scoring facility in Cakewalk Next?

flange_59163

Question

On 11/5/2023 at 8:58 AM, flange_59163 said:

Ahhh! Thank you very much! No wonder I'm confused!

I've just had a look at Cakewalk by Bandlab (old sonar) - and unfortunately it's only Windows based. I'll see if the new Sonar will be available for Mac OS.

Meanwhile I'll continue playing with Cakewalk Next!

The OP was trying Next because they are using a Mac. I don’t think there’s any plan for Sonar to be cross platform. Probably the big reason the developed Next in the first place. 

"Byron Dickens
Perhaps you shouldn't be beta testing if you don't know what you're doing or what exactly it is you are beta testing."

"User 905133
Well, if you used the Staff View in your old version of Cakewalk/SONAR and that worked, why not go back to that instead of trying to use the beta version of software that has yet to be released (Cakewalk Next)?"

I'm not beta testing.

I do not have a PC any longer so won't be going back to an old version of Cakewalk.

I was trying to find a way to process the old Cakewalk files I have into something that will run on a Mac (referenced above by John Vere).  It seems there ain't a piece of software that will do that.

30 minutes ago, flange_59163 said:

"User 905133
Well, if you used the Staff View in your old version of Cakewalk/SONAR and that worked, why not go back to that instead of trying to use the beta version of software that has yet to be released (Cakewalk Next)?"

I'm not beta testing.

I do not have a PC any longer so won't be going back to an old version of Cakewalk.

I was trying to find a way to process the old Cakewalk files I have into something that will run on a Mac (referenced above by John Vere).  It seems there ain't a piece of software that will do that.

Thanks for clarifying what your goal is and why you were asking about a scoring facility in Cakewalk Next.  

36 minutes ago, flange_59163 said:
13 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Next is still in public beta so I don't know what else you'd call it

??

How about "Cakewalk Next"?

"Cakewalk Next" is currently in public beta testing and the latest version is currently 1.0.1.035-beta.

Bug reports, suggestions and discussions about Cakewalk Next should take place on dedicated Discord server.

Edited by HIBI
  • Great Idea 1

On 11/7/2023 at 11:23 AM, HIBI said:

"Cakewalk Next" is currently in public beta testing and the latest version is currently 1.0.1.035-beta.

Bug reports, suggestions and discussions about Cakewalk Next should take place on dedicated Discord server.

Thank you for this - I have had a look on the home page for this forum and also on the main Bandlab page. I cannot find a link to this "Discord" server nor any text about it. (I did find it eventually on the web - and did not see any reference there to "Cakewalk Next"!)

Can I suggest there is some information about it please? I'm sure there will be others who see "Cakewalk" or "Cakewalk Next" and not think they are completely separate items.

42 minutes ago, flange_59163 said:

I cannot find a link to this "Discord" server nor any text about it. (I did find it eventually on the web - and did not see any reference there to "Cakewalk Next"!)

Can I suggest there is some information about it please?

So you didn't see the Discord link to Cakewalk Next you were given by OutrageProductions in one of the first posts of this thread?

1 hour ago, flange_59163 said:

I missed that!

Cakewalk Next beta installer can only be downloaded from the Discord server.
It is a great mystery to me why you did not know about the Discord server.

Where did you download the installer from?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HIBI said:

Cakewalk Next beta installer can only be downloaded from the Discord server.
It is a great mystery to me why you did not know about the Discord server.

Where did you download the installer from?

I had that same reaction.  When I go to the Cakewalk Site, follow the links to Cakewalk Next, and click on the "Check Out The Public Beta" button, I get an invitation to the Cakewalk Next Discord Server.  So when the OP posted the notification (with the serial number), I just assumed the OP had followed these steps.

Maybe people are passing the software around or it has been released elsewhere?

I think it now makes sense why the OP was confused when initially referred to the Discord Server.

On 11/5/2023 at 5:02 AM, Canopus said:

Discussions about Next should be done on Discord, not on this forum.

But to answer your question, if you don’t find scoring in Next, it’s either because it hasn’t yet been implemented (remember, it’s a work in progress), or, more likely, that Next’s primary target group probably isn’t old-school musicians, able to read sheet music.

On 11/5/2023 at 11:51 AM, OutrageProductions said:

You are visiting the wrong forum.

You want go ask your questions HERE.

But I don't understand why it took so long to figure out the source of the confusion.

On 11/5/2023 at 8:22 AM, flange_59163 said:

"Discussions about Next should be done on Discord, not on this forum."

? Sorry? I don't understand. This is the Cakewalk forum, no? Plus I don't see any "Discord" selection on the menu?

Well, maybe now it's clear how to get access to the Cakewalk Next Discord Server.  

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

How 'd you guess! It's all about comprehension and learning disabilities because a lot of us creative people are ADHD myself included. I found out that many people only watch tutorials in fast motion. This one lady wrote me claiming that , gee, I had to actually watch your tutorial in real time because you don't bullst around like the others so I kept missing stuff. I'm also guilty of clicking to the 3 minute mark on some videos just to get to the lesson. 

Just now, Glenn Stanton said:

no, the other 20 just like it... where RTFM means "real time fun machine" and "i don't need to read directions" or "don't tell me what to do"....

My all time favorite is " I've used Sonar/Cakewalk since 1991 and I'm in IT. So I know exactly what I'm doing here" Seem in my experience being in IT doesn't help much when you use a DAW. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1