(not a deal) Any great Soothe 2 alternatives for budget conscience individual?

El Diablo

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

That looks promising, because the videos show it actually reducing the frequencies instead of broadly covers all bands within those frequencies.

I'll have to test it out.

I have it and use it all the time.  It's great for side chaining and creating space in crowded frequency ranges.

4 minutes ago, LittleStudios said:

I have it and use it all the time.  It's great for side chaining and creating space in crowded frequency ranges.

I'm curious on how well it works vs how much CPU it uses.

iZotope tends to use a ton of CPU vs other plugins that do what it does.

P.S. I gave an example.  I know we are talking about TB ProAudio.

Edited by El Diablo

29 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I saw videos of trackspacer, but it's like a dynamic EQ rather than a surgical way to carve out frequencies based on what I saw.

Soothe 2 looks like it's surgical on carving out specific bands of frequencies used for the voice instead of grabbing a broaden range of bands like most dynamic EQs.

What was posted in your video is exactly what TrackSpacer does by default.   The gent in the video you posted is using Soothe for something I have never used it for.   Generally see people use Soothe to reduce harshness.    TrackSpace is not like traditional dynamic EQ is the sense of static points like you would see in Ozone, Fabfilter, etc...It is does more than that because  Trackspacer creates space in a mix by carving a realtime inverse EQ curve of your instrumental track after analysing the sidechain signal.     Both have demo evals so why not try them.   If you are looking to make space for vocals, Trackspacer is awesome.

Regards

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markno999 said:

What was posted in your video is exactly what TrackSpacer does by default.   The gent in the video you posted is using Soothe for something I have never used it for.   Generally see people use Soothe to reduce harshness.    TrackSpace is not like traditional dynamic EQ is the sense of static points like you would see in Ozone, Fabfilter, etc...It is does more than that because  Trackspacer creates space in a mix by carving a realtime inverse EQ curve of your instrumental track after analysing the sidechain signal.     Both have demo evals so why not try them.   If you are looking to make space for vocals, Trackspacer is awesome.

Regards

In the videos for TrackSpacer, I see the vocal lines in blue on top, but the white line below that "carves out space" is a curved line that seems to represent a broad range of frequencies like a dynamic EQ, instead of "carving the jagged lines of the vocal", it's just cutting a half circle... that's what I'm seeing in the videos.

It's G.U.I. says one thing and people say the other.

Technically it is a 32 band dynamic EQ but nothing like a traditional dynamic EQ.   Brain-dead simple to use.    If using for vocals use the hi and low pass to zone in on exact area you need open and leave the low end and hi end where vocals don't live, alone.   Check out this vid.   He explains the use pretty well.

• Like 1

What the OP video is showing is basically a technique I would describe as spectral sidechaining, just the sidechain signal is based on soothe's resonances, and that's it. IMO plugins like the Trackspacer or Smooth Operator would be the cheap alternatives, Gulffoss is too expensive for a cheap alternative 😆

EDIT:  yep, most of these suppressors could serve as a cheaper alternative

17 hours ago, satya said:
Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 3:12 PM, dumbquestions said:

Budget friendly alternatives? Unsure but i guess before soothe people were just automating bell curve eq cuts. Soothe was on sale last BF for $140 i think?

Wide band ducking by sidechaining any hardware compressor, I believe that's how they did it in studios for decades. Good engineer is all it takes :P 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, chris.r said:

What the OP video is showing is basically a technique I would describe as spectral sidechaining, just the sidechain signal is based on soothe's resonances, and that's it. IMO plugins like the Trackspacer or Smooth Operator would be the cheap alternatives, Gulffoss is too expensive for a cheap alternative 😆

EDIT:  yep, most of these suppressors could serve as a cheaper alternative

Could you do the same thing with Smooth Operator from that video as Soothe 2?  (I think Smooth Operator is on sale right now for $39 when I looked yesterday)

11 hours ago, chris.r said:

Budget friendly alternatives? Unsure but i guess before soothe people were just automating bell curve eq cuts. Soothe was on sale last BF for $140 i think?

Any idea when that may happen again? The sale

Edited by El Diablo

It is a faster process, but an EQ with dynamics (eg. Pro Q 3) works just fine. Harshness & resonant frequencies are not difficult to tame.  Been done for a 100 years without automated wizardry. But ya, if you have $200 lying around, it does save time. But relying on it, without understanding how to do it without the plugin is a definite handicap in the "learn how to mix" long run.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, arnoldoo said:

I have soothe and dseq.

DSEQ can def do soothe plus much more options and updates
I am not saying one is better than the other one. Thats not the point.

Try DESQ

It says it has A.I. functions.  Does it require to be online to use this plugin?

50 minutes ago, arnoldoo said:

I have soothe and dseq.

DSEQ can def do soothe plus much more options and updates
I am not saying one is better than the other one. Thats not the point.

Try DESQ

Have you seen the video I first posted?

Can you see if DSEQ can do that?

I'm trying to duck only the frequencies used for the Vocal thru the music and I do not want to use a bell curve EQ to do it.

19 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Any idea when that may happen again? The sale

I believe that last year it ran from November 24-28th. Oeksound emailed everyone in advance with details about the sale before it happened, if you were subscribed to their newsletter. I was subscribed, but unsubscribed after buying soothe since I like a clear inbox; don’t need anything else from them really

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Patrick Derbidge said:

It depends on what you're trying to do, but if it's mainly "harshness" you're trying to remove, then Yes there are alternatives to Soothe 2. This is the one I invested in, and Baphometrix is someone I've learned a lot from. It's also way cheaper than soothe 2

Actually, I thought that as a after thought.  I wouldn't been buying it for the harshness removal.  Read on..

I want to do the trick mentioned in the video I first posted.

The trick is using vocal spectrum for ducking instead of using a dynamic EQ bell curve.  Can another plugin do that?

Edited by El Diablo

3 minutes ago, Decay KX said:

Both MSpectralDynamics and DSEQ 3 can sidechain your vocal track and duck accordingly.

DSEQ had been recommended several times, so it's on my check list for sure.  I'll be home tomorrow to check it out.  I'm just trying to gather 2 or 3 plugins to try out before buying.