Having trouble wrapping your head around frequency masking? Watch this.

bitflipper

Yes, it's an infomercial for Gullfoss. But it includes relatable demonstrations of frequency masking that makes it worth a watch. 

During the month of November, Gullfoss is 40% off. Be aware, though, that this plugin uses Pace copy protection and requires an iLok account. For me, that means Gullfoss will never be part of my collection. Fortunately, I have other, non-iLok, processors that resolve frequency masking well enough.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

Yes, it's an infomercial for Gullfoss. But it includes relatable demonstrations of frequency masking that makes it worth a watch. 

During the month of November, Gullfoss is 40% off. Be aware, though, that this plugin uses Pace copy protection and requires an iLok account. For me, that means Gullfoss will never be part of my collection. Fortunately, I have other, non-iLok, processors that resolve frequency masking well enough.

I keep forgetting to work with Gullfoss

I usually use a dynamic EQ sidechained from the conflicting track. My go-to used to be Meldaproductions' MDynamicEQ before FabFilter added the dynamic option to Pro-Q. For even finer tracking, you can also sidechain MSpectralDynamics. I think iZotope's dynamic EQ can be sidechained as well, if you have the Advanced edition that supplies each module as a standalone plugin.

• Thanks 1

My favorite de-collision tool, Wavesfactory Trackspacer, is currently on sale for $39 at Plugin Boutique.

So easy to use and effective that it feels like cheating.

As for ScalerEQ, I haven't looked into it enough to understand what it has going for it beyond presets. Cakewalk's QuadCurve EQ includes a piano keyboard graphic as a visual aid for figuring out where you're emphasizing and de-emphasizing frequencies. All of the MeldaProduction EQ's include similar visual helpers.

So if I wanted to do some in key EQ'ing, it would be easy enough to start there. This assumes of course that one knows what the song's key looks like on the piano keyboard....

7 hours ago, paulo said:

now I'm reduced to taking advice from 12 yr olds

LOL!!!

His eyebrows were very wide!! As I was listening I couldn't stop thinking if he drew them on like that!!!

Anyway. I am like Bit, no iLock for me, so I won't be getting this. (I was wondering why I didn't have it already!!)

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Anyway. I am like Bit, no iLock for me, so I won't be getting this

I used to think the same (based on having many odd problems with it installed that amazingly enough went away as soon as it was uninstalled) but I was persuaded to try it again by someone here because something I wanted (can't remember who or what now) required it and TBH it hasn't been a problem for however many years that has been.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I have breaking news for @bitflipper and @Grem , iLoks are not the devil incarnate. I've run my iLok on a usb3 hub for years now with no problems.

FWIW I keep a spare iLok on hand and I pay the $30 per year insurance so that if my iLok goes bad, is broken, lost or stolen, I can send in my spare and all my licenses will be transferred to the new iLok with overnight shipping both ways.

• Like 1

For me, can't speak for bit, it's not about if it works well.

It's a stand I took many years ago. Has nothing to do paying for a device to hold a license I already bought (though there is something to be said about that too). Or any other thing people have against iLock.

Let's just say it has to do with customer service and leave it at that. Swore back then they would never get another penny from me. 

7 minutes ago, Grem said:

For me, can't speak for bit, it's not about if it works well.

It's a stand I took many years ago. Has nothing to do paying for a device to hold a license I already bought (though there is something to be said about that too). Or any other thing people have against iLock.

Let's just say it has to do with customer service and leave it at that. Swore back then they would never get another penny from me. 

I don't have the dongle and didn't pay anything. I can't speak about customer service because so far I've never needed to contact them. Hopefully that is something I won't have to find out the hard way. 

I do have a Steinberg dongle and having to pay for that was an unexpected  bitter pill at the time, so I know what you mean there.

The thing I find most off putting these days is that every plugin vendor wants to have their own "manager" installed even for a demo. I'm not doing that.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 8:14 PM, paulo said:

I don't have the dongle and didn't pay anything. I can't speak about customer service because so far I've never needed to contact them. Hopefully that is something I won't have to find out the hard way. 

I do have a Steinberg dongle and having to pay for that was an unexpected  bitter pill at the time, so I know what you mean there.

The thing I find most off putting these days is that every plugin vendor wants to have their own "manager" installed even for a demo. I'm not doing that.

+1 

Though at XLN they built a pretty awesome manager (hey...did I just type 'awesome manager'?)

It checks if plugins work....then if needed repairs install with 1 mouseclick.

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1