Native Instruments FM8 for $10

cclarry

On 8/14/2023 at 9:12 AM, MrFigg said:

Thanks for answering. Here’s the thing now. I located the VST2s and deleted them along with the standalone. Now the only file I can find is FM8 VST3. What I’m confused about is how it’s showing up as both instrument and fx even though it’s only one VST file. Can VSTs really work that way? 

Confirming (belatedly) that FM8 does show up in your DAW as both an instrument and as an effect.
There's a trick to using FM8 as an effect processor - it will have no output until you route the output as explained in this video.

Note from what I remember on my (Windows) system Ctrl clicking on setting didn't work, I think I had to right click...

Edited by TheSteven
corrected video timemark - was playing at wrong startpoint
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Patrick Wichrowski said:

I searched for lots of libraries and discovered that they have zero "E.PIANO" ou "E.ORGAN" sounds since 2004/2006. This is crazy because E Pianos are what people love most about the DX7.

I opened the rom banks 1 and 3 in DEXED and removed the dots from the presets names.

Problem solved!

There is a way that you can avoid using another program to fix corrupt patch names.
You can also use a hex editor and directly change the "." to a space (value 20) in the syx file.

I was playing with it briefly last night spot checking various syx ROM libraries and found there are other patches whose names contain periods (sorry was experimenting as opposed to deep diving & didn't note which ones) and after fixing it they will import OK.
On import
- if there is a period in the name the name is truncated at the period.
- if there are duplicate patch names the last one processed overwrites the previous (which is why there is only one 'E' patch).
Just keep a backup of the file, as it's possible to corrupt the file if you edit the wrong data.

Edited by TheSteven
added context...
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Confirming (belatedly) that FM8 does show up in your DAW as both an instrument and as an effect.
There's a trick to using FM8 as an effect processor - it will have no output until you route the output as explained in this video.

Note from what I remember on my (Windows) system Ctrl clicking on setting didn't work, I think I had to right click...

Thanks man. Going to try out the cabs with my guitar to see if they're any good :)