Rack on its side

Gswitz

I'm considering putting all my gear on its side.  Anyone do this? 

Am I likely to overheat? Damage stuff? Or can I get away with it? 

This is a log pass through for the for place, so it has front and back access. 

20230603_145338.jpg

20230603_150146.jpg

Edited by Gswitz
New pict

Doesn't quite fit laying down?

Looks like it could get a bit hot in there though... 🤔

I went with rolling racks in one of my bedroom studio instead of trying to cram things into tight spaces.  More air flow!

The only thing you would need to worry about is heat dissipation. Rack components can handle a fair amount of "pretty hot," and are designed to be stacked (a middle unit gets the brunt of things anyway). Worst case, a small fan could force air through (especially if a pass through with outer open), but keeping the face flush with the opening (max air room behind the unit) may well be enough to satisfy cooling needs. If that rack is enclosed except for the front, it is no different than laying it flat.

However, if you get the idea of doing similar with a turntable, it is not advised :)

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gswitz said:

If gear dies I'll upgrade. 

I think your setting yourself up for an upgrade!!!  Ot a bad idea.

3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

listen while lying on your side if you don't want the music coming to you at a right angle

Couldn't he use a tilt EQ to off-set this?

:)

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

I have the very same model SKB, I use it in that very same orientation (though not next to a fireplace), and it's been working great that way for over 10 years. Nothing wrong with that. -As others have mentioned, you may have to re-orient yourself to work with it sometimes, and just watch out for neck strain!  -I'm sure the gal in the picture a few posts above also knows about that problem. 😬

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 3:57 PM, Gswitz said:

I'm considering putting all my gear on its side.  Anyone do this? 

Am I likely to overheat? Damage stuff? Or can I get away with it? 

This is a log pass through for the for place, so it has front and back access. 

20230603_145338.jpg

20230603_150146.jpg

Don't come out later complaining it broke because all the electrons fell out...

Looking at it, if your rack was more compact, you could slide the hole thing right-side up there. It seems to be only slightly larger than your bog standard 19" rack.

Confession time...  Since my apartment complex had a nice court, I used to play practice tennis with the receptionist from work who was pretty stacked and I used to intentionally do drop shots just to watch her run towards the net, bend over and try to reach the ball...  I'm not proud.  😁

(Plus I was dating her sister who was a hot AAA beach volleyball player, i.e., Pro level.  I only made it to AA...)

• Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 11:59 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Don't come out later complaining it broke because all the electrons fell out...

Looking at it, if your rack was more compact, you could slide the hole thing right-side up there. It seems to be only slightly larger than your bog standard 19" rack.

A non-portable rack would fit. Being ready to carry it out to a show is nice, but you are right... a new rack would solve the problem. 

you can also put a LCD screen near the rack and connect it to a camera put on it's side.

then you can just watch the LCD sreen that shows your rack in normal position. 

Edited by Sheens

12 minutes ago, Sheens said:

you can also put a LCD screen near the rack and connect it to a camera put on it's side.

then you can just watch the LCD sreen that shows your rack in normal position. 

Or you can just grind those rocks back a bit so the rack fits flat! 😂

• Great Idea 1