Los Angeles

Barry Seymour

3 hours ago, garybrun said:

Cool song.
Great lyrics.

Regarding the vocals..
Isn't it just do them as you normally would then add a high  pass and low pass filter to you get the effect you want.
Then add saturation to make them pop?

That sounds like a better idea. Thanks!

• Like 1

Barry . . . it starts with that AM radio broadcast, then the vocals come in accentuating those very same AM radio frequencies., probably too much 1-5K. @garybrun suggestion will help this a lot. Interesting that the lyrics are all so clear to understand, but not pleasing to the ear in that middle range, it's a delicate balance.

It is a bit different for you, more synth driven, than guitar driven . . . good song idea, and really liked the lyrics . . . fix that vocal mix, and you've got another winner !

• Like 2

12 hours ago, noynekker said:

Barry . . . it starts with that AM radio broadcast, then the vocals come in accentuating those very same AM radio frequencies., probably too much 1-5K. @garybrun suggestion will help this a lot. Interesting that the lyrics are all so clear to understand, but not pleasing to the ear in that middle range, it's a delicate balance.

It is a bit different for you, more synth driven, than guitar driven . . . good song idea, and really liked the lyrics . . . fix that vocal mix, and you've got another winner !

Thanks. I worked on this last night. I had applied a voice doubler to the track (just two voices) and a guitar amp - that latter made it really harsh. I took the guitar amp off, tried the 'AM Radio' EQ and that didn't work either. I ended up doing just the opposite - boosted the bass a bit and the treble a LOT and it works. It's clear, it cuts through a bit, but it's not so harsh. I also backed down the vocal volume a bit so it sits in the mix better. I'm at work now, will post that mix in a few hours.

Thanks, @noynekker!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Barry, this is a terrific song!  I like that you are willing to experiment with styles because it keeps you from being predictable.  I like the vocals in the version I just listened to.  Keep it up!

I normally qualify my efforts by admitting "my music is 50 years out of date." Well, with this song, I'm up to being only 40 years out of date. 😂

Thanks for the compliment.

• Haha 1

Brilliantly done Barry ! Mix sounding great now . . . really enjoyed the Bridge part where you insert some nature against the traffic mayhem, the video really accents that . . . nice touch, sounds excellent, well written tune.

• Like 1