RIP Jimmy Buffett

John Maar

Here in South Florida, you have to play at least one Jimmy Buffett song per gig, it's the law. :D

Drink it up
This ones for you
It's been a lovely cruise
I'm sorry it's ended
It's sad but it's true

These moments were left with
May you always remember
These moments are shared by few
There's wind in our hair
And there's water in our shoes

These moments we're left with
May you always remember
These moments are shared by few
And those harbor lights
Aw they're coming into view
We bid our farewell much too soon
So drink it up
This one's for you

And it has.

• Like 2

From a story I read a long time ago:

Jimmy had a #8 hit with "Margaritaville" and went on writing more songs.

Then he saw a bar called "Margaritaville" that was doing great business with that laid back, island atmosphere. Jimmy saw that as a gold mine, so he bought the trademark from the lounge, and started his empire.

In the end, "Margaritaville", a moderate #8 hit has become the most valuable song in history with cruises, retirement communities, beer and all the other ventures Buffett launched with that song.

Opportunity came knocking, and Buffett opened the door and invited it in.

Notes ♫

• Like 3

Jimmy Buffett concerts were events. I've attended hundreds of concerts, but Jimmy's vibe was different from the rest. We had a special way of starting a Buffett concert off. We'd start a week or two before the show, driving around the neighborhood, looking for an old sofa out on the curb. We'd put it in the bed of my friend's truck, along with a couple of coolers and a baggie or three, and get to the show way early. Stuck a Buffett tape in the player and started the party. When the concert was over, we'd push the old couch out into the parking lot and leave it there. 🤣

I visited the Margaritaville grill in St. Bart's once, the one where he liked to drop in from time to time and grill burgers for customers, but didn't see him. That would have been fun.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...