Melodyne files

i keep it on my "quick access" list (along with a few other products which cache renderings in the documents folder - sometime mine, sometimes the "public" user...) so i am reminded to periodically clean them up. 

ensuring you render the Melodyne region when you're done, the clean up is mostly done for you. if you don't render it and close the project or delete the track w/o rendering it, you get leftover separations.

• Like 1

Edit: Feb 9. Below was wrong info as I was not looking in the correct folder. Mine had 340 MB. 

When ever I look in there it’s always empty. I use Melodyne a lot but I always render immediately before moving on. 
My Z key opens Melodyne and my X key Renders. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, treesha said:

Hi Charles, not a dumb question because the folder can get large. On windows, mine is  - c/users/(name)/documents/celemony/separations. I hadn't emptied it in a while and its 1.17 gb!

Yeah, you want to check the Separations folder. Unless you changed the settings inside Melodyne, that folder defaults to 10GB.

Edited by mettelus

I was puzzled by the comments that if you render the melodyne it does not generate a separation file in that folder because I am in the habit of rendering my work and rarely if ever would close a project with a melodyne open in process and always get files in my separations folder. So I just did an experiment with a one track project and empty separations folder. I edited an audio clip with melodyne, rendered it, closed the project, and a file of it showed up in my separations folder. So it was rendered and the project closed and that separation showed up. Maybe there is a setting somewhere that @John Vere and @Glenn Stanton have setup that I havent?  Thanks for any info

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

The Separations folder starts to kick the oldest items out when it hits its internal limit. If it has never been manually purged, and you use Melodyne, it will not be empty.

If Melodyne edits are not rendered/bounced before saving a cwp, you will also see the cwp file grow in size, since the cwp is storing the edit information to pass to Melodyne when the cwp gets opened.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, treesha said:

I was puzzled by the comments that if you render the melodyne it does not generate a separation file in that folder because I am in the habit of rendering my work and rarely if ever would close a project with a melodyne open in process and always get files in my separations folder.

the separation files are generated and then removed on render. however a couple of factors can play into it. "rarely" in my lingo means "sometimes" and this could result in those files 🙂 and as mettelus mentions - "caching" beyond memory allocation. lastly, i've seen issues with cloud storage where if the cache is in a cloud service folder (like Documents) then it's possible OneDrive (e.g.) backs them up and restores them (you know, trying to keep your files safe and all) 🙂 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t quite get how some of us get files in the separations folder and some dont. My computer is offline when Im working in cakewalk.  I render asap and before I close a project. I learned early on if you close a file with melodyne active, reopening the file or the work previously done may be wonky so I haven’t done that in years. I don’t  cloud anything ever music or other stuff. I have plenty of room in the separations folder, in my example above it was empty. Another of life’s mysteries I guess! 

• Like 1

Anyone figured out a way to detect when you've left a clip unrendered?  I've been using the method of creating a region on a random clip and then seeing if any other clips show up but maybe there is some indicator that I've left a region unrendered. I don't leave them unrendered very often but once I awhile I'll forget.

Edited by Terry Kelley

2 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Anyone figured out a way to detect when you've left a clip unrendered?  I've been using the method of creating a region on a random clip and then seeing if any other clips show up but maybe there is some indicator that I've left a region unrendered. I don't leave them unrendered very often but once I awhile I'll forget.

There should be an RFX indicator at the top right of the clip if it's unrendered:

image.png.3fed33d6389a789edbacf3ec34a668b9.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, msmcleod said:

There should be an RFX indicator at the top right of the clip if it's unrendered:

image.png.3fed33d6389a789edbacf3ec34a668b9.png

which, on longer or offset clips read "RF"  🙂 and left clicking (assuming that's your button configuration) let's you easily select Copy MIDI and remove/render etc... this let's you quickly step through and render them...

image.png.c28aaaa53a6f46de9d0004fa0b0b3a09.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, charles kasler said:

What are cmp files that are mixed in with the Cake Projects folder? Are they related to Melodyne?

Not sure what you have, but I have tons of *.cmp files which begin with arp and that seem to be related to z3ta+.  I also have some that seem to be related to FEUD.  But they are not in the Cakewalk Projects folder. Can you give us any more clues about the files?

Edited by User 905133
added clarification

late response: My file structure is C/Cakewalk Projects & Cakewalk Content. The files are very small but no idea what they are. I can't open them. They're so small it may be more trouble to delete than it's worth since they're scattered into different folders. 

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled.jpg