IK Multimedia launches Pianoverse

satya

On 9/28/2023 at 8:22 AM, Paul Young said:

I wish developers would move away from bigger is better unless it's something like a bag of Doritos.   IK seems to do well at modeling and I thought this would be the direction instead of weighing in 20GB each.

I hope sound developers come up with a compressed format to reduce file size. 

I’d expect the raw audio to be compressed, like with SampleTank.  I don’t fault them for a big sample set.  That’s be expected for a certain level of quality (and number of microphones).

BFD Drums allows you to choose the number of layers you want to install, giving you full, half, or a quarter size installation of the samples.  That would be a nice option.

16 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Yes, a previous version had a false positive (submitted and verified as a non-threat) and the new one shouldn't trigger anything at all.  What a scandal!

I'm glad you find it amusing ! Unfortunately what you say is not correct.

The previous version (v1.07) still shows a virus and HAS NOT been verified as a non-threat.

The new version (v1.08) also gets flagged by Virustotal as a virus - the file 'availability.exe' is flagged by 12 different scanners as infected so it's not just a 'rogue' false positive

There was a thread on the IKM forums with other users reporting the issue - that thread has been quietly deleted.

What a scandal!

Edited by simon

1 hour ago, simon said:

I'm glad you find it amusing ! Unfortunately what you say is not correct.

The previous version (v1.07) still shows a virus and HAS NOT been verified as a non-threat.

The new version (v1.08) also gets flagged by Virustotal as a virus - the file 'availability.exe' is flagged by 12 different scanners as infected so it's not just a 'rogue' false positive

There was a thread on the IKM forums with other users reporting the issue - that thread has been quietly deleted.

What a scandal!

No update or release by IKM without drama of some sort. I've stopped giving them my money for several reasons, this being one of them. Modo Bass 1 and Mixbox are still in use, but I will keep it this way and ignore things that may come or not. Other vendors are getting their act together, so I better look there. 

• Like 1

WOW, talk about cutting your nose of to spite your face, you are missing out on some truly great plugins, at least one, if you are a guitar player, has no equal, and those reverbs and Tapes, and . . . each to there own I guess.

12 positives you say? what about the 50 or so negatives?

shutterstock_785406115-scaled.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ALC said:

I’d expect the raw audio to be compressed, like with SampleTank.  I don’t fault them for a big sample set.  That’s be expected for a certain level of quality (and number of microphones).

BFD Drums allows you to choose the number of layers you want to install, giving you full, half, or a quarter size installation of the samples.  That would be a nice option.

That is only appealing to end users and mixing/mastering engineers.  The average person doesn't even own a stereo system anymore.   A lower nitrate mp3 at 128 or lower will have poor quality cranked on a stereo system.

The most impressive library is the BBC Discover at 380mb and sounds excellent.

Some of the favorite pianos by end users are the sample modeled oness.  That also applies to the SWAM products. Modo Bass is very good and doesn't use up space. IK just might be great at sample modeling.  

7 hours ago, ralfrobert said:

No update or release by IKM without drama of some sort. I've stopped giving them my money for several reasons, this being one of them. Modo Bass 1 and Mixbox are still in use, but I will keep it this way and ignore things that may come or not. Other vendors are getting their act together, so I better look there. 

Exceptions are NI and Izotope.  Since being taken over by one of those large company clusterfraks things are not better.  Eventually that stink will work its way into the software.  They are already becoming the next Magix - more frequent paid upgrades with little value attached.

4 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Exceptions are NI and Izotope.  Since being taken over by one of those large company clusterfraks things are not better.  Eventually that stink will work its way into the software.  They are already becoming the next Magix - more frequent paid upgrades with little value attached.

But Komplete is some sort of software baseline for me covering many bases. And I got the iZotope update for 50 bucks, so no reason for me to cry. 

1 minute ago, ralfrobert said:

But Komplete is some sort of software baseline for me covering many bases. And I got the iZotope update for 50 bucks, so no reason for me to cry. 

The issue is not the products but everything outside of the that.  What Komplete does best is cover drive space.  Let me know when someone uses 25% of it. I have licenses dating back to it's inception.

As for Izotope it will be integrated into Native Asshat.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

The issue is not the products but everything outside of the that.  What Komplete does best is cover drive space.  Let me know when someone uses 25% of it. I have licenses dating back to it's inception.

As for Izotope it will be integrated into Native Asshat.  

Just saying: NI and iZotope software isn't causing any direct problems, it helps me finish the job. Investment time for me five years, then replace if necessary. This has worked since 2019, with emphasis on second hand purchases and cheap updates, reselling and optimizing things on my mobile gear. 25% usage may be just right. But this is another subject. 

So again: No reason to be upset. A long term option without the two also exists. 

IK on the other hand...

On 9/29/2023 at 6:32 PM, PavlovsCat said:

You made my day, Simeon! I'm so glad that you received that in the intended spirit. Like everyone else here -- and you already know this -- I have a blast watching your videos. I can't play like you, but I had a mother and two siblings who could (the reason I started playing drums!) and it brings back fond musical memories to see you just play whatever you feel inspired to play. That kind of joy -- really the joy of a child -- is what, IMO, makes your videos fun to watch. Your videos reflect that love for music that we share. To me, that's the strength of your brand that can't be easily duplicated.  Seriously. I see you as kind of like the Bob Ross of the sample library influencer world. Yes, you're not teaching people how to play, but the very inspired joy you get when playing is one of those pure things in life, and there's an innocence and sweetness about it that I love. 

Thanks, and have a great day! 

Just posted the edited feature from the live stream, indexed and hopefully more FTC friendly ;^)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Just posted the edited feature from the live stream, indexed and hopefully more FTC friendly ;^)

Awesome!

Unrelated to the disclosure stuff, but @Simeon Amburgey, do you have an acoustic piano at your house? I It's amazing to have access to amazing sounds from sample libraries,  but there's still a magic to playing an acoustic piano -- the feel and sound of the instrument-- that playing a MIDI controller and sample libraries can never compare with.  Of course,  it's the same for every other acoustic instrument as well.. 

Edited by PavlovsCat