scoring facility in Cakewalk Next?

flange_59163

Question

Discussions about Next should be done on Discord, not on this forum.

But to answer your question, if you don’t find scoring in Next, it’s either because it hasn’t yet been implemented (remember, it’s a work in progress), or, more likely, that Next’s primary target group probably isn’t old-school musicians, able to read sheet music.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canopus said:

Discussions about Next should be done on Discord, not on this forum.

But to answer your question, if you don’t find scoring in Next, it’s either because it hasn’t yet been implemented (remember, it’s a work in progress), or, more likely, that Next’s primary target group probably isn’t old-school musicians, able to read sheet music.

Perhaps youare right, it hasn't been implemented yet. Anyone else know further?

As said Next is a completely new DAW aimed at electronic music production and probably doesn’t have a staff view. 
This forum is for Cakewalk. 
I would imagine there’s a help menu inside Next with links to information and a community group. Probably one on Facebook already. 

27 minutes ago, John Vere said:

As said Next is a completely new DAW aimed at electronic music production and probably doesn’t have a staff view. 
This forum is for Cakewalk. 
I would imagine there’s a help menu inside Next with links to information and a community group. Probably one on Facebook already. 

"As said Next is a completely new DAW ...
This forum is for Cakewalk. "

Now I am confused!

I downloaded a thing called "Cakewalk Next", linked to BandLab. () 

What you say suggests there are actually two separate things - "Cakewalk" and "Next". so the thing I have on my laptop is not  "Cakewalk Next", but one or other of those things?!? (See attached ...)

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 16.32.45.png

They are two completely different software programmes

Cakewalk by Bandlab is the currently free DAW that is an improved version of the old Sonar software - though without some of the instruments and effects that came with Sonar

Cakewalk Next is a new programme which is currently in public beta and which may not have a scoring facility. Discussion on Next is on a Discord page. This forum is for Cakewalk by Bandlab which is shortly to be replaced by the (paid for_ new Sonar

Hope this helps

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

They are two completely different software programmes

Cakewalk by Bandlab is the currently free DAW that is an improved version of the old Sonar software - though without some of the instruments and effects that came with Sonar

Cakewalk Next is a new programme which is currently in public beta and which may not have a scoring facility. Discussion on Next is on a Discord page. This forum is for Cakewalk by Bandlab which is shortly to be replaced by the (paid for_ new Sonar

Hope this helps

Ahhh! Thank you very much! No wonder I'm confused!

I've just had a look at Cakewalk by Bandlab (old sonar) - and unfortunately it's only Windows based. I'll see if the new Sonar will be available for Mac OS.

Meanwhile I'll continue playing with Cakewalk Next!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Happy to clarify

I think it is highly unlikely that Sonar will become available for Mac as it would involve a huge amount of work - never say never though!  Next has been written from initiation as a cross platform programme

Enjoy Next - I haven't looked at it yet - got my hands full still learning Cakewalk by Bandlab! I'd be more likely to go across to Sonar if it is cheap enough or stay on CbB until it breaks through a Windows update. 

@JoeGBradford  Just so you are aware as there still seems confusion over this. Cakewalk will not die because of a windows update. It will stop working when Bandlab stops re activation. 

Sonar we have been told will be available at different price points just like before. Example I had Home Studio which I got on sale for under $40. For sure no guarantee this will be the case, but why not? 
Nobody knows how much longer Cakewalk will stay functional. All the developers have said is they will give people enough time to transition once Sonar becomes available.  

Funny how so many people are chomping at the bit to get Sonar. The developers seem to be dragging their feet but the longer the better I say. It will be probably baked and this also means we still have a really good DAW for the time being.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Are you supposed to be posting the serial number of an evaluation copy for the whole world to see?

It really doesn’t matter it’s free. I’m sure once Sonar and Next are bought you will have a proper serial number. But good point as I’m in the habit of always blacking  or cropping that out. I have to be careful when making screen shots or capture that personal items are cropped out. 
I just love the YouTube videos where the dudes desktop shows and you can spot all sorts of junk that gives you an insight on the person’s habits and love life.  

4 hours ago, flange_59163 said:

?? Eh?

I presume, since you are surprised, that this is Important?

13 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

Hell, people post their phone numbers and email addresses!

@flange_59163 As Byron Dickens says, some people post their phone numbers and email addresses. What is important not to share with the world differs from person to person.  For example, some people will publicly post personalized codes for discounts on software.  Others will post discount codes that can be used by anyone.  Some people will announce that they have individual codes (or redemption keys) for sale, to give away, or to barter and ask for interested people to contact them privately. 

I was just surprised because I generally don't see people posting things like serial numbers for licensed software.

• Like 2

dear pay-for-software-company admin,

please reset my password and send to my new email: joe.hakker@darkweb.net  as i'm desperate to order new software - here's my licence # to prove i'm authentic. this way i can get to my credit card and other personal information like shipping address in order to buy lots of your great products for my, erm, friends.

best regards and love,

joe

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2023 at 4:34 AM, flange_59163 said:

My old version of Cakewalk had a scoring facility. I can't find it in the new (Cakewalk Next) version. Am I just not seeing it? Is there a simple click to gain access?

28 minutes ago, flange_59163 said:

Perhaps it's just easier if I delete the program and get back to something that works.

Well, if you used the Staff View in your old version of Cakewalk/SONAR and that worked, why not go back to that instead of trying to use the beta version of software that has yet to be released (Cakewalk Next)?