Any users of the FMR Really Nice Compressor 1773 ??

jesse g

A friend is giving me his old FMR RNC 1773 which he purchased several years ago.   He no longer has a studio and found it in his garage in a box w/o the power adapter, so he asked if I wanted it.

I just read some reviews and wondered what others thought about it?    I don't have it yet,  however, I will most likely receive it tomorrow or next week and will then have to purchase a power cable for it.

What are your thoughts?   You Tube gives it plus reviews and SOS had a very nice article about it.

SOS RNC 1773 Review

Edited by jesse g

I love the thing. I used it in the studio for a while. Later on I moved it to the TV. Best move I made in a while. I wish it had a “loud TV commercial” setting to turn that stuff down. At least leveling it helps. I don’t have it now, but I really miss it on the TV. 

If you use an external TV sound amp, try it there too lol!

Now I have  a mind set of less in and clean as possible going in.  Once you have the audio ITB you can work miracles with it.  Look at the S/N and compare it to your sound card. If it is close to the same, it might help boost the signal and get above some of the floor noise. Being able to push things going in a bit without adding IM or more noise would be a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bruno, 

I've heard of the compressor before, but I never used it or heard it in action.  I watched some YouTube videos after he offered it to me and it looks rather impressive.  I may just use it as a dedicated external mono channel compressor in Cakewalk "Sonar" soon to be again 

I was going to get two Lindell Audio Lin76 FET compressor but I rethought that decision since they didn't have XLR jacks on the back.    Instead, I purchased an ART Pro VLA II and I love using that Dual Mono compressor, especially in link mode on the mix bus.

I had one about 5 years ago and really liked it, but the connections are a bit unusual/could be problem.

Had to get special cables,  'floating' ring (or floating pin3) in my setup.

Depends if you connect to/from balanced or unbalanced gear iirc, but there's info on the internet.

Got custom made XLR cables from Redco in USA and below cables.

https://www.loopipedals.com.au/product/custom-trs-to-ts-cable-for-tc-flashback-ii-delay/

Edited by Sheens

The compressors I liked the most are the DRAWMER (UK) ones, loved their somewhat 'warm' box sound.

Some models have quite a lot options, linked/dual mono, peak/RMS detection, hard/soft knee, limiter, autogain etc.

Had the VCA  and the (Multiband) FET compressors (don't remember if that had dual mono though).

Good quality gear without busting the bank. 

Edited by Sheens

1 hour ago, Sheens said:

The compressors I liked the most are the DRAWMER (UK) ones, loved their somewhat 'warm' box sound.

Some models have quite a lot options, linked/dual mono, peak/RMS detection, hard/soft knee, limiter, autogain etc.

Had the VCA  and the (Multiband) FET compressors (don't remember if that had dual mono though).

Good quality gear without busting the bank. 

Hu r u and watt half ewe dun whiff cheens?