5 drummers who made classic rock classic?

Bapu

This popped up in my newsfeed.

Back in the 1960s and ’70s, classic rock was big, and the spotlight was usually brightest on the guys with the mics and/or the guitars. We think the ones in the back, sticks in hand, setting the rhythm to every tune should get a lot more attention.

The drummers who helped make classic rock, well…classic were so much more than mere background noise; they kept the beat, set the pace, and brought that raw energy that is essential to classic rock. Here are five drummers who didn’t just play the drums—they helped make classic rock classic. 

1. John Bonham of Led Zeppelin

When you’re talking about classic rock bands, Led Zeppelin belongs at the top of the list. And when you’re talking about classic rock drummers, well, John Bonham is up there too. Bonham was the thunder behind the storm known as Led Zeppelin. Take “When the Levee Breaks,” for example. Is there a more iconic intro than that one? Also, in “Good Times, Bad Times,” Bonham nailed those ridiculously rapid beats with just one bass drum. Go ahead and try that. It’ll take you all of three seconds to realize how talented Bonham was.

2. Keith Moon of The Who

When you think of energetic, frantic, absolutely crazy drumming, Keith Moon comes to mind. The man was an absolute whirlwind behind the drums. His playing style was wild, full of life, and full of power. Imagine a song like “My Generation” with a different drummer. It just would not be the same. Sure, he was a bit of a loose cannon offstage, but his drumming was that of a creative genius.

3. Neil Peart of Rush

If Moon and Bonham were the fire-breathing dragons of classic rock drummers, Neil Peart was its wizard. He mixed rock and jazz to make Rush that unique entity in music: something that no one, anywhere, ever, could sound like. We suggest listening to “YYZ” as a case study. Peart was also the brains behind Rush’s thought-provoking lyrics. That is something that not a lot of drummers could say.

4. Ginger Baker of Cream

How committed was Ginger Baker to expanding his musical horizons? He moved to Nigeria in the ’70s to seek out new styles. Of course, Baker had already reached classic rock bliss as the drummer for Cream. Before Peart, Baker blended jazz and rock drumming to create Cream’s distinct sound. 

5. Charlie Watts of The Rolling Stones

The endurance award goes to Charlie Watts. The Rolling Stones’ super chill drummer was the steady heartbeat of the band for more than 50 years. And while his style was less showy, his beats in songs like “Start Me Up” fit like a glove. Watts loved jazz, but it’s his legendary impact on classic rock that earned him a spot on our list.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Old Joad said:

Mitch Mitchell🥁

+0.8

Yeah but.... did he really make classic rock classic?

In the top 10 best rock drummers of all time, probably I'd agree.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

I'd add Ringo Starr in there. While not as technically proficient as the others, his impact can not be denied.

For his impact I'd agree. A plethora of pro drummers love Ringo to be sure. I do too.

If it had to be only 5, I would easily drop Charlie for Ringo. Only because Ringo covered more diverse styles than Charlie, IMO, even though Charlies was far more technically competent than Ringo (again JMO).

• Like 2

To me, in rock, the list always boils down to two names: Bonham and Peart. And I cannot really choose between them. 

If the list extends any further, then it's all debatable. Starr, Watts, Paice are among the first names to come to mind obviously. Phil Collins, too, although maybe not for this top 5 list.

I'm not a fan but I do get that Moon would be on the list - on the other hand, Phil Rudd of AC/DC would be on my list, which only testifies to personal preferences. Not sure I'd put him on the top 5 list, but still...

Edited by Rain
  • Like 4

What is your take on Bill Bruford?

Before adding drummer like Ringo and Watts to the list, he is technically far more qualified for the list.

He starts his career with Savoy Brown, then he moved to Yes, with whom he recorded the crucial albums of the 70s. Bruford moved on to King Crimson, was a touring drummer with Genesis, and founded the highly acclaimed fusion band UK in 1978