Not activiated issue - everytime I open Cakewalk - yet I am logged in??

Everytime I open Cakewalk I get the same message that Cakewalk is not activated!? Yet you can see I'm logged in ?? Both in bandlab and in Cakewalk ?? Every time now this is happening ?? Ideas anyone? and before you ask it is version 2024.02 the latest update!

image.thumb.png.4728201d99002a9523b03633395713bb.png

Here is what I would try.

· Turn your PC off and on again (make sure it does not merely go to sleep mode)
· Log on to Windows and, when the desktop is ready,  immediately open Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Check Help - About to make sure you’re using 2024.02 Build 98
· From the Cakewalk by Bandlab help menu , sign out so that the entry changes the “Sign in to Bandlab”
· From the Cakewalk by Bandlab help menu , click on to “Sign in to Bandlab” This should open the Bandlab sign in page using your default browser.
· Sign in using your Bandlab username and password
· On a properly configured PC, this should activate Cakewalk by Bandlab.

I have done this plenty of times and it has worked every time.

Things to note.
· Make sure Windows is fully patched (i.e. all possible updates are installed for your Windows version)
· Make sure there are now antivirus or third party firewalls interfering with the activation handshaking process.
· Make sure you are using Cakewalk by Bandlab 2024.02 Build 98 (or the latest at any given time).  Previous versions will not activate.
· Bandlab assistant is no longer used for activating Cakewalk by Bandlab.

4 hours ago, Promidi said:

Here is what I would try.

This is very thorough, and thank you BUT... The link I posted above refers to "2023.09" but it's equally applicable to "2024.02 Build 98"  and for my system none of your suggestions are necessary as all I have to do  when the toast pops up that says it is "Not Activated”  is close CbB and relaunch and viola it gets activated. I don't know if the OP can do this? I thought it might be the AV and excluded the "Cakewalk.exe" from real time scanning to no effect & I have no blocked connections!  This did not occur to CbB versions prior to "2023.09"!  It appears that I'm not unique so it seems that maybe, just maybe it's condition caused by these final versions released after "2022.11", at least, for some of us. It's a largely a worrying annoyance, but I wish support would look into it 🙄... 

6 hours ago, C. A. Hamman said:

Everytime I open Cakewalk I get the same message that Cakewalk is not activated!? Yet you can see I'm logged in ?? Both in bandlab and in Cakewalk ?? Every time now this is happening ?? Ideas anyone? and before you ask it is version 2024.02 the latest update!

image.thumb.png.4728201d99002a9523b03633395713bb.png

Make sure to login at www.bandlab.com as well. 

18 hours ago, Promidi said:

· Turn your PC off and on again (make sure it does not merely go to sleep mode)

^^^ This.

When was the last time you rebooted? In the past I've had issues with "zombie" logins to Bandlab that don't work for authentication and persist even after logging out and closing all browser sessions.

23 hours ago, Will. said:

Make sure to login at www.bandlab.com as well. 

Logging in to bandlab.com is irrelevant. You have to sign in from within CbB. When the Web browser opens sign in there with your bandlab credentials. That's all there is to it.

If it fails then something on the system is blocking it. You can attempt offline with using a different PC if so.

• Great Idea 1

6 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Logging in to bandlab.com is irrelevant.

Not if it works. Which it does. It is still somehow linked to bandlab login. 

I have reported this many times before. You've ignored it, like you're doing now. 

Edited by Will.

4 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I can assure you that it is not.

It does. I too have my share of login issues from time to time in CbB. When the in app login kicks me out and doesnt want to login again, I have to open my browser, jump to www.bandlab.com sign in there, then back to the app to login - and voila. 

It works with the old sign method for me at least . . . I'll record you the process when I do run in to that problem again. 

• Like 1

I've been watching these comments, but CbB had never asked me to sign in, until it did tonight.  In the Help | Sign in to Bandlab, it all worked just fine as Noel said.  

I can't say whether or not there is a defect in this process, since it doesn't reproduce for me.  I agree that "works for me" is not a demonstration.  Makes it difficult though.

When I signed in thru CbB, I checked the Bandlab websites and neither one said I was logged in there.  Does that mean they are separate or unrelated sign ins?  I don't know.

Edited by sjoens

22 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Logging in to bandlab.com is irrelevant. You have to sign in from within CbB. When the Web browser opens sign in there with your bandlab credentials. That's all there is to it.

If it fails then something on the system is blocking it. You can attempt offline with using a different PC if so.

I documented my experience, others have a similar issue and for me this did not occur to CbB versions prior to "2023.09". The question is how to track this down if it only occurs to some of us,  A windows task manager dump may not capture what's initially blocking  the handshake  which for me subsequently disappears on a relaunch with a now activated notice, incidentally when the Bandlab membership promo notice popped up there was no following activation issues and clicking check for updates shows the CbB version is up to date. Any suggestions?

19 minutes ago, Tez said:

I documented my experience, others have a similar issue and for me this did not occur to CbB versions prior to "2023.09". The question is how to track this down if it only occurs to some of us,  A windows task manager dump may not capture what's initially blocking  the handshake  which for me subsequently disappears on a relaunch with a now activated notice, incidentally when the Bandlab membership promo notice popped up there was no following activation issues and clicking check for updates shows the CbB version is up to date. Any suggestions?

Sign in is complex because it relies on the browser handshake. If something in windows blocks it there isn't a whole lot we can do. It's not a bug in our code so I can't help you with that in this scenario.

Using offline auth via product center to activate from a different machine is the easiest solution. If sign in fails even from product center then you have a more fundamental problem with your account or credentials.