Karzog True Dynamics, True Iron, and KClip updates are broken (but fixable)

the latest versions of the Karzog plugins use a ".vst3" extension on the folder which causes the scanning of those plugins to pass, but not actually reach the real plugin DLL themselves. i've notified the Karzog support folks. in the meantime, if you remove the ".vst3" from the folder they will work. the VST 2 are not affected as they don't have that extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

if you remove the ".vst3" from the folder they will work

The latest update from IKM to ToneX has the same issue. I haven’t checked Reaper or S1 to see if this is just peculiar to CbB or not. If it is just CbB, hopefully the bakers will sort it…

t

i know windows can be sensitive to adding known program extensions to folders. not sure why developers do it given the "standard" is Common Files -> VST3  😉 but sometimes people get too clever for their own good i guess.

for conspiracy minded folks - maybe someone in a competing DAW noticed this defect in CbB and decided to tell all their friends to add the ".vst3" to their folders for "cleaner" housekeeping (wink wink) and then knowing they don't support "free" DAW, that CbB users will be frustrated... 😛 

Edited by Glenn Stanton

1 hour ago, Glenn Stanton said:

for conspiracy minded folks - maybe someone in a competing DAW noticed this defect in CbB and decided to tell all their friends to add the ".vst3" to their folders for "cleaner" housekeeping (wink wink) and then knowing they don't support "free" DAW, that CbB users will be frustrated... 😛 

It is aliens.

no, it's supposedly Steinberg's fault. according to this response from Karzog support:

This is actually the way that Steinberg's latest VST3 specification works, but right now, there is an issue with Cakewalk that prevents some plugins from loading in this manner. We're looking into it, but the issue is isolated to Cakewalk at this time.

Sorry about that!

-- Kazrog Support

of course, this seems weird as i have at least 800 VST3 and none of them do this poorly thought-out folder naming.

@Noel Borthwick @Jesse Jost any thoughts on this?

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

yeah the Karzog support says lot's of people doing it now. so just remove the .vst3 from the folder name and it should be good. the only issue might be when content is stored in the same directory and the path is hardcoded... 

Edited by Glenn Stanton

noting several folders in the VST3 dir here with a ".vst3" extension and they all scan/load as expected including Tonex, but that was only after a complete uninstall/reinstall after the latest update. could be some other issue given that it's IK, but works as expected now.

the latest update from Kazrog failed to load despite appearing to scan successfully, killing the extension does the trick. 🙏

... also failed to scan in S1 V5.2, had to run Remove Plug-in Settings and rescan after changing the folder extension, looks ok for now

Edited by jackson white
update on debug effort

The Nomad Factory VST3s (80s Spaces, All-Tec EQs and Pulse-Tec EQs) have folders with a suffix of .vst3 and work fine, as does Suurge XT, so it's not something absolute about the .vst suffix on the folder calling the problem.

What are the contents of a "broken" .vst3 folder, as I guess it may be something  inside the folder that is causing the issue.

That aside, I can see how a folder named equal to a file inside the folder could cause unexpected behaviour (recursion oddities).  It also plain looks wrong!

On my machine simply removing ".vst3" on the folder was not adequate.  Even after multiple attempts, reinstalls, full scans, etc

I had to rename the folder and move the VST3 file itself into the parent folder.   (where other VST3 plugins go from various developers if they are not put in their own subfolder.  That worked for me

• Like 1

Same issue the last update to DMG Limitless had.

I uninstalled all my Kazrog plugs - great stuff btw especially the Avalon - and reinstalled with the latest and all good.

I shared my finding with Kazrog support who responded almost instantaneously. 

On 1/31/2024 at 5:45 PM, Xoo said:

The Nomad Factory VST3s (80s Spaces, All-Tec EQs and Pulse-Tec EQs) have folders with a suffix of .vst3 and work fine, as does Suurge XT, so it's not something absolute about the .vst suffix on the folder calling the problem.

What are the contents of a "broken" .vst3 folder, as I guess it may be something  inside the folder that is causing the issue.

That aside, I can see how a folder named equal to a file inside the folder could cause unexpected behaviour (recursion oddities).  It also plain looks wrong!

it's possible that the couple of subdirectories for the Karzog plugins are confusing things . not sure. i see several of my vst3 plugins have the directory and seem to work fine. those plugins are instruments though, so maybe there is an issue with FX vs VI?

@Noel Borthwick

Hey everyone,

We're still in the process of investigating the issue. I've also reached out to the Cakewalk team and am awaiting a reply.

Steinberg has changed the structure of the VST3 format in recent versions, where there is a parent folder with the .vst3 extension. See geeky developer documentation here.

After investigating for the last day or so, it's my hunch that Cakewalk needs to update their implementation of the VST3 specification in order to support the new bundled format and manifest files. This will allow (in theory) for faster plugin folder scanning, and greater compatibility with all VST3 plugins going forward.

• Like 2

Just a quick update: I've heard back from the Cakewalk team, and they're conducting an investigation on their end. I'll be watching my inbox for any further communication from them, but I was impressed by their response time. 

• Like 3