Sonar Price

How much are you willing to pay for the next release of Sonar  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What would be a reasonable price for the next release of Sonar

This poll is closed to new votes

They told us a lot of the cost of "old" Sonar was due to the bundled 3rd party instruments and plugins which is why they were not included with CBB

I for one use very little of the bundled plugins , I don't really use the Pro Channel and none of the instruments really cut it for tracks I make for my publishers. 

I would prefer to be able to pay for a bare bones version with no added "filler" that I will never use and let those that do want it all bundled in pay the extra if they wish.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

hey, on the plus side, Cakewalk Sonar can start getting reviewed again as it will be a paid product, and they'll have to advertise in the reviewer magazines / blogs / etc to get people to purchase it. the reviewers can, ahem, erm,  once again give their unbiased opinions 🙂and will no longer be unsupported by plugin developers who don't support free products... 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 3

The price shall be where the supply curve meets the demand curve. LOL 😆 🤣 😂

Or does that only apply to widgets?

Now that you brought back my college years of let's just say decades and decades ago I need to go out for a pitcher of beer and pizza just like after the finals. Problem is I don't drink anymore 🙃

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

A reasonable price is what a given user is prepared to pay.

The problem is that varies greatly from individual to individual. 

I make music income every quarter , just yesterday was notified I earned almost $1k from one of my tracks on a Youtube video which will likely cover whatever the are going to charge for the next 2 - 5yrs .....so whatever they are asking will be well worth it for me perosnally as I've used it for 25yrs, I'm fast and has pretty much everything I need, 

There are other folks just wanna dabble and make a few songs a year, they are not earning anything from what is essentially a professional grade tool. Those folks likely wouldn't be willing to pay as much as I would as there is no ROI.   Maybe this is why they are making Cakewalk Next s well so you have a consumer level package and a Pro level package and pay appropriately based on your needs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

The problem is that varies greatly from individual to individual. 

Yes. How good that we have different DAW's, which are priced differently. ;) 

Although you have to be careful with that really. Reaper, for example, is often praised for its low price. It's a very "bare bone" DAW though, which comes with no additional content at all, unlike other DAW's, and, if you're making a living with your music, the price is actually $225, which, considering you get zero content, is a rather regular price, comparable to the competition (considering that those come with a lot of content, compared to Reaper).

You can also take thousands of dollars for your DAW, like SawStudio does. The only question is if people are willing to pay so much for your software. It's all a matter of what the customer is willing to pay for it.

Bandlab will have to figure it out. And will have to see whether or not people are willing to pay that price. As usual.

Edited by chakko

2 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

There are other folks just wanna dabble and make a few songs a year, they are not earning anything from what is essentially a professional grade tool. Those folks likely wouldn't be willing to pay as much as I would as there is no ROI.   Maybe this is why they are making Cakewalk Next s well so you have a consumer level package and a Pro level package and pay appropriately based on your needs.

I rather see two different markets there. Just like with Cubase and Sequel.

I'm just a hobbyist, but considering the UI/workflow is more than 5 years old (which is a long time in the computer/tech field), there needs to be a significant overhaul  for Sonar to compete  in the current market

.ie  sampler channel, rompler, updated browser

Edited by Guerilla Genus

It would be a great gesture if all those with paid licenses for the last commercial version of Sonar Platinum be given reasonable credit towards this new version. I love this DAW, and have been using it for over 30 years, watching it grow. I'd hate for my existing Bandlab Sonar version to become unsupported and find myself having to purchase, full price, the next version. I am, of course, happy to continue supporting this fantastic product financially, but within reason. I'd also strongly recommend you don't introduce a subscription based model.

• Like 2

It’s actually a viable survey but gathering data from a handful of mostly loyal users doesn’t mean much . You intentions were good. 

Cakewalk could send out a proper survey to their entire user base which I believe is very large now.

My guess is 80 % of those people only have Cakewalk because it was free. A lot of them probably never turn it on. 
 Out of the rest most will be long time users who will either pay what ever the price is or continue using CbB. A few will leave as well .