Ben Osterhouse Pathfinder Violin

cclarry

On 7/14/2023 at 11:02 AM, Fleer said:

Osterhouse love!

I'm right there with you. Ben is one of those indie developers who marches by the beat of their own drum. He has a lot of talent and a unique approach to making string sample libraries. I find his work exciting and very creative.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm right there with you. Ben is one of those indie developers who marches by the beat of their own drum. He has a lot of talent and a unique take on his approach to making string libraries. I find his work exciting and very creative.  

It's amazing he's one of the few that produces string libraries that actually sound like strings we hear in film scores. I.E. Warm, dark and full...when used quitely or loud. It's amazing so many larger developers don't understand this tone, considering they are all trying to create "cinematic" libraries. 

A funny example is LASS, where all the EQ preset options are "Dark Knight", "Shawshank",  "Road To Predition", when you cannot just magically EQ you're way out of really thin and bright sounding recordings. It must be done at the recording stage. Much easier to brighten and thin out strings - than try to manufacture warmth / darkness.

Always hoped there would be a library - perhaps in a few years, since it would be enormous - that's not just multiple mic positions, but multiple microphone options with entirely different tonal characteristics in the source recordings. There are some percussion libraries that do this and it's wonderful. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

It's amazing he's one of the few that produces string libraries that actually sound like strings we hear in film scores. I.E. Warm, dark and full...when used quitely or loud. It's amazing so many larger developers don't understand this tone, considering they are all trying to create "cinematic" libraries. 

A funny example is LASS, where all the EQ preset options are "Dark Knight", "Shawshank",  "Road To Predition", when you cannot just magically EQ you're way out of really thin and bright sounding recordings. It must be done at the recording stage. Much easier to brighten and thin out strings - than try to manufacture warmth / darkness.

Always hoped there would be a library - perhaps in a few years, since it would be enormous - that's not just multiple mic positions, but multiple microphone options with entirely different tonal characteristics in the source recordings. There are some percussion libraries that do this and it's wonderful. 

There will never be a "last purchase" of any type of thing while I frequent this horrible place, will there? I need to get the Pathfinder libraries at least now. 😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jngnz said:

There will never be a "last purchase" of any type of thing while I frequent this horrible place, will there? I need to get the Pathfinder libraries at least now. 😭

Coming here is sort of like saying, "I'm going to keep digging this hole until I get to the bottom of it."

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, jngnz said:

Now's not the time to buy. Like, I keep getting an email alert that Sospiro Strings is on sale for ~$36, but I know it's sold for ~$15 before

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 7/15/2023 at 3:17 PM, jngnz said:

Sent you enrollment documents to join my Miserable Buyers Club so we can sometimes get social and go 'pathetic' in unity. Cheers! ;):D:D

Edited by chris.r