The Dogs Doin FIne

John Vere

This was an experiment. I bought Band in a Box because my 14 year old Grandson has taken up playing guitar and has written 30 songs already.  His songs are actually good as country music goes. He writes about Pick up trucks and his favorite hat, etc. He has a good sense of song structure but is not really there yet with his playing. 

I proceeded to learn how to use Band in a Box. The idea was he could learn to pick a style and play around with different chords and arrangements on his own. Then export it as midi and we would finish it in Cakewalk. I then found out how limiting Band in a Box is. The midi it exports apparently is for the notation display.  It's bare bones. Example a steel guitar will have mod wheel pitch bends that sound cool in Band in a Box but they do not export. Apparently band in a Box doesn't really use Midi or Midi instruments it uses Real Tracks. I imagine they are sample loops that kinda drift around the chord changes. 

Anyhow for a laugh I entered the chords for this old song of mine  and as exported the midi to create a TTS-1 project in Cakewalk. I then exported the Steel guitar as an audio track because as I said the midi sucked.  I had to fix a bunch of spots that sounded terrible using Melodyne. 

Then I've totally replaced all but the midi drum part. The rest sounded like,,, well, Band in a Box. 

• Like 4

Take note that this is what I really sound like. I sang it at 10 in the morning and only had to do a few punch ins to get the phrasing right. No Melodyne was involved. I love this style of country music because it sounds better if you can sing that well! 

I just joined the BiB user forum and ya I see some familiar avatars there. I asked a question and got really good answers which have helped learn how to use it.

Lots of people seem to use it as a tool to start songs and then finish in a DAW. Great user forum just like here it seems.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. Glad I’m not the only one who likes corny country!

Hey @Bridget Murphy  could you remove the quote from your post because that link will become dead later on as I plan on fixing the steel guitar a little more and will update the file. Sound cloud creates a new link. That’s why I don’t normally use it. Thanks. 

12 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

I did a song with bib, a long time ago. If we have a bib theme day I'll post it.

I see all sorts of people from this and even the old Sonar forum on BiB forum. I spotted the Martian there. 

16 hours ago, John Vere said:

Thanks everyone. Glad I’m not the only one who likes corny country!

Hey @Bridget Murphy  could you remove the quote from your post because that link will become dead later on as I plan on fixing the steel guitar a little more and will update the file. Sound cloud creates a new link. That’s why I don’t normally use it. Thanks. 

Oh yes of course. By the way good luck on your next project.

• Like 1

Love it!  Once in a while I tune in to country radio and hear songs that are pretty much the same bland formula and instantly forgettable. I listened to your song a while ago and I can still hear it because of the melody, chords and lyrics.  IDK maybe a catchy melody is considered too corny for air time nowadays?

-Bjorn

• Like 1

BiaB, EZDrummer, EZKeys, the Wrecking Crew; just “tools” in the toolbox. Sounds like you got the “most” out of it to me! Especially the pedal steel. 

<on a mission>Didn’t see a lot of likes or comments on SoundCloud. Now SC HATES my iPhone. But I persevered and was finally able to login. Help a brother out, eh?</on a mission>

John, thought the Uncle song was great as well…

t

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

John, thought the Uncle song was great as well…

Ya I abandoned Sound Cloud a few years ago as it seems to be declining. I like that on Sound Click you can easily update a song. 
Only reason I put this song on Sound cloud for now is it’s a work in progress and I seem to have a lot of followers on Sound Click now so didn’t want to contaminate that playlist just yet. 
I sort of use Sound Cloud for music that I do for fun. 
I forgot about the Uncle Stuff that was our band 12 or more years ago. It was a lot of fun but the Drummer moved away and we never found a suitable replacement.  

• Like 1