Dust ?

rfssongs

This is news to me....

After having lots of computer issues (like routine freezing) I opened it up dust sprayed checked a few connections, reseated the memory and the machine works again. So I started to wonder, does dust collect electricity ? So I googled it and yeah sometimes it does. It's a ten year old machine that I used to use for Cakewalk, now just for internet, but the thing still works pretty well. Just a thought for those having odd issues. Computer issues that is.

• 2 weeks later...

Dust collects on everything, especially electronics.  I've seen huge dust bunnies inside computers so it's good to check regularly.

Desktops can be easily cleaned inside with canned air.  Laptops are more susceptible to dust and should be checked & cleaned more often.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:37 AM, rfssongs said:

checked a few connections, reseated the memory

The oxidation layer that forms on electronic connections is typically very thin, but it can cause issues over time even for things that are permanently connected. That layer tends to be so thin that simply reseating/reconnecting it will usually wear enough off enough to re-establish a good connection. Connector cleaners like DeOxit are also something to consider for cleaning those (whenever you happen to open them), as well as for things that are important, but not always seated (XLR connectors, wall outlets, and the like). Those oxidize quicker because they are open/exposed more often, but those are also worn down each time you make the connection through simple use.

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 5:37 AM, rfssongs said:

dust sprayed checked a few connections, reseated the memory and the machine works again

Well, the thing is it's impossible to know what actually solved the problems because you did at least two big things. Usually when we're trying to fix things we do multiple things while trying to solve the problem because we are more interested in having the damn thing work than figuring out why it wasn't working.

Poor connections in the RAM socket can cause those issues, and heat may as well.

The big issue usually with dust buildup in electronics is that dust reduces cooling efficiency, so you get overheating. The components inside computers are usually designed to slow themselves or shut down entirely when they get to a certain temperature (to prevent permanent damage). So, yeah, could have been the dust.

Bad connections between component and socket can also cause that behavior, so, yeah, could have been the reseating the RAM.

When I start to see weirdness on my system, I usually start out by monitoring what it's up to, if it's getting hot or whatever. My favorite tool for this is HWInfo, which is free and has both a system summary mode where it will tell you in great detail what components your system is built from, and a sensors mode which lets you see what all of the sensors in your system are reporting. And there are hundreds of them, for processor usage, temperature for various components, fan speed, and so on.

It's a good idea to take the computer out on the porch every so often, open the case and blast the dust out with an air duster can. Don't neglect to do this to the power supply unit. It has a fan, and that fan moves a lot of air, and I've seen some DUSTY power supplies.

I use a battery powered leaf blower! Why mess around. Canned air is not very powerful.  And air compressors  you need to have a dedicated one with a special moisturize filter or you can make things worse.  
Another handy tool is a hi quality 1” or 1/2 “ paint brush to dislodge stuck bits. 
Laptops are tricky and I’ve always tried to blow backwards from the airflow. Otherwise I figured I’m pushing the dust in deeper.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another potential issue with RAM and PCIe cards:

The connection area (points of contact) are quite small.

If the case is moved or "flexes", it can cause those contact points to be "misaligned" just enough to cause issue.

On some builds (especially trying to get a 420mm radiator in a mid-tower case), the tolerance can be *super* tight.

A single millimeter can mean the difference between something working... or not.

ie: RAM with LED lighting can sometimes be too large to install after radiator fans have been mounted.  If the RAM is installed first, there's just enough clearance.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2023 at 11:18 PM, sjoens said:

... or vacuum.

I forget where and when I read this, but apparently vacuum cleaners generate static which can kill electronics like PCs, hence why people use (low power) air blowers to shift dust.

True.  Not all vacs are created equal.  Also depends on how much has accumulated and how much of it you want back in your face or moved to other unwanted areas.   Sometimes using both together is the trick.

But don't take my word for it.  I also use magnetic screwdrivers.  :D

Edited by sjoens

2 hours ago, Xoo said:

I forget where and when I read this, but apparently vacuum cleaners generate static which can kill electronics like PCs, hence why people use (low power) air blowers to shift dust.

Everything that generates friction has some amount of static (vacuum or blower), which is why you always want to have a grounding circuit when working on electronics. Although some components are designed for a "typical arc," many are not, so even the static you generate walking on carpet in winter can arc when installing simple things like RAM modules. For computer work, working with one hand and using the other to grab the computer chassis is typically sufficient.

Going to the extreme end with friction/static... helicopters can generate 50KV or so of static, which is why if you are rescuing someone at sea you always ground the helicopter to the ocean before grabbing the person.. although that is DC current (packs a real punch, but shouldn't outright kill you), it is not something to hit a potentially drowning person with.

My Dad was a lineman for the CPR railway in the 30’s and then switched over to BC Telephone co for like 40 years. He had lots of stories about static and what he called induction. 
You could be Ok working on a line until someone placed a call and hit you with 90 volts. 

I had an issue with getting shocked from the taps of my basement laundry tub. He put a meter on it ant then to the ground of a nearby outlet. There was 20 volts DC. He said it was induction putting the current in the house from the hydro lines ground system that my copper pipes were part of. His conclusion was my house was not really grounded and when I touched the tap in my bare feet standing on the concrete floor I became the best ground in the system. 
I had to add a couple more ground rods which solved the problem. 
But he explained how the proximity of hi voltage to any copper lines will induce a currant. 
It’s sort of why we use shielded cable down there on the stage with the A/C lines. And why you should not run them parallel to each other. 

Edited by John Vere