2023.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

44 minutes ago, David Baay said:

I don't usually use this but just threw it on a track, loaded a random preset, and it's working fine here in the latest release. I suggest you reinstall it from whatever legacy version of Sonar you have that bundled it (assuming it's not part of the free CbB).

Actually, this plugin came with CbB, not Sonar. I do have my version of Sonar Pro that I used before CbB came out, and it crashes that version as well. Unfortunately, i don't see any way to reinstall the plugin.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

We haven't seen this issue on our end, but if you're experiencing a crash, please send us a dump file and we'll investigate. Thanks!

Thanks Jonathan. Already sent a couple of dump files via my support ticket, but I haven't gotten any answers yet, other than 'looking into it'. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

I only have Emberton Sensuous Sax. Its always done as per your description. Ie lose the settings. Of all my plugs its the only one that does that.

i’m tending towards the fact that its a (good albeit) shoddy piece of a vst.

I wouldn't say that. It's pretty simple, option wise, but it sounds great. If you're curious, open it during playback, the way you have it set up, and then press Stop - that's when it resets, in my experience. So, whatever instructions are sent to CW when you press Stop, one of them also instructs the plugin to reset.

I've just exported a project, listened to it, the snare was immensely loud and low mid heavy. One band of REQ had jumped again. Now I'm re-exporting, had to redo the EQing on that band. Lucky thing I remembered the values.

22 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

We haven't seen this issue on our end, but if you're experiencing a crash, please send us a dump file and we'll investigate. Thanks!

Jonathan, I was able to fix the issue by doing a clean install of CbB. However, the clean install recommended by Ashwin via my support ticket differed from the one in your docs. 

Kudos to the great support team for helping me get back to making music!

• Like 1

In the release notes and here in the forum I got the info, 

[..]Offline activation will be available soon.[..]

which sounds very good, but when I search "CakeWalk 2023.09 offline activation" on

the search engine, the first result is:
https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/900006210046-Activating-Cakewalk
and in the "Offline" Tab the topic there is still about the deprecated BandLab Assistant. Seems to be a leftover.
This may have caused some of the confusion of people who read that page first.

So will we get notified (e.g. through CakeWalk), when the offline-authorization-tool will be available?

2023_04h59m59s_009_.jpg

Coming from the road and finally back in studio again. I've downloaded the 2023.09.62 Started a project today after a week being at home and the moment I put a plugin in linear mode it distorts. Heres the strange and weird part - I literally only have one plugin on. Tested this with two other plugins - issue. I thank started a new project and used a sample with one track added one of the plugins placed it in linear mode, but doing the same thing. Thought maybe my drivers got corrupted, uninstalled then reinstalled it and nothing.

I've never had this problem before. 

Ps: The only thing I did was installing Next. Which I see now does not have the uninstall option. It also installed in the Cakewalk Folder? 

UPDATE: After many attempts what worked was to remove NEXT. Reinstalling Cakewalk did not fix the issue while Next was in the Cakewalk folder or different folder. The fix was to completely remove all Cakewalk Next folders and registry files. 

Edited by Will.

5 hours ago, Will. said:

Ps: The only thing I did was installing Next. Which I see now it does not have the Uninstall option. It also installed in the Cakewalk Folder? 

i'd reinstall the redistributables for CW to be sure the Next install (or even some other updates like the MS Edge did a week or so ago) isn't the issue.

for me, i notice that the play processing (on my system at least) is smoother and virtually no clicks w/ everything running (AV, network, etc) which in the previous version i had to shutoff while using CW --- however --- i do find the UI seems more likely to lock up if i slightly click on the edge of a control, as if the resolution (i did not change) and thus control image boundary sensing, is more likely to cause a contention on what i was asking the UI to do. so i'm moving slower in the UI now to make sure i'm hitting controls as dead center as possible (and that seems to mitigate it).

20 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i'd reinstall the redistributables for CW to be sure the Next install (or even some other updates like the MS Edge did a week or so ago) isn't the issue.

for me, i notice that the play processing (on my system at least) is smoother and virtually no clicks w/ everything running (AV, network, etc) which in the previous version i had to shutoff while using CW --- however --- i do find the UI seems more likely to lock up if i slightly click on the edge of a control, as if the resolution (i did not change) and thus control image boundary sensing, is more likely to cause a contention on what i was asking the UI to do. so i'm moving slower in the UI now to make sure i'm hitting controls as dead center as possible (and that seems to mitigate it).

Had to remove all Cakewalk Next files from the system to fix my issue. Removing it alone without doing a reinstall of CbB solved the problem - weird. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 2:42 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Interesting, is this still happening if you try to go to whats new from the help menu? We're not seeing this.
Also, what browser version are you using?

Just in case it helps. Haven't read the full thread so not sure if this has been solved already, but it was happening to me as well (so I came reading here).

Turns out that I had a Chrome already opened, and CW Help->Sign in after the update wasn't doing anything.

I closed the browser, restarted CW and Help->Sign in brought me to the login page and I could activate. 

3 hours ago, Cristiano Sadun said:

Just in case it helps. Haven't read the full thread so not sure if this has been solved already, but it was happening to me as well (so I came reading here).

Turns out that I had a Chrome already opened, and CW Help->Sign in after the update wasn't doing anything.

I closed the browser, restarted CW and Help->Sign in brought me to the login page and I could activate. 

The OP's issue was solved. Most likely temporary connectivity.

Your issue is some weird web browser bug where sometimes it won't open the web page if another page is open with the same URL. The old page is stale and no longer communicate with the app. That's why it works when you close it.  For SSO it's generally best to close the browser before signing in so it starts clean.

The www is a POS 🙂

On 10/1/2023 at 6:23 AM, Will. said:

Coming from the road and finally back in studio again. I've downloaded the 2023.09.62 Started a project today after a week being at home and the moment I put a plugin in linear mode it distorts. Heres the strange and weird part - I literally only have one plugin on. Tested this with two other plugins - issue. I thank started a new project and used a sample with one track added one of the plugins placed it in linear mode, but doing the same thing. Thought maybe my drivers got corrupted, uninstalled then reinstalled it and nothing.

I've never had this problem before. 

Ps: The only thing I did was installing Next. Which I see now does not have the uninstall option. It also installed in the Cakewalk Folder? 

UPDATE: After many attempts what worked was to remove NEXT. Reinstalling Cakewalk did not fix the issue while Next was in the Cakewalk folder or different folder. The fix was to completely remove all Cakewalk Next folders and registry files. 

Next shows up in the Add/Remove Programs in Windows like any other Cakewalk application. The only thing Next shares with a Cakewalk by BandLab install is that it goes to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk and similar. Having a Next install has no effect on CbB and vice versa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Next shows up in the Add/Remove Programs in Windows like any other Cakewalk application. The only thing Next shares with a Cakewalk by BandLab install is that it goes to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk and similar. Having a Next install has no effect on CbB and vice versa. 

Hi Jonathan, great to hear from you. Yes, I went through the Start Menu option clicked on uninstall but it took me to the shortcut icon. There was no uninstall file in there - which was weird. Though when i did remove every instant of Next i could find, my issue was resolved. 

With the CbB current 2023.09 installed each time it is launched for the 1st time after booting up Windows  it pops up a toast that says  it is "Not Activated"  contrary to which believe it should be, I then have to immediately shut CbB down & relaunch,  which then pops up the activated notice and is good for the rest of the windows session...

This seems like a bug?

After a clean re-install of Windows 10Pro (22H2) and also re-installing CakeWalk 2023.09 (062) I tested lots of plug-ins, which all work fine. 
But on the "Halls Of Fame 3 Free" plugin from "Best Service" I encountered a problem:
Generally, when adding the plug-in, it works ok. But when saving in a project and then reloading it, the sound is different (lower in volume and somehow not as expected).  Currently I have no chance to check whether this was an issue already in a previous version.

Same when restarting CakeWalk and then reloading the project.

in the video below you see the steps I did:

what I do in the video:

0:08  add a synth instrument (for test TTS-1, but with all others I tested the same result happens)
0:16  me struggeling to expand the last track height   (NOTE: this is not the reason for the problem,its more a live capture of some difficulties on expanding the last of all the tracks in  a project)
0:23  still failing
0:40  playing C4 without any effects: output ok
0:50 adding "Halls Of Fame 3 Free" IR-reverb plug-in
0:57 selecting a random preset (where the difference can be heard easily)
1:02 playing again C4: output ok
1:14 saving as test1.cwp
1:21 closing project
1:27 re-opening project
1:33 playing C4: output is completely different; and for unknown reason the video capture software (OBS) did not record anything there...

Here the project file: 
test1.zip

I use no audio interfaces;

Anything Windows Only (since its a clean Windows install)

Edited by sunshine dreaming

Hi I am new to posting questions on here but have been using cakewalk for quite a while, I have now run in to a problem since 2023 09 update, I have no sound output to speakers and headphones.

Win 11 laptop i9 hp

Zoom r24 audio interface 

4 way headphone adapter

Everything was working fine until update, tracks all show that they are playing but no sound, have tried the r24 with other software ie vurtual dj and everything is fine, so not the interface or USB cable or drivers, have tried disconnecting r24 and cakewalk plays tracks fine through hdmi to tv not an ideal solution,please help

22 minutes ago, Cwatersuk said:

Hi I am new to posting questions on here but have been using cakewalk for quite a while, I have now run in to a problem since 2023 09 update, I have no sound output to speakers and headphones.

Win 11 laptop i9 hp

Zoom r24 audio interface 

4 way headphone adapter

Everything was working fine until update, tracks all show that they are playing but no sound, have tried the r24 with other software ie vurtual dj and everything is fine, so not the interface or USB cable or drivers, have tried disconnecting r24 and cakewalk plays tracks fine through hdmi to tv not an ideal solution,please help

This is not likely related to the update itself. Check what your audio settings are in the Preferences and then make sure that your outputs in the project are routed to the hardware properly. 

19 hours ago, Tez said:

With the CbB current 2023.09 installed each time it is launched for the 1st time after booting up Windows  it pops up a toast that says  it is "Not Activated"  contrary to which believe it should be, I then have to immediately shut CbB down & relaunch,  which then pops up the activated notice and is good for the rest of the windows session...

This seems like a bug?

Pretty unlikely. Once the app is activated it doesn't retry until the lease expires which is quite long. Check whether you have some backup script or something that is restoring some state when you reboot. If so, that might explain why Cakewalk is not activated again after a boot.

Thanks for the reply Jonathan

All settings and preferences are as they were before the update and everything worked fine with zero issues, my zoom r24 works with all my other audio software without a problem on the same computer.

Cakewalk will output sound if I disconnect the r24 interface and use the hdmi to tv connection but not a good solution for mixing tracks.

Using virtual dj with the r24 works fine so the asio driver and usb cable are fine.

I just don't understand how with no changes to preferences everything is as it was pre update and cakewalk is showing that audio is playing I get no sound in fact the r24 doesn't show any fader lights, I have connected my yamaha tyros 5 to the r24 and recorded to cakewalk as an audio track and it recorded the music but no sound on playback

I really loved using cakewalk had every intention of staying with it even if I had to pay but if it is not working then will have to find something else instead

• Sad 1