(not a deal) Looking for Sound library or plugins for western genre [NOT COUNTRY].

El Diablo

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Wow!  You've scored me two great instruments :)

That awesome Honky tonk harmonica!  Thank you so much for showing that great find!

That banjo, will have to add that too!

Great to hear! Happy to help, if you end up getting that harmonica please let us know how it goes, the audio demos sounded pretty good to me for a instrument I don’t see sampled too often 

I work a lot in americana and country. i would say IKM SampleTank is probably the most bang for your buck. It pretty much has all that you would need. Though some of those Americana records also used quite a bit of synths.  Lots of prophets, DX-7 and so on. Whatever was in those studios at the times had around. Does not mean they had an electronic records feel. It's all about how you make them sound. Syntronik has lots of those prophet like samples.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

See this thread is a great example of a bunch of us helping someone out and there I spend a bunch of energy trying to be helpful to others in another thread, and some (this space intentionally left blank) makes an attack on me. Guys, I'm a mostly kind person,  but as I get older,  my tolerance for people who try bully others or who are just proud of behaving like jerks is getting smaller.  The older I get, the faster I am to shut that cr@p down. 

I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else.  I really do appreciate advice and my words I thought I looked over twice before hitting submit, but If I did offend anyone, please let me know how I can adjust myself as my social abilities isn't the greatest.

45 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else.  I really do appreciate advice and my words I thought I looked over twice before hitting submit, but If I did offend anyone, please let me know how I can adjust myself as my social abilities isn't the greatest.

Oh my gosh, no. I was referring to another thread where some guy was trolling me. Not you. You're good. I was saying how cool it is how everyone was coming together to help you out, contrasting how good that is with how crappy it is when someone is engaging in mean-spirited, toxic and bullying behavior.  The troll was bumming me out. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

I was thinking about a free trumpet library that I always see promoted on Facebook that I downloaded several months ago and Fleer just posted it. You should download this. It's for KONTAKT full, which I think you have. You know, what's your budget range, so we can try to stay in your budget? 

https://musicalsampling.com/trumpet-freebie/

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Don't get Western mixed up with Country.  It happens allot!

You know, church bell, piano, trumpet, horse, whistling, harmonica, cow bell, ticking clock, whip, banjo, gravel being smashed, fist hitting wall, etc.

I did a Morricone-ish piece once, before the Fluffy Audio Spaghetti Western library came out. So I just had to cobble together sounds from everything I had. (Apologies to those of you who have seen me post this many times before.) 

I used tubular bells for church bells, because that let me tune them with the music.  There are a few whistling libraries out there--I think I used something from one of ProjectSam's Swing (I got my harmonica there too)  I used vocal sounds from Red Room Audios freebie "Snaps Claps slaps stomps and shouts" and a wood block from NI percussion for that old faithful "horse hoof" sound.    For my gun shot and  whip, I just used sound FX.  It's very easy to find all those sounds at sites like freesound.org.  I used choirs from many places, but also a solo vocal from Organic Samples' Solo Opera.  I also used a Native American flute from Ethno World.  There are a lot of NI Session Guitarists and  Indiginus libraries (including The Resonator).  I threw everything at this.  😃

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I did a Morricone-ish piece once, before the Fluffy Audio Spaghetti Western library came out. So I just had to cobble together sounds from everything I had. (Apologies to those of you who have seen me post this many times before.) 

I used tubular bells for church bells, because that let me tune them with the music.  There are a few whistling libraries out there--I think I used something from one of ProjectSam's Swing (I got my harmonica there too)  I used vocal sounds from Red Room Audios freebie "Snaps Claps slaps stomps and shouts" and a wood block from NI percussion for that old faithful "horse hoof" sound.    For my gun shot and  whip, I just used sound FX.  It's very easy to find all those sounds at sites like freesound.org.  I used choirs from many places, but also a solo vocal from Organic Samples' Solo Opera.  I also used a Native American flute from Ethno World.  There are a lot of NI Session Guitarists and  Indiginus libraries (including The Resonator).  I threw everything at this.  😃

I have that Red Room Audio Snaps, Claps and Stomps library too and realy like it and can recommend it. But I was using it in a recent production and discovered that when using the stomps for quarter notes for 8 bars that it varies when the stomps start (the attack) so much that it sounds too off to use it that way. It's a shame because it sounds so good. I think it's on my list of recommend KONTAKT freebies because it is, otherwise a really great and fun free library. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

@El Diablo Do you want to share the story behind what got you into this genre, now that it seems a bunch of us are interested? In my college student son's case, I bought him Red Dead Redemption--  actually upon the recommendation of a sample developer friend's wife. And my son loved it and suddenly he was totally into Scott Joplin and ragtime and other Western music. What got you into it? 

Some of my older friends watched a lot of westerns when I visited them, I used to play Fistful of Frags (steam PC game), and I've watched Tom Brier and his ragtime videos 

^^ even though that isn't Western, it's ragtime.

Overall, I'm always searching for me ways to play music.  Since I'm not smart enough to create a new genre, I'll start making new music for genres long lost.  Western music seems to have faded into the distant background around my area... Time to bring it back 🤩

• Like 1

There are a number of fiddle libraries for KONTAKT that you might want to check out. Unfortunately,  I can't provide any first hand recommendations on any of them because I don't own any of them. Maybe someone else here who owns obe or more of this can chime in with their opinion: 

- Boulder Sounds has a fiddle that sounds decent in demos. I used to buy their libraries in the 00s. Not sure what they're up to these days and if they can compete with the best. But this library sounds good in demos.  

- Red Room has a bluegrass fiddle. It sounds pretty good in demos. I only have their freebie claps and Stomps library,  but it's very nice. 

- Indiginus The Fiddl. It's a smaller library and I think is $69 or $89 USD. They get a lot of praise and the developer is a stand up guy, but their libraries aren't as sophisticated in terms of articulations as the top tier developers like Orange Tree Samples or Embertone. 

- 8Dio has a fiddle, regularly priced at $29 USD. So it's relatively cheap.  It's part of their Misfit series that someone else recommended you look into earlier in the thread. I'm not sure how good it is, but at that price it's probably worth a look. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

Did you mean Indiginus The Fiddle? It's a very good fiddle. The Boulder fiddle is also excellent. There's also Embertone's Friedlander which can be a little less formal than the Joshua Bell; not an outright fiddle but still usable for this format.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jerrydf said:

Did you mean Indiginus The Fiddle? It's a very good fiddle. The Boulder fiddle is also excellent. There's also Embertone's Friedlander which can be a little less formal than the Joshua Bell; not an outright fiddle but still usable for this format.

Yep. Thanks! I just couldn't spell it. 

I just want to make it clear that "church bell, piano, trumpet, horse, whistling, harmonica, cow bell, ticking clock, whip, banjo, gravel being smashed, fist hitting wall, etc" is not music for westerns.   More specifically, it's music that Ennio Morricone invented for Sergio Leone's "Dollars" westerns and other "Spaghetti Westerns."   Then thousands of composers knocked off Morricone's style and instrumentation.   

Before this, to my memory, movies set in the old west had traditional Hollywood orchestral music:

Morricone did music in other styles too, like in "Once Upon a Time in the West,"

This soundtrack was also extremely influential in Hollywood.  I hear traces of it in Jerry Fielding's music for "The Wild Bunch."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

So, Indiginus is a good brand name / company?

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:40 PM, PavlovsCat said:

There are a number of fiddle libraries for KONTAKT that you might want to check out. Unfortunately,  I can't provide any first hand recommendations on any of them because I don't own any of them. Maybe someone else here who owns obe or more of this can chime in with their opinion: 

- Boulder Sounds has a fiddle that sounds decent in demos. I used to buy their libraries in the 00s. Not sure what they're up to these days and if they can compete with the best. But this library sounds good in demos.  

- Red Room has a bluegrass fiddle. It sounds pretty good in demos. I only have their freebie claps and Stomps library,  but it's very nice. 

- Indiginus The Fiddl. It's a smaller library and I think is $69 or $89 USD. They get a lot of praise and the developer is a stand up guy, but their libraries aren't as sophisticated in terms of articulations as the top tier developers like Orange Tree Samples or Embertone. 

- 8Dio has a fiddle, regularly priced at $29 USD. So it's relatively cheap.  It's part of their Misfit series that someone else recommended you look into earlier in the thread. I'm not sure how good it is, but at that price it's probably worth a look. 

Red Room Audio isn't free anymore... $5.00

https://redroomaudio.com/product/snaps-claps-slaps-stomps-shouts/

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Red Room Audio isn't free anymore... $5.00

https://redroomaudio.com/product/snaps-claps-slaps-stomps-shouts/

Those monsters! ;)

I kid, I kid. I actually just checked.  That amount is just a suggested donation.  You can change it to zero and get it free. I think you'll really like it. But the samples aren't dry. The stomps have a ton of reverb on them, which may or may not be to your liking. But I  love this little freebie (now donationware). 

Edited by PavlovsCat

7 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Those monsters! ;)

I kid, I kid. I actually just checked.  That amount is just a suggested donation.  You can change it to zero and get it free. I think you'll really like it. But the samples aren't dry. The stomps have a ton of reverb on them, which may or may not be to your liking. But I  love this little freebie (now donationware). 

The main thing I hate, is having to download another software installer... :(

I don't know of any other libraries that uses https://pulsedownloader.com/ for downloading.

Edited by El Diablo

22 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

The main thing I hate, is having to download another software installer... :(

I don't know of any other libraries that uses https://pulsedownloader.com/ for downloading.

I use it for a bunch of libraries. probably around two dozen or so, and find that it's decent. I like having a way to easily manage a lot of different libraries I own and re-download stuff if I need to (which can be a time-consuming hassle with small devs --as you sometimes need to contact them and I've had at least one developer tell me that if I ever need to re-download one of his libraries again -- I did that once after a crash -- that he will be charging me; I stopped buying from him, FTR). It makes all of that easy.

Edited by PavlovsCat