So I'm playing with the new Sonar

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

Control Bar no longer slides to navigate hidden modules.  It now collapses modules if needed to crowd everyone into the visible frame - not really a fan of this.

Check the lock options in the context menu for the Control Bar if either Lock and Justify or Lock and Center are selected, the scroll controls will go away.  Lock Order or no locking will give you the controls.

In general I would suggest that anyone experiencing behavior different then CbB first check for preferences/options that have defaulted to a different state in Sonar.

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

> Currently no drag & drop to Track View...

> Quick Groups in Track View still broken - going on 4 yrs now.

> Something goofy with Console FX Assignable Controls top box. 

These need more detail.

Is this new Sonar still in the beta phase?

I assume when it is out of beta there will be a major announcement, etc.

Edited by Alan Bachman

17 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

Side by side at 1920 I can't say it's any sharper but I suspect high resolutions will look better. If anyone is using >1920 let us know.

Much sharper overall for me on both my 1920x1200 desktop monitors at 100% and my 3072x1920 laptop scaled to 160%. Easiest way to see it is to have them both full-screen and Alt+Tab back and forth. I'd like to see some fonts enlarged in Sonar to better match CbB (e.g. Transport and Mix module numbers and labels), but they are definitely less fuzzy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pwal³ said:

so it says: "Will installing Cakewalk Sonar overwrite Cakewalk by BandLab?

No, the two applications install to different locations on your file system, so they can coexist on your computer."

does this mean the "shared utilities" folder hive is no longer shared, or does it still use that one location?

Cakewalk Sonar still uses Shared Utilities. Sonar installs alongside Cakewalk by BandLab the same way CbB installs alongside SONAR Platinum. 

36 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Cakewalk Sonar still uses Shared Utilities. Sonar installs alongside Cakewalk by BandLab the same way CbB installs alongside SONAR Platinum. 

so installing an older version could still break the latest version? maybe that faq could be updated for the new product, it might cause some hoo-har moving forward

1 minute ago, pwal³ said:

so installing an older version could still break the latest version? maybe that faq could be updated for the new product, it might cause some hoo-har moving forward

It would be highly unlikely. That's been thoroughly tested and we have not had any reports through the ongoing beta process about any conflicts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

very confused

Go to cakewalk.com 

cursor down to the bottom of the page, under the heading Sonar you’ll find “download”.

evidently this is still a beta version. In order to save any work in Sonar you have to subscribe to BandLab’s “Backstage Pass”. 
HTH,

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pwal³ said:

so installing an older version could still break the latest version?

Newer components of Shared Utilities have always been fully backward-compatible with earlier releases. And going the other way, older CW installers will not overwrite a newer file so there shouldn't ever be an issue.

Posted (edited)

They haven’t given us specific pricing but so far you have monthly and yearly for this beta release. The final pricing is unknown but I highly doubt it will be less than this.

I’m hoping they will split out Sonar and make it available without the Bandlab stuff. For me Bandlab isn’t a selling point. If I want to get exposure, I’ll go out on the road.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

I’m not sure we call this a Beta. I think that might be over. I think you call this a trial evaluation. They will probably now want more widespread use to really put it to the test . The more people using it the more issues will be found. 3 days isn’t much unless you do a none stop session.

I put it aside for now until later when I can try a project from start to finish. That’s how I do it. 
I’m not expecting anything exciting to happen. There’s still no Talent button! 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

Installed.
And I remain confused about some things.
I found the installation process for this version without any improvements in installation time.
The loading time of a project in the previous version I also found to be very slow.
When trying to activate me, my BANDLAB username was not accepted.
The new interface I found to be very similar to the REAPER that I have been using.
I didn't notice access to visual improvements, apart from dark mode.
I don't know if I'm right, but it seems like just a "makeup" over the latest free version.
It's just an impression.
The much talked about improvement in interaction with screens was not taken to the FX Chairs.

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

older CW installers will not overwrite a newer file so there shouldn't ever be an issue.

This is exactly what happened to me when I ran an X3 update after installing CbB.  It overwrote the ProChannel EQ so that when opening CbB I was told it found an earlier version and may be missing some features... sure enough it was overwritten.

@Milton Sica
at cakewalk.com there are links to CakewalkSonar and then a link to Backstage Pass.
There you can select a 3 day "free" membership that will activate Sonar for 3 days (see image below).

Legal.jpg.3d084e89fc9cf71f36b99a0e0e18a938.jpg

This is what I see when I launch Sonar:

Renew.jpg.b4c2932e6dee75b43954c3621f26370e.jpg

HTH,

t

Edited by DeeringAmps

I didn't find anything like that and I'm giving up trying here. I'm going to wait for the commercial version to be released and then think about whether I'm going to remigrate, as I'm doing well in REAPER. Thanks.What is the activation procedure?
I double click on the box that requests it, sends it to the website and there the procedure is, as far as I can see, hidden.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Baay said:
13 hours ago, sjoens said:

Control Bar no longer slides to navigate hidden modules.  It now collapses modules if needed to crowd everyone into the visible frame - not really a fan of this.

Check the lock options in the context menu for the Control Bar if either Lock and Justify or Lock and Center are selected, the scroll controls will go away.  Lock Order or no locking will give you the controls.

Thanks. Selecting Resize All Modules > Large did it.  The default is Auto, so the scroll arrows never showed.

8 hours ago, David Baay said:
13 hours ago, sjoens said:

> Currently no drag & drop to Track View...

> Quick Groups in Track View still broken - going on 4 yrs now.

> Something goofy with Console FX Assignable Controls top box. 

These need more detail.

Original post edited for needed detail. Click top right arrow in my quote box to go there.

Edited by sjoens