FedEx, Now You're Just F*n With Me

bitflipper

Everybody knows that feeling of anticipation waiting for the UPS/FedEx/DHL/Amazon truck to come down the street, like a kid waiting for Santa to come down the chimney. FedEx seems to be enjoying it more than I am.

The timeline so far...

4 June - ordered my new mixer from Sweetwater, knowing it's back-ordered. The product page says "we expect more in a few months".

28 June - get a call from my guy at Sweetwater, says a few came in unexpectedly and I was on the list to get one. Yay.

1 July - text message from FedEx saying it'll be delivered on the 2nd, signature required. Yay.

2 July - I stay home all day, in the garage with the door open so I don't miss the truck. But there is no delivery, even though the tracking status says "on truck for delivery". At 7:00 pm I check the status again, it says the package wasn't delivered because nobody was home. wtf? Liar!

3 July - tracker says it'll be delivered today. Again, I don't leave the house all day. But no delivery. At 7:00 pm I check the status again. It just says "no delivery attempt made" and the package is back at the distribution center. At this point my mixer has passed my house at least 4 times without stopping. FedEx, you're just taunting me now.

4 July - ha, ha, it's a holiday so no mixer for you. Maybe, maybe on the 5th - if you don't leave the house and camp in the driveway all day.

I'm beginning to think their tracker app exists only to remind us of the power they hold, that we'll only get stuff when FedEx deems us worthy. Maybe if I left out cookies.

• Haha 2

I'd reply but it's obvious Dave hasn't been on the forum today... 🤔

(I also hate it when you know the driver is running late so he skips a few deliveries as "Not at home!"  I have laminated signs I put on my door that say "[Delivery Service] I AM Home!  Ring the bell!!!" )

Edited by craigb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I once literally chased the FedEx truck down my driveway. He had just driven up, turned around and left while I watched in disbelief from 20 feet away. Never got out of his truck, much less ring the bell or knock.

I assume he was on an urgent mission, perhaps delivering transplant organs. And I'm sure he just didn't see me in his mirror as he accelerated away.

On another occasion, my gate was closed so they threw a $1200 microphone over it into the bushes where it sat all day and night in the rain until we accidentally discovered it. A testament to the ruggedness of Shure products, it was not damaged.

For these reasons I've made a point of being especially vigilant while awaiting deliveries. 

But...but...the convenience! Remember when we had to drive to a music store, make the purchase and then drive it all the way home? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Last year I got a delivery stolen by the delivery guy. I knew he would be coming between 7 pm and 10 pm one evening, so I kept a close eye on the street. Suddenly in the darkness I noticed a small unmarked white van turning up, stopping at the street corner, maybe twenty-five meters from where I was standing. I went out onto the sidewalk, not sure if that was my delivery, when the van after maybe 30 seconds pulled away and drove passed me. It was pretty dark and the street lamp across the street was broken so he probably didn’t see me waving my arms. I went back inside to my computer and noticed that according to the tracking site the package had been delivered one minute earlier. Yeah, right. Of course, he had only been standing in the street corner registering the fake delivery using the close-enough GPS coordinates.

The package contained some short, cheap XLR cables worth maybe €20, but it was ordered from a well-known electronics store. I guess this delivery guy thought that the small parcel might be something pretty valuable, maybe an iPhone or the like by the size and weight of it, and so decided to keep it. I guess he wasn’t very happy when he got home and opened the package.

Later that evening I got an email from the delivery company asking how my experience had been. And believe me, I did not hold back. They came back to me the next day and said an investigation were to be performed. Long story short, I got a new pair of XLR cables about a week later. As for the gig worker, the delivery company implied he wouldn’t get any more assignments. That's how it is living in a gig economy.

• Like 2

Hi Dave ! 

It certainly  can become a super stressful chain of events when you lay out some serious bucks and then the only thing you can do  involves having to wait around for the delivery .

I hope you get your Mixer soon .

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

I'm in a rush so I didn't read all the replies. Apologies if this was already mentioned.

Get the FedEx app. You can go in and digitally sign for your package so they deliver it without you having to be there when a signature is required.

I don't stress anymore when a seller says "signature required". It works. I've done it multiple times after my guitar fiasco with Sweetwater. I didn't know about it before I watched new guitar being driven away out of my driveway 3 ***ing times! 🤬🤬🤬🤬😡😡😡😡😡

Edited by Shane_B.
Fixed typo.

2 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Just went thru a similar scenario with a camera lens coming from B&H (overnight to OH from NJ).

Overnight took 3 days.  

They just never say "which" night. 😉 

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Overnight took 3 days. 

Yeh, I'd really be pissed if I'd paid for overnight delivery and still had to wait a week. Seems like you could either demand a refund or complain to B&H and have them demand a refund on your behalf. But I guess they count on the amount being too small to be worth the effort.

9 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Get the FedEx app. You can go in and digitally sign for your package so they deliver it without you having to be there when a signature is required.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of requiring a signature?

I've had items mistakenly delivered to me that were meant for my neighbor. A pre-signed acceptance would mean that item is now mine if I decide to be dishonest. The carrier would be off the hook because the log would show it having been delivered and the delivery acknowledged. Even DoorDash takes better precautions than that.

• Like 3

I wish.

No delivery today, either. Tracker still says "on FedEx vehicle for delivery" with today's date as the delivery date. They didn't even offer a lame excuse like claiming I wasn't home. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the package is really even on a FedEx truck, or if it's already being offered on Craigslist. 

Well, it's now the 6th. FedEx is confidently predicting a delivery will happen today. An hour ago the log was updated to simply say "package delayed".  No duh. 

Last night I googled "FedEx customer not available". It returned a litany of complaints going back ten years. Apparently this is a long-established tactic to write off delays without affecting their official on-time histories. 

FedEx does have a complaint line, but anecdotally it seems it's nothing but a formality and resolutions are rare. I will, however, give it a try if the package doesn't arrive today.

If it does come, you better believe I'll heft that package before I sign for it, to make sure they're not trying to hand me an empty box.

• Like 1