Waves upgrade to Mercury (biggest discount ever)

Yan Filiatrault

My upgrade is $400 and adds 39 plugins. There are some six I'd like and I'll eventually get, there are some I already have (???) and the rest I don't care about. Definitely a no-go for me, even with the discount.

Edited by Sergio

21 hours ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

I know Waves WUP and pricing is controversial, but with this price, I would get many plugins missing and upgrade almost everything from them from version 9 to 13 to the current version without the hassle of many installers, so I’ll probably get it. And I’m on Windows so never any problems with OS upgrades over the years.

I may be wrong but I have the impression that it is better to keep smaller collections and individual plugins instead of Mercury. For example: I recently WUPed my Scheps Omni channel and got the new v2 for $13. If I had Mercury not WUPed in v13 or less I'd have to pay $240 or buy this plugin again to get it for cheap.

Edited by Sergio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sergio said:

I may be wrong but I have the impression that it is better to keep smaller collections and individual plugins instead of Mercury. For example: I recently WUPed my Scheps Omni channel and got the new v2 for $13. If I had Mercury not WUPed in v13 or less I'd have to pay $240 or buy this plugin again to get it for cheap.

If I added the 13$ upgrade, and the purchases of the plugins I didn’t own and wanted in Mercury, and paid to upgrade all those that I had to version 14 from Mercury, plus all added over the coming year in Mercury for free for me, I would have to pay way over 110$.

Edited by Yan Filiatrault

38 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

If I added the 13$ upgrade, and the purchases of the plugins I didn’t own and wanted in Mercury, and paid to upgrade all those that I had to version 14 from Mercury, plus all added over the coming year in Mercury for free for me, I would have to pay way over 110$.

It's a good deal, no doubt. My question is about the cost to keep it later.  If instead of a big pack we had all the individual plugins in our account we could choose which ones to upgrade when desired. And, eventually, WUP the whole lot to benefit from the $240 cap. By having all plugins in a big collection we loose this option. I have a lot of plugins from waves (from v9 to v14) but this Scheps v2 was the first time I WUPed anything.

I know that there are many plugins included in Mercury for free but this only works until the next major version release. And then you're stuck in the situation I'm describing.

Anyway... by now I'm staying with what I have. YMMV.

Edited by Sergio
  • Great Idea 1

14 minutes ago, Sergio said:

I have a lot of plugins from waves (from v9 to v14) but this Scheps v2 was the first time I WUPed anything.

I'm in the same boat and have been wondering about the same thing. But since the Scheps Omni is the first and only WUPed plugin in almost 10 years of owning Waves plugins,  I'm kind of leaning the other way.   🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mibby said:

I'm in the same boat and have been wondering about the same thing. But since the Scheps Omni is the first and only WUPed plugin in almost 10 years of owning Waves plugins,  I'm kind of leaning the other way.   🤔

Before that, I upgraded once years ago for Element to Element 2, so probably not a big issue.

10 minutes ago, mibby said:

Doh! Scratch that - I was looking at Horizon, NOT Mercury!   LOL!  Mercury is about $1200 bucks for me, so an easy pass! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sergio said:

I had thought it was similar to that too from what I'd read from people on here. It's better to upgrade to the next bundle up than to WUP but once you reach the end of the line, you're a little screwed as you can't WUP individual plugins, so the WUP is also $240 from that point on.

I haven't upgraded WUP or to Mercury though.