Permanently delete Realtek ASIO Audio HD

I need precise instructions on how to completely delete Realtek ASIO Audio HD in regedit. I wiped out many occurrences of this in regedit to no avail. Every 20 minutes, in Cakewalk, I get a message asking if I want to use Realtek. I found several people on the interwebs giving instructions on how to do this, but their instructions are faulty.

I did not check to see if somehow loads in the BIOS.

If the entry for the RealTek ASIO driver is not found in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

the DAW will be completely unaware the driver exists.

I have one RME Babyface Pro attached to my PC, the registry looks like this

6zNN8M0.png

notice there is no entry for any other audio device.

The only way CbB knows about ASIO drivers is by checking this registry area

• Like 2

There is a good chance drivers like these will reinstall with updates or re-activate themselves if the driver is still present (what is happening to you). Another approach in Windows is to open "Sound Settings->Sound Control Panel (upper right)" then disable any drivers you do not want Windows to use (you can view the disabled ones by right-clicking in that window and "Show Disabled Devices" if you want to toggle them from there as well). As long as they are disabled in that window, Windows will never expose them to any programs (regardless of them being installed), which is what you are really after. Cakewalk relies on Windows telling it what is available and this will stop that for you.

• Like 2

Yep! The best option would be to disable it, otherwise windows will just reinstall the regkey to it. Mine is permanently disbaled instead of deleting the Hotkey. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 2

I also disable Realtek in BIOS, on computer which has different default interface. But in general I have not noticed any problems having extra audio interfaces enabled. At least not recently. There was times when NVIDIA HDMI audio was somehow influencing real-time performance, but last years I have all drivers enabled (RME, M-Audio, Phonic, Roland, Behringer and ReaRoute ASIO + HDMI) and everything seems like working ok.
What I will never install again is ASIO4ALL (and probably any other generic wrapper drivers). This one can magically disturb other... 

• Like 1

It is my understanding that the Realtek ASIO driver is only installed with the initial drivers when the computer is built. I have built dozens of Computers that have Realtek audio and I simply DON"T install the ASIO driver when given the option. But off the shelve computers and laptops will probably already have it installed. 

Just to be clear, Realtek doesn't need the ASIO driver to work. It is 100% happy to use the other Windows drivers like WASAPI. I use Realtek audio on at least 5 of my computers full time with out issues.  The ASIO driver has been deleted in the Reg Edit App when it shows there.  It has never returned.  This is just a routine of mine as part of optimizing a computer for audio. 

I don't think it's possible it can be re installed without you choosing to do so. It would probably be offered as a optional user installed Windows Update. 

Realtek sound cards do not interfere with Cakewalk,  The ASIO driver should not be used because it's badly written so best to remove it in the Reg Edit. 

On my Office computer I easily switch between my Focusrite interface or the Realtek audio by simply turning off the Focusrite. I have worked using WASAPI shared and using the on board audio for a zillion hours with Cakewalk without issues.  I only turn on the Focusrite when I want to do some recording which is rare. My powered monitors are connected to the RealTek so I just use headphones with the interface. 

My main DAW all other audio devices are simply disabled in Manage Sound devices in Windows Settings.  I use 48mHz so I never have conflicts with audio and can have multiple apps and You Tube running along with Cakewalk.  I most certainly shut everything down including the internet when tracking. But playback and editing is not an issue otherwise. 

I thought I would address a few issues, here. Disabling or deleting Realtek or Nvidia audio drivers have done nothing for the past 18 months. They just reappear. I use WASAPI Shared when I control or work with musicians in other states so I can hear their tracks in my speakers, or headphones. Other than that, I always use ASIO and find the RME written drivers are as stable and fast as advertised.

I had deleted the Realtek in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO, but it didn't work. Scook mentioned doing so with a graphic and I realized I just wrote delete after the Realtek name where I should have literally deleted it. I did and that one is solved for now. The NVIDIA audio does not appear in regedit. I am sure I let that bad boy in when I installed the NVIDIA video card. I've done this at least 30 times. I have been having dpc latency issues that might be related to this card. I have tried every driver NVIDIA has for the 3060ti and settled on an older one and I have tried to only install the bare necessities. This has been going on for a year so I might have slipped up on the audio driver. Still, I have the audio disabled in the Nvidia control panel to no avail.

NVIDIA can be taken care of when installing drivers. Always do a custom install and only select the graphics drivers and PhysX options, then check "perform a clean installation" at the bottom prior to the install. In addition to the HD audio, the "GeForce Experience" app does a lot of background processes that will interfere with a DAW. A clean installation with the above options checked should show those not present when it finishes.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

I've done this many times. So, just to be sure I did it again. Clean install with just the driver and PhysX options selected. It then selects my monitor audio (which I have to uninstall) and guess what? In 10 minutes I received this message: NVIDIA audio was disconnected would you like to reroute. I select yes and all is good. Five minutes later the same NVIDIA message appears. Why? It is not installed and I already told it to use my RME drivers.

you need to disable the driver in device manager, not uninstall as windows will see the hardware and load the last known driver. if you disable, it will remain disabled (unless some update reactivate it) and it won't keep reappearing. same for the realtek etc any drivers except ASIO (which can be uninstalled usually, if not, disable it).

• Like 1

Any driver reactivating itself is still present in the system. Windows does a sweep on driver directories and will "recover" them if present on the machine. Some are pests and reinstalled just by running the app they are associated with, others can be calls to msi files associated with them. The disabling option mentioned a few times now is the best method to resolve these. I have 6 or 7 audio drivers on my machine disabled (I only use 2). Installed or not, Windows is not going to use or expose drivers when disabled.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

you need to disable the driver in device manager, not uninstall as windows will see the hardware and load the last known driver. if you disable, it will remain disabled (unless some update reactivate it) and it won't keep reappearing. same for the realtek etc any drivers except ASIO (which can be uninstalled usually, if not, disable it).

Hi Glenn, I disabled it and when that didn't work I deleted it. So, disabling didn't work for me.