of subscription). IMHO, the subscription BS to use Sonar now is just another way to GET $$$$. Yes I said that!
Why? Well they state it's NOT a beta-then come up with a price. Period!

I also have been getting familiar again with Reaper and since I forgot most of what I know I can buy another DAW product and really nothing lost for me. Does make me sad though-after32+ years!

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 4

On 3/17/2024 at 12:25 PM, User 905133 said:

The way I read it, you can get 3-days of using all that's included with the Backstage Pass, after which there is a monthly charge (unless you pay for a year's worth of the Backstage Pass).

My recent experience: if you intend to use the 3-day trial and kick the tires without the intention to buy immediately, you might want to block payment to Bandlab as soon as you sign-up. I signed-up for the 3 day trial, cancelled after a day, received notification that I had cancelled and still had a billing attempt by Bandlab for the monthly amount. Paranoid soul that I am, I blocked Bandlab on PayPal immediately after I signed up. The help desk eventually cleared the issue, but reading the policies, it seems that if the payment had gone through, it would have not been refundable, only cancelable before the next billing attempt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I bought the pass to see what wonders were in store.  Pretty underwhelmed so far and not really interested in Bandlabs other services. I'm going to reacquaint myself with Reaper and cancel subscription to Bandlab  . I've used Cakewalk since it was midi only.  I maybe have a romanticised view of how great it was,  but I don't see anything new in this new  Sonar,  so R.I.P Cakewalk Sonar 😥

• Great Idea 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, colin DAVIS said:

I bought the pass to see what wonders were in store.  Pretty underwhelmed so far and not really interested in Bandlabs other services. I'm going to reacquaint myself with Reaper and cancel subscription to Bandlab  . I've used Cakewalk since it was midi only.  I maybe have a romanticised view of how great it was,  but I don't see anything new in this new  Sonar,  so R.I.P Cakewalk Sonar 😥

I don't know how you get from being not interested in Bandlab's other services to R.I.P. unless you have made some assumptions about what the product and pricing options will be when the new products are ultimately released for sale.  Of course, there's been a rash of speculation going around. 

Edited by User 905133
added omitted word (of)

They will loose a few but my guess is they have already added a million new users! So saying you are switching to another DAW just because you don't like what is happening is sort of pointless to me. Just sit back, take a long draw on the reefer and relax! It's all just for entertainment! I'm still making some great music and it's been free for so so long I could care less about the stinking $15 a month fee. And I might just try using Bandlab as my Distribution server. Distro KId  ( guess the You Tuber who recommends we sign up for that is??)  just gave me a deposit for $5.35 after 4 months. And they took 30% ( american) taxes off that! I'm pulling my songs. I'm totally being ripped off and they run away with my annual fee. So I;ll see what happens with Bandlab. There are probably all Sharks. Fins Up everyone!  

@Terry Kelley 100% agree with

8 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

If you want to be heard you have to play live.

👍