2023.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

8 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I deleted Bandlab Assisant and although I've had no trouble updating CbB and I'm signed into the App I can no longer view the Bandlab website

It tried to take me there to show me what's new with the  update and it's just blank

image.thumb.png.fb3b416c75d365a1ef116903b7067f2b.png

Interesting, is this still happening if you try to go to whats new from the help menu? We're not seeing this.
Also, what browser version are you using?

10 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Bandlab assistant hasn't been used by Cakewalk for login for more than a year and a half. It will no longer work for activating Cakewalk. All sign in must be done within the app from the help menu.

@Noel Borthwick

Tried this but am getting Error code: 400

Edited by billp

37 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Activation or signing in isnt a requirement to do updates. Just do a check for updates and it should find the new update.

Hi Noel...

I'm ok here, but I'm a bit confused... When performing an update, an activation is required and the experience by my friend yesterday showed more than a 2 hour delay in activation happening after update. So many people are confused, uncertain and bewildered...

You might post a note informing them of such delays and reminding them to be patient even for that long!

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

If you run the Cakewalk download tool (not BandLab Assistant) it will download the full installer version for a fresh system 

Here it did only work if I installed a version before 2022.11. But then it works to get the full installer.

But it seems 2023.09 cannot be activated offline! I tested this on my laptop to ensure it will work on my other offline systems. Although I could export an activation request, BandLab Assistent told me the request is invalid. Is this true?

30 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

I started to receive audio abandonment (9) more consistently, which is recommended to increase the MIDI preparation buffers.
However, I am already at the maximum allowed (1000) and I continue to receive such abandonment.

Not sure why the error detection code would mis-report the cause, but if you were already running a higher MIDI buffer size, I'd recommend going back to something more typical like 50-200ms and looking for related possible causes like misbehaving MIDI FX, Algorithmic MIDI-generating plugins or audio plugins that have excessivly high look-ahead buffers. Maybe start by bypassing all FX and see if the problem persists. And, of course, try to correlate the appearance of the issue with one of the last few major changes you made to the project content/routing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billp said:

@Noel Borthwick

Tried this but am getting Error code: 400

Are you sure you read the code correctly? Please post a screenshot or video showing the message and exactly what steps you took leading up to that.
You must go to help about and then choose sign in, then sign in from the webpage that appears in your browser. Until that is completed the app cannot activate. This is not new, its been a requirement for over a year btw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keni said:

Hi Noel...

I'm ok here, but I'm a bit confused... When performing an update, an activation is required and the experience by my friend yesterday showed more than a 2 hour delay in activation happening after update. So many people are confused, uncertain and bewildered...

You might post a note informing them of such delays and reminding them to be patient even for that long!

The OP was asking if he needed to sign in and activate before updating to a new version. I was responding to him.
If its taking that long its more likely that there is a connectivity problem on the client machine. Activation is instantaneous here. Ive never seen it delay. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarcL said:

Here it did only work if I installed a version before 2022.11. But then it works to get the full installer.

But it seems 2023.09 cannot be activated offline! I tested this on my laptop to ensure it will work on my other offline systems. Although I could export an activation request, BandLab Assistent told me the request is invalid. Is this true?

This is clearly mentioned in the release notes. BandLab assistant is no longer compatible with CbB since it uses an obsolete activation server. 
Offline activation is not yet available for this version. We'll provide a tool to do that somewhat later.

• BandLab Assistant has been deprecated and is no longer compatible with CbB or other Cakewalk products. You must use in-app activation as described below.
  • Version 2023.09 currently does not support offline activation, so your computer must be online to activate it. Offline activation will be available soon.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Are you sure you read the code correctly? Please post a screenshot or video showing the message and exactly what steps you took leading up to that.
You must go to help about and then choose sign in, then sign in from the webpage that appears in your browser. Until that is completed the app cannot activate. This is not new, its been a requirement for over a year btw.

@Noel Borthwick

Yes I did exactly that: used the sign-in from within CbB. It has always worked before.

Here's the Fiddler results:

image.thumb.png.aa9b1ac1fa18c7e44fbcad3f1841c7a8.png

image.png.f9bc97b3199951cb6785c660ed279859.png

Here's the result:

image.png.ccee3c01a7108dfdaedad170071c9a7b.png

Here's the URL of the above response page:

https://localhost:4342/callback?code=eE5QUUdXbGJKZHplUkpkZTg5TGxKVS92M1JDTWFJb3JsbmlSQnBjVmJqMUFLa0ZOZFN0YnoyaGw1Yjd2WU0vV1M1Sk03bk5ZNFF6NjRweXRhSkdWL1J3TUhxU3VHdVJRR1F0c2RIekpNVlU9&scope=openid offline_access&session_state=dDrbvPPBPKyg1hkGM1CRSSGdbi5YJO1NHBk0dAEVzQo.38D62EAEB9F44F43EB1E6B6D32FDE340

image.png

Edited by billp

24 minutes ago, billp said:

Yes I did exactly that: used the sign-in from within CbB. It has always worked before.

Here's the Fiddler results:

@billp I'm more interested in the errors displayed in the app rather than the HTTP errors. Let's take troubleshooting your issue offline. Check your PM messages and we can try and troubleshoot further one on one. 
The 400 HTTP error makes me wonder if something in your network (firewall, router or AV possibly) is blocking the bandlab OAUTH sign in process which requires communication with the application via a localhost port. 
I'm curious if simply going to the bandlab website and trying to sign in from there is successful. (Even if that works it doesn't rule out something blocking the communication between the browser and Cakewalk itself). 
Also, the digital signature of the application has changed since the last version so it's not impossible that if it was whitelisted before that has changed now. The actual sign in process hasn't changed since 2021 so we're pretty sure it's not directly related to this update.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I'm curious if simply going to the bandlab website and trying to sign in from there is successful. 

As I have stated in an earlier post. I first had to go to the .com site | signed in there and then went to the app before it accepted my sign in through the app. I had to sign in there too. I was confused that day, but thought it was because i had done a clean install of my OS. This was before the EA release about a month and half back. 

Far cry: Could it be related to the jump made with the new servers perhaps? 

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This is clearly mentioned in the release notes. BandLab assistant is no longer compatible with CbB since it uses an obsolete activation server. 
Offline activation is not yet available for this version. We'll provide a tool to do that somewhat later.

Thanks for the info!

This encourages me, because I had seen fixes that I waited for a long time and I am glad that like that I don't want to miss them! 😄

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Interesting, is this still happening if you try to go to whats new from the help menu? We're not seeing this.
Also, what browser version are you using?

Thanks I have fixed it, I think it was a leftover banning cookie from when Wookie got the hump with me a couple of years ago. Strangely it only came into effect when I deleted Bandlab Assistant.    

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Will. said:

As I have stated in an earlier post. I first had to go to the .com site | signed in there and then went to the app before it accepted my sign in through the app. I had to sign in there too. I was confused that day, but thought it was because i had done a clean install of my OS. This was before the EA release about a month and half back. 

Far cry: Could it be related to the jump made with the new servers perhaps? 

Not at all. Even though Sign in is a prerequisite for  activation its a completely independent processes. Also signing in through the web browser on its own has no effect  on Cakewalk. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The OP was asking if he needed to sign in and activate before updating to a new version. I was responding to him.
If its taking that long its more likely that there is a connectivity problem on the client machine. Activation is instantaneous here. Ive never seen it delay. 

Thanks Noel...

Explanation much appreciated. He's got good internet (though he does live on the gulf coast of Florida) but I was in contact with him while he waited.

I have never had more than 10's of seconds delay to activation after an update so I was a little concerned but thinking there may be a huge load on the server in our situation? 😉

But hey... He's an old guy such as I am so who knows what was going on down there while waiting! 😉

Many thanks to the development team for putting so much effort into the latest release!!!
        Friends, tell me: how can I update the version if I already have Early Access 29.09.0.062   installed? When you enter the "Help - Check for updates" section, a pop-up link at the bottom right says: "You already have the latest version 29.09.0.062 installed." Is there any way to download the installer itself for this latest release?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Edited by IgoRr

29 minutes ago, IgoRr said:

Many thanks to the development team for putting so much effort into the latest release!!!
        Friends, tell me: how can I update the version if I already have Early Access 29.09.0.062   installed? When you enter the "Help - Check for updates" section, a pop-up link at the bottom right says: "You already have the latest version 29.09.0.062 installed." Is there any way to download the installer itself for this latest release?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Yeah, we EA people already got the release version.

If I understood the comments here from the Bakers, if you download the link from the download cakewalk button on the bandlab website, you get the full installer, but I don’t know for certain if true or in effect yet?

• Like 1