Native Instruments FM8 for $10

cclarry

wow. that is an insane deal on one of the best instruments there ever was. its not updated and i think it might be NI legacy abandonware, but if you have no need for new gui and are using an older system and dont have komplete, this is amazing

Edited by telecode 101
fixed
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

wow. that is an insane deal on one of the best instruments there ever was. its not updated and i think it might be NI legacy abandonware, but if you have no need for new gui and are using an older system and dont have komplete, this is amazing

Last year they updated it to VST3 in windows 10 systems.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

[...], but if you have no need for new gui [...]

I wonder if I'm alone with this but I just hate using ugly or old looking plugins, no matter how good they sound. I know it's irrational because the beauty of the user interface has no effect on the sound but using plugins that look pretty just feels so much more satisfying when working with them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

That's a crazy deal.  Since picking up FM7 (then later FM8) I stopped using my DX7IIFD because it/they just nailed the sounds of my patches.

Good point. My favorite became F.’em from Tracktion. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

I wonder if I'm alone with this but I just hate using ugly or old looking plugins, no matter how good they sound. I know it's irrational because the beauty of the user interface has no effect on the sound but using plugins that look pretty just feels so much more satisfying when working with them.

I am fine with its GUI. But its small and hard to use on my setup. But if you read the manual on how to use it, It's an amazingly designed software synth. miles better than anything NI has released recently IMO.

• Like 3

I love F'em but
F'em can only import Tracktion Content (Sound) Packs (unless you care to program your own).
That it can't import DX patches or even sysex files is a major flaw/limitation (at least in MHO) and locks you into the Tracktion universe for patches.

There are tons of free patches that can be imported into FM8 as well as commercial patches from 3rd parties (ADSR, PluginGuru, theUnfinished, etc.).
A great use for those almost useless $25 NI vouchers you get when buying Komplete or other NI stuff is to pickup FM8 or Massive patch libraries.
Edit: As pointed out below it turns out NI isn't selling any FM8 libraries, my bad.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, audioschmaudio said:

I can't find any FM8 libraries on NI

Hmm.  Could've sworn...  Sorry.

Odd, maybe they didn't feel like competing with what was already included?  Dunno 
per https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/fm8/   near bottom of page.

THE LIBRARY
The FM8 library contains over 1200 expertly-designed presets. Rich and detailed, they exemplify the strengths of FM synthesis, from dynamic digital pianos to bright, bold brass. Also included are a number of effect rack, sound morphing, and arpeggio presets. Simply search and you will find – instantly.

So for $10 (the OP deal) you get 1200 presets and a synth that can import tons of free or 3rd party ones.
Still sounds like a no brainer to me.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

@TheSteven I've tried a few of the factory presets and for me the majority of them doesn't seem very useful.

The ability to import DX patches in the SYX format isn't that much of a plus because the free Dexed can do that too and they almost sound identical (Dexed is a bit louder but after adjusting the volume I could hardly hear a difference).

FM8 has a better preset browser than Dexed though.

1 hour ago, audioschmaudio said:

I've tried a few of the factory presets and for me the majority of them doesn't seem very useful.

As far as my opinion/taste on DX patches - I don't care for most of the piano type sounds that seem poplar & string imitations.
I do find it excellent for lead synth, bells, electronic type sounds and sound fx, some of the basses are excellent (depends on range needed as most fall apart if played too high or low) and some pads.

FM7 was used for the bass on this track, DAW: Project 5.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, TheSteven said:

That's a crazy deal.  Since picking up FM7 (then later FM8) I stopped using my DX7IIFD because it/they just nailed the sounds of my patches.

Is there the originals dx7 sounds ? 

I really like the arturia for those ... just make sure to switch velocity setting from dx 7 to full

31 minutes ago, Zo said:

Is there the originals dx7 sounds ? 

I really like the arturia for those ... just make sure to switch velocity setting from dx 7 to full

Original sounds? 
I don't know - I've had it too long to recall what came with it and what I added or downloaded from my DX7II.
At one point there were multiple places on the web where you could download the patches from the original ROMs that came with the DX7.
Same for the DX7II which had its own initial patches.

I opted for FM7 because to my ears it duplicated the sound of my DX7II - not the DX7.
I never really cared for the DX7, always thought it had a transistor/metallic sound and every time (now I'm dating myself) a band brought one into the recording studio I always had to massage (EQ, compress, add FX, etc.) the crap out of the tracks to make them sound good and work with the other instruments.
When the DX7II came out I was wowed. It had the warmth & brass that I always thought the DX7 was missing and was stereo instead of mono.  I was impressed enough that I took out a loan and bought one. 
I know a lot of people can't hear the difference between the DX7 & DX7II but that's on them (a lot of people can't taste the difference between butter & margarine either), maybe that I was constantly working with them in a professional setting made the differences more audible. As always YMMV.
Nowadays when I listen to a DX synth or a one that can do DX I no longer judge it against Yamaha hardware I judge it like I would any other soft synth - tonality, presence, quality of the patches, etc..

• Like 3