(not a deal) Any great Soothe 2 alternatives for budget conscience individual?

El Diablo

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

The trick is using vocal spectrum for ducking instead of using a dynamic EQ bell curve.  Can another plugin do that?

^^ This is what you want to do.

You don't need a specialized plugin like Soothe to do it. Just any EQ that has a "match" function and sidechain - and there are plenty on the market. The great thing about the above video's technique is that, once you have the EQ signature, you can apply it to reverb, eq, delay, distortion, compression...anything. Much more useful. 

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 1:06 PM, El Diablo said:

In the videos for TrackSpacer, I see the vocal lines in blue on top, but the white line below that "carves out space" is a curved line that seems to represent a broad range of frequencies like a dynamic EQ, instead of "carving the jagged lines of the vocal", it's just cutting a half circle... that's what I'm seeing in the videos.

It's G.U.I. says one thing and people say the other.

The amount knob in trackspacer will determine how granular and how much is carved out, which works pretty well.  Also, as mentioned, using match eq, etc... works well, but sometimes it's just easier to grab something like trackspacer and adjust a few knobs, and you're done. If it isn't working on that particular track, then you can do it the hard way. Nothing is going to be perfect, but I do think soothe would not be the first choice for this type of task.

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Actually, I thought that as a after thought.  I wouldn't been buying it for the harshness removal.  Read on..

I want to do the trick mentioned in the video I first posted.

The trick is using vocal spectrum for ducking instead of using a dynamic EQ bell curve.  Can another plugin do that?

Ozone 11 advanced maybe? I haven't tried it with Ozone yet, but the spectral features look excellent, plus it'll do way more than just that.

2 hours ago, Carl Ewing said:

Just any EQ that has a "match" function and sidechain - and there are plenty on the market.

This will help for sure, but I think the OP is looking for something that adjusts real-time to the actual content of the track (at that instant). I use MSpectralDynamics as well, but it isn't cheaper (unless it hits a 50% off sale, then it would be).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mettelus said:

This will help for sure, but I think the OP is looking for something that adjusts real-time to the actual content of the track (at that instant). I use MSpectralDynamics as well, but it isn't cheaper (unless it hits a 50% off sale, then it would be).

Yes, real-time corrections.

It does seem that these special plugins want more money for this Task.

I've been told DSEG 3 by more than two people, so I want to see someone else do what I'm saying before I actually try it :P...

I really hate installing stuff I don't have a 90% sure I'm going to buy.  I thought "Mastering the mix" FUSER was going to be worth it, finding out it crashes my Reaper really killed me buying it.  Although, Cakewalk I didn't try.  I use both Cakewalk and Reaper for different tasks.

Edited by El Diablo

Interesting topic. I have several plugins that should be able to do this. (Mspectraldynamics, Mautodynamiceq,  TDR Nova, Toneboosters EQ4, to name a few.) I haven’t actually attempted to use this technique but I wonder if baby audio smooth operator would be the budget choice at $39.99?https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/7565-Smooth-Operator?currency=USD&force_country=US&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-pyqBhDmARIsAKd9XINFWkyrlaU7tvvcHiV3JDnMWSoj08OknAAhz_gM-U0-9SrBS98PmDgaAhiQEALw_wcB

Edited by Clint Martin
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Clint Martin said:

Interesting topic. I have several plugins that should be able to do this. (Mspectraldynamics, Mautodynamiceq,  TDR Nova, Toneboosters EQ4, to name a few.) I haven’t actually attempted to use this technique but I wonder if baby audio smooth operator would be the budget choice at $39.99?https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/7565-Smooth-Operator?currency=USD&force_country=US&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-pyqBhDmARIsAKd9XINFWkyrlaU7tvvcHiV3JDnMWSoj08OknAAhz_gM-U0-9SrBS98PmDgaAhiQEALw_wcB

From PluginBoutique's website:

"BABY Audio's spectral detection algorithm adapts to your audio 44,100 times per second and automatically eliminates fatigued frequencies. "

Does that mean it only works in 44.1khz??  Cause I use 96khz for all my recordings.

From Smooth Operator website:

"Use Smooth Operator as an intelligent ducker:
If you engage “Side Chain” mode, you can duck your signal with the frequency content of another track in your mix. (Example: Ducking your bass with your kick as the side chain input). This feature is like a normal sidechain ducker – except it doesn’t just duck the volume of a track, instead it ducks exactly the frequency areas occupied by the sidechain track – in realtime. This helps you achieve mixes with less frequency clash between different elements."

It maybe might be what I want for the sale price, but with a limit of 44.1khz, may not be worth it!

During my search...

I own Sonar Producer 8.5.3, Cakewalk by Bandlab, and Reaper.

Reaper has a stock plugin that does the same thing I think... called ReaFIR (see video).

Although, I didn't see them use side chain feature in the video, I'm going to try this plugin first because I own it... And I'll create a video if I succeed at doing what I want it to do.  Otherwise, I'll continue searching.

I recommend you start at 4:00 for ReaFIR:

I'm curious if it will spectral ducking like the others everyone has recommended?

Like I said, I'll going to test this first because I own it.  I'll keep y'all informed on results.

Edited by El Diablo
Spelling, missing words

Baby Audio's installation file does not have a Microsoft certification.  Microsoft gives a warning saying it doesn't recognize the file.  So, Baby Audio product is off the table.

On to TB Audio Pro DESQ 3.... hope it has a Microsoft certification.

TB Audio Pro DSEQ 3 doesn't have a Windows Certification either...

Microsoft Smartscreen hates both TB Audio Pro and Baby Audio's installation file.

So ...I might have to contact them to ask them about that.. or shell out more money for a higher expensive product for my high standards on safety.

BabyAudio.JPG.7dc332295d6745720917bf0c3c5e060a.JPG

Edited by El Diablo

I've downloaded a demo of Soothe 2...

Kaspersky verifies this one to be legit:

soothe2.JPG.335fba80a3a4271797095235324c6290.JPG

The other two plugins didn't have the "number of users" and other information that Kaspersky File Advisor gives me.

I can't seem to screenshot the Microsoft verification screen, but Soothe 2 has one!

You could go for MSpectralDynamics, together with the 50% off sale, the $10 email subscription credit, the $30 guitar sound credit (don't know when this'll end), and the 25% referral code (first time purchaser only), it should be around the half-off smooth operator ($39). 

Don't think Melda has issue with Microsoft cert or smartscreen currently.

1 hour ago, Decay KX said:

You could go for MSpectralDynamics, together with the 50% off sale, the $10 email subscription credit, the $30 guitar sound credit (don't know when this'll end), and the 25% referral code (first time purchaser only), it should be around the half-off smooth operator ($39). 

Don't think Melda has issue with Microsoft cert or smartscreen currently.

Right, Melda is on my computer already.  I do have a couple of their paid products, but I've yet to incorporate them into any song.

Melda plugins tend to have a complex interface as reason I haven't used the ones I've bought.  What makes them complex is how similar they are to each other.  I don't know which plugin I'm using unless I read the title of the plugin on top.  They really need to make each interface different so you KNOW which of their plugins your using!  I hate how similar looking they all are created.  Is there a way to create themes for their plugins so we can make them look different?

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

...I hate how similar looking they all are created.  Is there a way to create themes for their plugins so we can make them look different?

I mean they all share the same default theme/style, and in edit mode looks similar, but the default since V15 or 16 when opening for example MSpectalDynamics is list of devices with skin, not the nicest but workable. From a quick look different plugin can set different style in Settings.

I've done a little testing of Soothe 2, and it doesn't seem to be able to do the Baby Audio trick with the Reverb ducking OR I'm not doing it correctly... 

1) Soothe 2 sits after Hyperspace (my Reverb and delay).

2) I side chain my clean vocal to Soothe 2 so it can duck the Reverb out of the way.

3) I send my vocal to the Hyperspace & Soothe 2 track.

I just can't seem to find the correct mix of settings that would make any difference in the sound vs the trick for Baby Audio Smooth Operator.

Tomorrow I'll try ducking vocal to music.

I'm starting to think Soothe 2 isn't as cracked up to be what everyone credits it to be.

If TrackSpacer has a Windows Certification and Kaspersky says it's good, then I'll try it out.

As far as Melda, I'll wait up to a week for the price drop before trying it out.  No promises.  Right now, Melda is higher priced than Soothe 2, but Soothe 2 isn't showing the colors everyone is giving it.

Now, if the plugins from Baby Audio or TB Audio Pro didn't have an installer, and just was a plugin like Hornet Plugins, I might try it.  Since it requires to be "installed" and has no windows certification... Then I don't do that.

Edited by El Diablo
I don't understand why swipe thinks if = of

On 11/4/2023 at 11:36 PM, Carl Ewing said:

^^ This is what you want to do.

You don't need a specialized plugin like Soothe to do it. Just any EQ that has a "match" function and sidechain - and there are plenty on the market. The great thing about the above video's technique is that, once you have the EQ signature, you can apply it to reverb, eq, delay, distortion, compression...anything. Much more useful. 

At $169.00 FabFilter Pro-Q 3 is starting to sound like a better option than Soothe 2.  But then... does it have real time changes?

Edited by El Diablo