Sonar - strange happenings...

Is this only happening to me?

> Start Sonar
> Open something using the "Local Projects" option from the Quick Start Screen

Note how many menu items are missing! No Close, Save, etc. Also, only File/Edit/Utilities/Help appear. Very weird.
image.png.6e97b2bdd61c78ebd33bf537641a1efa.png

It's the menu you expect when there is no project open, when it should be the full menu (when a project is open):

image.png.7ae101751275e7c5666d67518f1ad2d0.png

It was happening sporadically, but now it's happening every time I open a Local project. Even if I open multiple projects at the same time, there is no way to switch between them. I have to just exit Sonar to close them all.

If I open Quick Start, use the "Create" option, and then load a template, and all the menu choices re-appear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, sometimes I see 2 instances of Workspaces in the Control Bar with only 1 project open:

image.png.5e46353f61fc095b2008781607dcce04.png

And, even if you close the last remaining open project, you still see the 2 instances when the Quick Start Screen is displayed (and there is no project open):

image.png.8f10e42fa41ad8c3f643f63134afecf2.png

Edited by Sal Sorice
typos

Did you buy the Backstage Pass?

You cannot “save”, if you don’t activate. 
If you are on the “pass” I don’t have a clue. I haven’t had any issues in the limited time I’ve used Sonar. There’s a problem reporter in the help menu; IIRC 

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

This little bug must have occured recently, because I already managed to use save & save as a couple of days ago.

But now they've disappeared

Missing commands:

Save

Save As

Save Copy As

Import

Export

Browse Bandlab Projects

Publish to Bandlab

I did not try a reinstall of Sonar yet. I can reproduce the issue, and it seems to only happen with my local projects and with one of my templates.  It does not occur (AFAIK) with the stock templates. This was not happening a few days ago. Wonder if it was the latest update that caused it?

check for the Windows and OS related updates as well. the supposedly backward compatible redistributables can be the cause. like today for me - new KB updates on the OS - so a quick run of the redistributables and rescan VST to be sure. everthing seems to be running normal. i just get into the habit of doing this to avoid finding out i have issues when i'm working on a live project...

first time seeing the new interface up close, I can understand now why people describe it as "blurry", seems very difficult to focus on the text, seems to be no proper definition on the outlines of the text.

26 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

check for the Windows and OS related updates as well. the supposedly backward compatible redistributables can be the cause. like today for me - new KB updates on the OS - so a quick run of the redistributables and rescan VST to be sure. everthing seems to be running normal. i just get into the habit of doing this to avoid finding out i have issues when i'm working on a live project...

Thanks @Glenn Stanton. No Win updates installed, and as mentioned above, build 403 seems to have fixed the issue.

8 hours ago, Mr No Name said:

I can understand now why people describe it as "blurry", seems very difficult to focus on the text, seems to be no proper definition on the outlines of the text.

What screen resolution, physical size and Windows scaling? For me everything is noticeably sharper on both a 16" 3072 x 1920 laptop at 160%, and 24" 1920 x 1200 desktop monitors at 100%. The only thing I notice is that the font used in dialog boxes is so fine it almost looks grayed out on the laptop, but it's fine on the desktop monitors.

Edited by David Baay

56 minutes ago, John T said:

Regarding blurry text oddities, most everything looks great for me. But I'm getting weird squishy fonts in the title sections in Preferences

Same question as for MrNoName above: What screen resolution, physical size and Windows scaling? The Bakers will need to know.

I'm not seeing that on either my scaled laptop or unscaled desktop monitors, but I have intermittently seen Preferences displayed with oddly bold fonts in the past.

6 hours ago, David Baay said:

What screen resolution, physical size and Windows scaling? For me everything is noticeably sharper on both a 16" 3072 x 1920 laptop at 160%, and 24" 1920 x 1200 desktop monitors at 100%. The only thing I notice is that the font used in dialog boxes is so fine it almost looks grayed out on the laptop, but it's fine on the desktop monitors.

You can literally see it on the screen shots of the fonts posted on this page, 2 posts above and top of the page, I have no idea what resolution my laptop monitor is working at, but the text on this forum or any other text I read on it is not blurry or out of focus, if you were to zoom in on it the edges would not be defined by lines or square pixels, it looks like if you were using a paintshop program and the edges of the text would resemble a micro version of a spraycan effect on the edges?

This is not a techical analysis, it's a everyday consumers initial verdict on the clarity of the text,  I can only imagine the graphics department have the latest ultra high definition macbook superpro mk5 and can't see it possibly. It's very apparent.

I noticed the Preferences header text right off the bat.  In some, if not all, areas they've changed font faces, size, and the way fonts are displayed.

At 1920x1080 @100% zoom, CbB Header text is much more readable.  Sonar Header text looks like it's having trouble adjusting to standard resolutions.
preftext.jpg.81ae796fe6ac36a0c7f85f4a9fef742b.jpg

At 4K 3840x2160 @150% zoom on a 17" laptop, Sonar text looks cleaner than CbB text but would be easier to read if it wasn't bold.
Even tho the views below look bigger than the views above, they're much smaller on the 4K 17" screen.
preftext2.jpg.6f66654343296c01a4a61ae2a15c9d73.jpg

At 4K 3840x2160 @100% zoom, Sonar text still looks cleaner than CbB text but tends to become misaligned, or the boxes aren't resizing to fit it causing it to be shorter in height.  Again the views are smaller on the laptop.

preftext4.thumb.jpg.0efd77e3f7becd7d292327eb4524ad40.jpg