BF IR Loaders - I'm tempted but ask myself why buy an IR loader?

Doug Steinschneider

I've collected some free bass cab impulse reponses from Dr Bonkers. I also have some that are supposed to be good for acoustic guitar. I've played with IR's in AmpliTube 5. I use Nembrini amp sims on a regular basis and like the product line. 

My IR use will be supplemental - mostly to improve the sound of amp sims while recording guitars and basses in DAW's. 

While reading reviews I see that users who have enormous collections of IR prize a good fast browsing system which apparently isn't one of the strengths of the Nembrini IR loader although they respond to comments about this that they will be addressing that.  They include an EL-34 power amp section and a six band EQ. I see people who demo it are using preamp VST's and effect pedal emulations instead of an amp sim.

Is anyone here using Nembrini's IR Loader?  If so, how do you use it? 

I have downloaded ChopTones IR Loader , STL Nadir, Melda MConvolution EZ and Lancaster Pulse

Edited by Doug Steinschneider
  • Like 1

For me, ToneX is the best solution for in the box playing. You can load custom IRs. You can use both amp and cab, no amp just cab, or just amp. Feels great in my hands.

ETA: The custom loading of cabinet IRs is a bit cumbersome in ToneX at the moment, if you are trying to load a bunch in. I suspect they will update to allow multiple IRs being added at once.

Edited by RSMcGuitar
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

For me, ToneX is the best solution for in the box playing. You can load custom IRs. You can use both amp and cab, no amp just cab, or just amp. Feels great in my hands.

ETA: The custom loading of cabinet IRs is a bit cumbersome in ToneX at the moment, if you are trying to load a bunch in. I suspect they will update to allow multiple IRs being added at once.

I'm a massive ToneX fan

Own two of the pedals, axe I/o, etc.

But the custom IR loading / preview is pretty awful.  Maybe even the worst system I've tried.

I find myself using another  loader to preview to figure out which one to selectively import into Tonex.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I'm a massive ToneX fan

Own two of the pedals, axe I/o, etc.

I love the AXE I/O Solo. It replaced one of my Behringer UMC202HD's (moved it over to keyboard duties) that I was very happy with but the AXE I/O helps my bass and guitar sound and play better. I use the Passive/Active switch depending on which bass I'm using. The Z-Tone knob is helpful when moving between a Strat and Les Paul.

• Like 1

Better buy >> aIR Impulse Rack on sale for $5 with code AA-BF-23 for $9.99
https://audioassault.mx/collections/plugins/products/air-impulse-rack

Features

• IR Mixer with Tweakable Mic Position
  • Serial/Parallel IR Processing
  • IR Export Function
  • Deconvolver
  • Unlimited Slots
  • FREE IR Library Included
  • Resizable GUI

Edit: updated post with discount code and updated price
Also here's a video to the previous version (not sure what's changed in latest but GUI appears to have more options)

Updated post: BF sale is over.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

Not a better buy (based  on price alone) but I picked this up last week.  It's insane.  One of the best features is the ability to organize the IRs I've amassed, tag them, modify and save, mix with other IRs graphically, tone match, leverage Kirchoff IQ bands, etc., blah, blah.  I have no regrets.  Just being able to browse and sample IRs with a click is so gratifying.  Its way more than I thought I would pay for an IR loader but it's so much more.  The stock IRs are really good, too.

https://www.threebodytech.com/en/products/cabinetron

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Marc Cormier said:

Not a better buy (based  on price alone) but I picked this up last week.  It's insane.  One of the best features is the ability to organize the IRs I've amassed, tag them, modify and save, mix with other IRs graphically, tone match, leverage Kirchoff IQ bands, etc., blah, blah.  I have no regrets.  Just being able to browse and sample IRs with a click is so gratifying.  Its way more than I thought I would pay for an IR loader but it's so much more.  The stock IRs are really good, too.

Looks cool but at $59 it's going to have to wait till my wallet recovers from BF.

• Doug Steinschneider changed the title to BF IR Loaders - I'm tempted but ask myself why buy an IR loader?
1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

Better buy >> aIR Impulse Rack on sale for $5 with code AA-BF-23
https://audioassault.mx/collections/plugins/products/air-impulse-rack

Features

• IR Mixer with Tweakable Mic Position
  • Serial/Parallel IR Processing
  • IR Export Function
  • Deconvolver
  • Unlimited Slots
  • FREE IR Library Included
  • Resizable GUI

This one probably aligns better with what I'm hoping to accomplish. The Amp and EQ sections of the Nembrini product are probably very good but I would probably use an amp sim instead. The Nembrini IR Loader looks more like a tool to create a very custom unique amp replacement more than just an IR tool

Yes, importing one single ir at a time is quite ridiculous in my opinion. It needs tending to yesterday. I have some other workflow gripes with tonex for sure, but it's also pretty good for the price. 

Edited by sd
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

I've been disappointed by many an IR loader.  Some there are sonic issue, some stability, etc....  

I copped this based on the mention here (and the aIR one), and I have been able to get some good sounds out of it, and it is packed with a nice wallop of features but....  in the list tab, once I have an IR loaded, is there anyway to bypass the IR on that channel?  Seems like clicking the icon in the upper left of each IR should do this, but it kills the whole channel.  I can disable it, which then means if its the only IR loaded, I have to enable one of the blank channels to hear audio, otherwise I have to bypass the plug in altogether.  Or I can unload the IR and just have to remember which one I loaded and reload it later if desired.  The reason I’d want to do this is to hear what’s being done on the channel without hearing the IR.  It would also be one mouse click to bypass for quick a/bing vs 2 mouse clicks at different locations.  Also when you solo and mute on the same audio channel- audio still plays (bug?).  Am I missing something here?  

I should also note that there is a 8.2 second limit on the IR’s it can load, so it really is designed for cabinet work.  

7 minutes ago, e-cue said:

I've been disappointed by many an IR loader.  Some there are sonic issue, some stability, etc....  

I copped this based on the mention here (and the aIR one), and I have been able to get some good sounds out of it, and it is packed with a nice wallop of features but....  in the list tab, once I have an IR loaded, is there anyway to bypass the IR on that channel?  Seems like clicking the icon in the upper left of each IR should do this, but it kills the whole channel.  I can disable it, which then means if its the only IR loaded, I have to enable one of the blank channels to hear audio, otherwise I have to bypass the plug in altogether.  Or I can unload the IR and just have to remember which one I loaded and reload it later if desired.  The reason I’d want to do this is to hear what’s being done on the channel without hearing the IR.  It would also be one mouse click to bypass for quick a/bing vs 2 mouse clicks at different locations.  Also when you solo and mute on the same audio channel- audio still plays (bug?).  Am I missing something here?  

I should also note that there is a 8.2 second limit on the IR’s it can load, so it really is designed for cabinet work.  

Am I missing something other than Cab, Mic, Acoustic, Reverb IRs?

Very rare to see even large space IR captures above 8seconds.  In my mind that means it support every type of IR other than the pretty esoteric.  

I love reverb but 8 seconds is a very long time and most going beyond that will be in the algorithm world not the IR world 

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Am I missing something other than Cab, Mic, Acoustic, Reverb IRs?

Very rare to see even large space IR captures above 8seconds.  In my mind that means it support every type of IR other than the pretty esoteric.  

I love reverb but 8 seconds is a very long time and most going beyond that will be in the algorithm world not the IR world 

You aren’t missing anything- agreed they are long.  But I have a lot of IR’s beyond 8 seconds.  In the Past to Future H8000 bank (20 IR’s total), half are over 8.2 seconds, for example.  Delays are another potential long one (in say, the URSA stuff for example).  And don’t get me started on the IR’s I captured when urban spelunking.  Hell- one of my fav IR’s ever, mostly for reverb throws at the end of songs, is the King’s Chamber in the Pyramid of Giza in Altiverb.  And that’s 13.2 seconds.  While I just load that in Alti on my rig, it would be great to install across several rooms at our facility without dealing with auth hoops to jump through.  

The work around is to re-convolve, or set the IR back into itself in a feedback loop, but most of the time the results end up sounding wack IME.