So.... it turns out a guitar I have is pretty rare!

hockeyjx

I put my Les Paul Standard in the shop for a once over, and to get it ready for a potential sale. I thought it was a 1990 TV Yellow version, of which it was a limited on year color. But it turns out there were two with the color made in 1992, of which I have one (oddly enough, their serial numbers are 14 numbers apart). The other me and my guitar tech found was worth a few thousand.

I'm happy it is rare and in good shape, and now I have to figure out the best way to sell it. Has anyone here sold through reverb.com? Are there any gotchas to that site or others? 

Similar listing:image.thumb.png.d4f65d71608c39a3eb8c8eff59676d3b.png

Edited by hockeyjx

5 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

I'd keep that sucker and play the hell out of it.

It plays nice, but it is in standard flat tuning, and I write in non-standard tunings(and mess around with tunings in general). So, for me, it is to tap my inner Ace Frehley and not much else. If I can get the value that is above or close, I can buy a few different acoustic guitars to mess around with AND some studio toys ...which I feel would be the best use of resources.

Edited by hockeyjx

I've sold a bunch of stuff on Reverb over the years.  Standard scammers and low-ballers will apply.  But if it's truly rare, you'll get offers.  Most likely from dealers who hope you're desperate.  If you know what you have and you price it to sell...it'll sell.  Question is, as always, do you really want to give away 8.19% + $0.49 when you sell it?

image.png.21f5d21b58ce1c1c040c55d0b9981128.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HOOK said:

I've sold a bunch of stuff on Reverb over the years.  Standard scammers and low-ballers will apply.  But if it's truly rare, you'll get offers.  Most likely from dealers who hope you're desperate.  If you know what you have and you price it to sell...it'll sell.  Question is, as always, do you really want to give away 8.19% + $0.49 when you sell it?

image.png.21f5d21b58ce1c1c040c55d0b9981128.png

I don't think FB Marketplace is a good place, and not sure about eBay either. Any music store won't scratch but about half it's true value.  Because if I sold it for $3500 on reverb.com hypothetically, I'd still get $3185 in pocket.

I'm open to other ideas, I am just not aware of them.

Edited by hockeyjx

3 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

I put my Les Paul Standard in the shop for a once over, and to get it ready for a potential sale. I thought it was a 1990 TV Yellow version, of which it was a limited on year color. But it turns out there were two with the color made in 1992, of which I have one (oddly enough, their serial numbers are 14 numbers apart). The other me and my guitar tech found was worth a few thousand.

I'm happy it is rare and in good shape, and now I have to figure out the best way to sell it. Has anyone here sold through reverb.com? Are there any gotchas to that site or others? 

Similar listing:image.thumb.png.d4f65d71608c39a3eb8c8eff59676d3b.png

reverb.com takes a selling fee and a processing fee and if you use the "bump" feature there's yet more they take. The bump only happens on the final sale price (allowing for if you accept offers). 

54 minutes ago, Gswitz said:

Use reverb to judge the value and post it for that with no haggle on Craig's list.  Then you don't have shipping and could end up with two buyers in a bidding war. 

And then you and the actual buyer can meet at somewhat "dodgy" public place so neither has to reveal where you live. 🙂 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

I don't think FB Marketplace is a good place, and not sure about eBay either. Any music store won't scratch but about half it's true value.  Because if I sold it for $3500 on reverb.com hypothetically, I'd still get $3185 in pocket.

I'm open to other ideas, I am just not aware of them.

FWIW, of course it depends on your location and if you're shipping, but I sold 6 or 7 guitars, a Marshall half stack, a few outboard compressors, smaller amps and amp stands, pedals, mics, and a Pro Tools control surface on FB and never had a problem. 

I felt that the good thing is that you can have a look at their profile and at least get a feel for who they may be, and decide whether you want to do business with them. 

One time a guy reached out to me for that Pro Tools mixer. Took a peak at his profile. No sign of him being involved in music in any capacity, and his occupation was "Gettin Money". Googled him and what I found was an article with a mug shot and something about criminal charges for traffic and some time he'd spent in jail, and even that he'd been investigated in connection with an homicide. 

That being said, I got to meet cool people. Sold the aforementioned Pro Tools mixer to a guy from Gogol Bordello and a guitar to a guy from Slash's band.

Edited by Rain

19 minutes ago, craigb said:

My guitar is even more rare!  It's a "one of one!" 😁

Haha...there's also that.  I have an extremely rare guitar that's basically worthless....but I'd never sell it because it's a ridiculously great guitar.

• Great Idea 1

I had very good luck selling through an actual music store. I sold through a local shop near me in the KC area.

I don't know what state or country you're in. The place I used was in Lawrence Kansas. 

I got away from buying and selling on places like eBay and Reverb. Places where scamming is almost encouraged.

My suggestion would be a local place if you can or Facebook marketplace where you have total control over the transaction, where and when you meet, and getting cash with no refunds in hand directly from the person.

That said, the shop I sold through in KS is large and well known. I don't know how many places like that are left. They took a lot of great photos, set up the guitar and verified it was 100% original and did a very professional online ad on their website. I forget what their cut was, but with all they went through to sell it for me I thought it was fair. They took care of shipping and everything and it actual sat in their shop for walk on traffic too.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Reverb.com has its pros and cons. That being said, I’ve had good luck buying and selling. eBay was ok at one time, but (IMHO) it’s a shite show these days. Craigslist is “sketchy”, but I’ve used it some (more general merch, not instruments).

Did the Paul listed by Mike and Mike sell? I’ve done business with them and they have a good grasp of the market, but “one off” items like this can be “hit or miss”. “TV Yellow” is a hot item; for Juniors and Specials, but a Standard? Takes a “special” client I would think. Goldtops and ‘Bursts for “Standards”, at least in my experience…

Give the Mikes a call, maybe they can give you some insight. 

t

18 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

it is in standard flat tuning, and I write in non-standard tunings

Where is it written that you can’t “tune” a Paul any way you like? I get it, you want to use its value to move “sideways” on some new gear. I’ve bought many “good” to “great” guitars, seems like each has a “song” or two to give me; then I move on. Rarely have I lost money on a “previously” owned guitar  

18 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

I have a hard enough time just playing  tuned the regular way!

You and me both brother…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

Where is it written that you can’t “tune” a Paul any way you like? I get it, you want to use its value to move “sideways” on some new gear. I’ve bought many “good” to “great” guitars, seems like each has a “song” or two to give me; then I move on. Rarely have I lost money on a “previously” owned guitar  

Your "standard" alternate tunings (say Dropped-D or DADGAD aren't a problem, but I'm tuning some strings UP and some down. And I don't want to twist the neck of a valuable guitar messing around, I want cheaper acoustics to do that(acoustic is primarily how I write/record these days) . If I lock in on something, I'll have the guitar setup to handle the tuning ...which I have two like that now.

Edited by hockeyjx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

Did the Paul listed by Mike and Mike sell?

No.  Not yet.

I got some advice from an old man selling a motorcycle once.  I saw the price and went to look at the bike which was in incredible shape for the price.  And I finally looked him in the eye and said..."I want to beat you up on price but I can't figure out where."  He laughed and said..."I'm selling this for my nephew.  And I told him he can either price the bike to sell or he can have a bike for sale."

He sold the bike that day.  And I have always remembered that when I'm selling great gear.  Know the value and set the price at fair value where I lose a little and the buyer wins.  I don't haggle.  The right person always comes along and hands you the money because they know they're stealing it.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1