Ready do give up after years of trying to use Cakewalk

Joe Dun

I purchased Cakewalk over 30  years ago, when it was $100, thinking I was buying something reasonably easy to use. And over the years, I would start up trying to use it, and spend many hours on it.  Try to use the help file, but would not get a sufficient explanation, and sometimes dead links in the on-line help,  before giving up. Then, eventually I would try again, only to have the same sort of issues, and eventually get frustrated after trying for a few hours to do something as basic as trying to create an eighth note on the piano score view.  

I think I have the settings correct to permit this

, 665400347_NoteSettings.jpg.f28cd385e043c8a285c348394d81106c.jpg and 874968686_Notedurationselected.jpg.8b5e12457119c261928d233f249fe074.jpg

but it will only insert a quarter note. 

I try to edit that note, and cut its duration in half, but it still shows as a quarter note, even if it plays as an eighth.

332092387_NoteProperties.jpg.e48727955cff7f88c8b59dfd2719560a.jpg

Is there really any hope of using the program if I am primarily using it with the staff view? 

Are there any other programs that are easier to use for this?

-Joe

Edited by Joe Dun

4 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

@Joe Dun do you have fill duration enabled, if so it will always show a bigger note.

Good call.   Actually, if all of your notes are "on grid", then you're as well unchecking both "Fill Durations" and "Trim Durations".

The only reason those options are there are to show a readable staff view representation for completely unquantized performances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

30 years and the OP has made no headway????

Looks like people are beginning to ignore you. You seem to be a snarky little fellow. You may be smart, may be creative, but you don’t seem to be very helpful. I have seen people bend over backwards to help people, me included. I believe that is the purpose of a community forum.

• Like 2
  • Meh 1

1 hour ago, Michael Richards said:

Looks like people are beginning to ignore you. You seem to be a snarky little fellow. You may be smart, may be creative, but you don’t seem to be very helpful. I have seen people bend over backwards to help people, me included. I believe that is the purpose of a community forum.

I'm more than happy to point people to  resources where they can find the answers they need. That is what real help is rather than spoon feeding them. Teaching how to catch fish rather than just handing them out.

You can't help people who won't be helped. This is at least the third thread from the OP on the exact same self-imposed "issue." Much extremely helpful advice has been given and apparently ignored.

He's been pointed to John Vere and Creative Sauce's extremely clear and concise tutorials by more than one person. Including me. Both explain things so well and so clearly that even my technophobe wife who hates computers and has nowhere near the software experience this guy claims caught on immediately. If you can't get it between the two of those guys then there really doesn't seem to be much hope...

Edited by Byron Dickens
  • Like 6

On 7/24/2023 at 3:59 PM, Byron Dickens said:

I'm more than happy to point people to  resources where they can find the answers they need. That is what real help is rather than spoon feeding them. Teaching how to catch fish rather than just handing them out.

You can't help people who won't be helped. This is at least the third thread from the OP on the exact same self-imposed "issue." Much extremely helpful advice has been given and apparently ignored.

He's been pointed to John Vere and Creative Sauce's extremely clear and concise tutorials by more than one person. Including me. Both explain things so well and so clearly that even my technophobe wife who hates computers and has nowhere near the software experience this guy claims caught on immediately. If you can't get it between the two of those guys then there really doesn't seem to be much hope...

It's not so much what you say but how you say it.  You can be helpful without the attitude.  Try it.  People will feel better about you.

🙂John B

• Great Idea 1

7 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

It's not so much what you say but how you say it.  You can be helpful without the attitude.  Try it.  People will feel better about you.

🙂John B

Or alternatively, people could learn to be a little less sensitive and thin skinned. 99% of all the help & advice given out is in good faith from people offering up their own time to be helpful.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1
  • Meh 1

16 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Or alternatively, people could learn to be a little less sensitive and thin skinned. 99% of all the help & advice given out is in good faith from people offering up their own time to be helpful.

No.  I don't buy that.  People don't come to this forum to be intimidated in the form of "help".  If Mr. Dickson (or anybody else here) can't give help without an attitude and degrading people they should refrain from offering their "help".  It's not seen as being helpful.  It's seen as INTIMIDATING!

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

31 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

99% of all the help & advice given out is in good faith from people offering up their own time to be helpful.

I most definitely agree with you on this.  99% of the help and advise here is given in good faith by some very helpful and PLEASANT people.  I've learned most of what I know about Cakewalk by some very wonderful folks here.  Everytime I see name Byron Dickins on a forum I see a post from a person with an attitude.  You don't have to help people if it frustrates you so much.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

If my manner gives you the vapors so bad, you can  always put me on your ignore list and go back to pretending the whole world is sunshine and rainbows and unicorns....

In the meantime, since you're so gung-ho and all about massaging people's poor little feelings you could at least have enough respect to spell their names correctly.

• Meh 1

7 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

If my manner gives you the vapors so bad, you can  always put me on your ignore list and go back to pretending the whole world is sunshine and rainbows and unicorns....

In the meantime, since you're so gung-ho and all about massaging people's poor little feelings you could at least have enough respect to spell their names correctly.

Sorry, DICKENS.  Please do me a favor.  Don't ever respond to any questions I post.  Your kind of vile help I don't want or need.  In fact, I'm considering not purchasing Cakewalk if I have to put up with people the likes of you.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

49 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

In fact, I'm considering not purchasing Cakewalk if I have to put up with people the likes of you.

Sorry, but this position seems silly to me. You might not buy Cakewalk because of comments made by a user in a forum???

Sometimes people announce in the forum that they are done with Cakewalk for any of a number of reasons. Personally I think that people are entitled to use or to not use any software based on their own personal preferences, workflows, needs, etc. 

However, some users vent in the forum to publicly proclaim their dissatisfaction or frustration often pretending to ask questions instead of simply acting on their personal decisions to switch to other software.

If you want to switch from Cakewalk to other software, that is a personal decision and in my opinion ought best be done on the basis of your satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the software.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Sorry, but this position seems silly to me. You might not buy Cakewalk because of comments made by a user in a forum???

Sometimes people announce in the forum that they are done with Cakewalk for any of a number of reasons. Personally I think that people are entitled to use or to not use any software based on their own personal preferences, workflows, needs, etc. 

However, some users vent in the forum to publicly proclaim their dissatisfaction or frustration often pretending to ask questions instead of simply acting on their personal decisions to switch to other software.

If you want to switch from Cakewalk to other software, that is a personal decision and in my opinion ought best be done on the basis of your satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the software.

My dissatisfaction with with the people I have to interact with to get questions answered is also a factor.  To me it is part of the "personal preference".  But that's OK.  Dickens himself gave me the best answer.  I've put him and some of his friends in my ignored list, so I needn't be bothered by people like him.  Brilliant idea!!  Thank you, Byron!!!

😀JB

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1