The New Forum Software is NOT a deal!

cclarry

Same here yesterday and today (early afternoon California).  It's really slow.  I'm seeing a lot of  "error 500" notifications (time-out) and other connection errors.   

Edit: Interestingly, I've seen the speed return to normal for a while during the same time of day.  

Edited by Tom B
  • Like 2

The new softeware is a little better at keeping the spamers at bay. I think maybe the trade-off is when they are trying to get in forcefully, it may slow down as a result of the software keeping the spammer out.

Now this is just my uneducated assumption about how things work based on extensive reading of all kinds of BS I came across!!

• Like 1

Yeah, we got an absolute belting yesterday from spammers-  I was on there for most of the day doing cleanup behind the scenes. The forum software was hiding a good lot of the threads from public view, thankfully, and outright blocking others, so it wouldn't surprise me if the reason we were getting so many 500/502/504 errors was the sheer number of attempts at getting in the door.

I think the spam filters could probably be tweaked a little though (something mods don't have access to, unfortunately - that's admins only) because it'll get tripped up on things like airlines, a group of numbers similar to phone numbers, etc.  I'll likely need to unblock my own post here for even mentioning that, actually. It's definitely helping things but there's collateral damage along the way, unfortunately. I'll bring it up with the team and see if anyone has any good suggestions, but I'd say this is the best of a bunch of crappy options at the moment.

EDIT: Lolz, yep - had to approve my post due to filtered words 😛 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Yeah, we got an absolute belting yesterday from spammers-  I was on there for most of the day doing cleanup behind the scenes. The forum software was hiding a good lot of the threads from public view, thankfully, and outright blocking others, so it wouldn't surprise me if the reason we were getting so many 500/502/504 errors was the sheer number of attempts at getting in the door.

This makes sense.  Thank you for your service!

• Like 3